Harris Teeter

^haha yeah that Hamlet thing was classic...

anyway, this was in today's paper:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/11709295.htm

2nd vote is scheduled over rezoning for shopping center

Panel considering another Harris Teeter in Ballantyne area

Charlotte City Council is expected to try again Monday to decide on a Ballantyne-area zoning case that has sparked considerable debate on the role of government in retail development.

A tie vote last Monday forced another ballot this week on the request to rezone 14.3 acres at Ardrey Kell Road and U.S. 521. The zoning would change from single-family residential to neighborhood services use.

Developers want to build a shopping center with a Harris Teeter store at the site, which currently is vacant.

Developers, represented by Walter Fields, say the fast-growing south Mecklenburg area needs another grocery store. Critics, including the city planning staff and some council members, contend the Ballantyne area already has enough grocery stores.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regency Lake Drive is in Huntersville.  It's the new HT at Birkdale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that puts 4 Harris Teeters right within just 2-3 miles of each other and Lowes is just across the street. The Lake is being covered in grocery stores. Well its good for prices and features I guess. The Harris Teeter in Rosedale, which is only just 4 years old, is already being expanded and completely remodeled. They are spending a fortune on it it seems.

I just saw a report on 6NEWS @11 about S Charlotte's saturation with Harris Teeters... did anyone else see this report?

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie....2a5d874c5.html

I know they own the land at the corner of Ardrey Kell & Tom Short too. They already have a store planned at Ardrey Kell & Rea Rd, and now want one at Ardrey Kell at 521. They do have one currently at Ardrey Kell & Providence Road.

I didn't see the report, but they make a good point. I know at SouthPark, HT maintained two stores for many years. At first it was at the mall and at Sharon Corners, then it became the mall and Morrocroft, until someone finally woke up and decided to close the one at the mall.

Harris Teeter is just digging in their trenches in case a competitor comes in. What kills grocery stores isn't neccessarily the direct competition, it's when the competition has a leg up on location. Hopefully though HT has the reserves to fall back on if this expansion becomes too costly.

I wish there were more Teeters in the Concord area. We have 2, and one near the outskirts off of Mallard Creek Rd, but we really don't count that. In Concord, it's Food Lion or it's nothing pretty much. There is a Lowe's Food, but that's in Harrisburg.

We need to see some more Teeters in here.

When was the last time anyone was brought food by a Lion? It's not the King of the Jungle either, so you can throw that out the window. Most of the time its produce is nasty. Food Lion just makes no damn sense. It's like calling a clothing store "Jacket Hippo", or a toy store "Toy Jackrabbit". Am I the only one that thinks that way, because I usually am :D

Makes sense. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though, you know? Instead of putting of dozens of un-needed stores that look like sh!t after 2 years, how about taking some pride in your marketing and make it a place people want to shop at?

I guess that's why they all got canned though in the first place.

When was the last time anyone was brought food by a Lion? It's not the King of the Jungle either, so you can throw that out the window. Most of the time its produce is nasty. Food Lion just makes no damn sense. It's like calling a clothing store "Jacket Hippo", or a toy store "Toy Jackrabbit". Am I the only one that thinks that way, because I usually am :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stop it, your killing me! :rofl:

Of course harris teeter is going to have alot of stores in charlotte they are headquartered in matthews. They have to have the marketshare to show they dominate that market. I work for harris teeter in cary and there expansion now is in virginia. They are planning there biggest expansion ever. They are building i think 70 something stores over the next 3-5 years, and most are in the Washington DC market. Thats a huge expansion considering they only have around 120 stores right now. It could slap them in the face. But they are dominating the grocery industry right now. Most stores have a operating profit of around 2 percent. Harris teeter is above 4 percent that is unheard of. I think the expansion though is going to hurt them like it does most companies, they are based on the service, and service suffers when you bring in new people. So we will see.

Of course harris teeter is going to have alot of stores in charlotte they are headquartered in matthews.  They have to have the marketshare to show they dominate that market.  I work for harris teeter in cary and there expansion now is in virginia.  They are planning there biggest expansion ever.  They are building i think 70 something stores over the next 3-5 years, and most are in the Washington DC market.  Thats a huge expansion considering they only have around 120 stores right now.  It could slap them in the face.  But they are dominating the grocery industry right now.  Most stores have a operating profit of around 2 percent.  Harris teeter is above 4 percent that is unheard of.  I think the expansion though is going to hurt them like it does most companies,  they are based on the service, and service suffers when you bring in new people.  So we will see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

70 stores is a massive expansion for a company of this size...is that accurate? I've noticed a couple stores in NOVA. The one in Fairfax City is pretty interesting...pharmacy, wine, and general merchandise on the second floor (its actually featured as the image on the store locator page of their website)...I wonder why they've skipped over the Richmond market...hmmmmmmm

ukrops.gif:)

Archived