Columbia acts to ban billboards

vicupstate

City to consider ban on billboards

Moderator's Note: Please do not post the entire article. Pull the important info from it, and always provide a link. You can remove this message when you repost :) -Spartan

Article

It will be interesting to see if the city will actually go through with this. I hope so.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Don't forget the new article posting rule.)

Man, it will all be worth it if it's just that one billboard beside the Gervais St. Bridge! :) SEVEN years, though? Gimme a break!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know if the Gervais Street billboard is on the property that West Columbia just assembled? I was eating Sunday Brunch at Cafe Strudel and the view was just wonderful except for that eyesore.

(Don't forget the new article posting rule.)

Man, it will all be worth it if it's just that one billboard beside the Gervais St. Bridge! :) SEVEN years, though? Gimme a break!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, don't forget that new rule. Any plan to remove even one billboard is a success in my view.

Does anyone know if the Gervais Street billboard is on the property that West Columbia just assembled?  I was eating Sunday Brunch at Cafe Strudel and the view was just wonderful except for that eyesore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum debi! I think that one is on the other side of Meeting St from the W Cola property.

Good riddance to billboards. What's up with the legislature wanting to protect billboard OWNERS? Why must we continually be held captive by the wealthy? Its time for a revolution! Vive la revolution!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, they are a legitimate business even though we don't like them.

Amen.  Those freaking things are an eyesore indeed.  Especially the ones that sit on Blossom street on the USC campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one at the bridge over the railroadtracks? I hate that one. But I think that Blossom is a US highway, so it wouldn't be affected.

Actually, I like billboards, especially the really tall ones that are on the side of buildings like in Atlanta and Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's one thing I have learned from this site, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hate billboards, they have ruined the unincoporated areas around my hometown of Florence. Some Atlanta suburbs and some of the unincorporated parts around Myrtle Beach are simply ridiculous with huge double decker boards every few feet. Colorado and Vermont have banned them statewide. I think some other states have too. Having been to both states, I can atest that it looks much better. Both states are so beautiful to begin with, it would be a shame to mar the landsape with those crass things.

It looks like the morons in the legislature are set to make SC the billboard capital of the world. SC already leads the nation in billboards per interstate mile.

To paraphrase Kilgore(?): I don't think I shall ever see, a billboard as lovely as a tree.

This is from the Columbia Star:

Billboard chronicles

City zoning administrator Marc Mylott, who is also the city’s director of development services, outlined ordinance #2005–031, otherwise called the Billboard Ordinance. In the State House, House Bill 3381 breezed through. It essentially takes away local control over billboards. The Senate has to pass its version, which could happen in the next two weeks. At issue was whether the city had to pay full financial compensation to include future rents, if a billboard was ordered down. The ordinance as written came in two components: (1) a ban on new billboards and (2) an amortization plan for fair and just compensation. The mixed response surfaced that allowed anticipated approval for the ban but not for the amortization. “Opens the gates,” as Rickenmann put it.

Full article is here

(you have to scroll down a ways)

Just wondering... would the General Assembly look so kindly on legislation that required cities and counties to pay full finanacial compensation to include future sales at sexually-oriented businesses, when they are shut down by a local government? Oh, I forgot, closing an adult business involves "community standards". That explains the difference. "Community Standards" don't apply to physical appearances. Or maybe, it just that our state reps and state senators don't receive campaign contributions from the adult industry? Nah - that couldn't be it.

Hey, Waccamatt - where do I sign up for that revolution??

Just wondering...  would the General Assembly look so kindly on legislation that required cities and counties to pay full finanacial compensation to include future sales at sexually-oriented businesses, when they are shut down by a local government?     

Oh, I forgot, closing an adult business involves "community standards". That explains the difference.  "Community Standards" don't apply to physical appearances.    Or maybe, it just that our state reps and state senators don't receive campaign contributions from the adult industry? Nah - that couldn't be it.

Hey, Waccamatt - where do I sign up for that revolution??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good point.

One thing that can be done about this is to do a swap. You can get the billboards moved into the outer parts of the cities to clean up the core sections. Nobody looses out this way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an action item for those of you willing to do something about this that live in the area.

Contact Sen. John Courson and ask him to vote AGAINST 'The Billboard Protection Act' which would make it IMPOSSIBLE for counties to remove billboards, even to widen streets, without paying exhorbitant funds. The formula being proposed would require government to pay lost opportunity (future profits). Has this ever been required anywhere?! OR gov't would have to pay to relocate the billboard to places like Ballentine, Blythewood or Garners Ferry. There would be a revolt! So, if you have the time and energy, please drop him a line...

Here's Courson's contact info:

Senator John E. Courson

District 20 - Lexington & Richland Cos.

Contact Address:

(H) P.O. Box 8087, Columbia, 29202

Bus. (803) 799-5533 Home (803) 256-7853

E-Mail Address: [email protected]

I want to see the billboards removed as much as anyone, however there is likely a constitutionality issue with forcing a private entity to remove a means on income from private land. Its one thing to prevent it from happening, but its another thing entirely to take that existing source of income from someone. I don't have any good solution to this.

Archived