What do you do?

Raintree21

Human Resources Manager here. Enjoy this forum because of my interest in planning/economic development. Was going to major in land use management, but changed to personnel administration (for more flexible job prospects).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sort of a writer/researcher. I work for a production company. (Ok, so I work for my father.) I flesh out movie ideas into "real" movies. Well, potential movies. It's mostly work at home since most of my work involves a computer. It's also quite boring.

My dream job is to open a boutique that caters to 30-something fashion conscious women. A place that sells updated, cutting edge classics. I just need to find a person I can trust who also has a head for business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you receive direct payments from the chamber of commerce, you sound like you do everything they drool over attracting to the city. :)

i run the IMRA (copyright and content verification) dept. for a local cd/dvd manufacturer. i listen to music and watch dvd's all day. elricseven, i know you can appreciate that i too, am up to my neck in IPR (intellectual property rights) forms.

also, play guitar for a local band called BULLSHIP.

i run the IMRA (copyright and content verification) dept. for a local cd/dvd manufacturer.  i listen to music and watch dvd's all day.  elricseven,  i know you can appreciate that i too, am up to my neck in IPR (intellectual property rights) forms.

also, play guitar for a local band called BULLSHIP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Banker w/ Wachovia. But also a musician on the side. (Piano, Bass guitar, Violin, drums, Sax, Trombone.) You name I probably play it. I don't know how I became a Banker when I majored in music. Weird stuff... ;)

Do you sue people over their thoughts? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting question. First of all, you have to ask what type of IP law would it be covered under.

Trademark:

Identifies a source of goods. Your thoughts don't indicate a source of goods, maybe your brain, but I'm assuming that's not for sale. Also, the thoughts would be hard to detect, since the last time I checked, mind reading (except by a feminine spouse) is impossible.

Copyright:

Requires you to make a copy of something. It is well-accepted caselaw that even the ephemeral copy of software that is in RAM is a copy per se and could be infringing. Also, it is unlikely that you could actually have all of the copyrighted work "copied" into your brain for it to be a copy. You'd have to somehow picture the whole of the work in your mind simultaneously, otherwise it would likely fall under fair use. Also, there is the aforementioned unenforceability problem. We don't know what you're thinking.

Trade Secret:

You break into the secure vault and steal the Coca-Cola recipe not by making a copy, but by memorizing it and using it later to manufacture the same. Gotcha on this one, I'd sue you.

Patent:

Requires you to make, use, sell or import the invention. The invention therefore, in and of itself, would have to "be" a thought. Perhaps a process for reading minds or shooting energy bolts or some freaky SF concept? None of these seem likely, but IF something like that was invented, and you "used" it by performing the thoughts, then yes I'd sue you.

I haven't had the chance to tackle any of these tasks in court, but I'd be happy to. Especially for thet shooting energy bolts with your brain thing. That's pretty cool.

Hope that helps.

Wow! I see a lot of IT people such as myself are members of this form!

What a great way for a recent grad to network :D

Most of the mods and both admins (monsoon and myself) are IT peeps. Comes in handy for a site like this. IT is one of the worst jobs in the industry for underpay and long hours. I got to work at 6:30AM and I'm still at work, 6:42PM. Friday night too...how sad, LOL!

do you receive direct payments from the chamber of commerce, you sound like you do everything they drool over attracting to the city.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL... I wish! The city didn't attract me exactly. I followed my husband who followed a job at Microsoft. But it's a nice city. I swear I'm the only liberal in town, but it's a very nice city.

Archived