Q&A with Herb Weiss

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbs,

A friend of mine recently bought his first house in your city. I was telling him about the articles and everything Ive heard about pawtucket and actually got him to go to a city council meeting. he was very impressed with everything and now he is advocating that other members of his family make a similar investment.

Also I was wondering about the condition of the water ways along the old mill site's. In most northern new england locations the old mill towns now prosper as tourist attractions for there whit water rafting. Is the water at a state were people could raft, or at least use it for out door activities.

old mill towns now prosper as tourist attractions for there white water rafting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lowell has a white water rafting program, I hear it's quite successful. There was an article in ProJo yesterday about North Providence buying paddle boats. I could see paddle boats in the Providence River and perhaps somewhere in Pawtucket as well.

Lowell White Water Rafting

I could see paddle boats in the Providence River and perhaps somewhere in Pawtucket as well.

I've kayaked in the Providence River before, awesome views of the city, although the passage under the mall is kinda low and you might have to duck.

• 10 months later...

Herb has offered to make himself available to answer more questions about Pawtucket. Please feel free to ask your Pawtucket question to Herb in this thread, he will try to answer your questions as time permits.

For those who don't know Herb, he is the Economic and Cultural Affairs officer for the City of Pawtucket.

• 1 month later...

Just curious. Are you aware of any restaurant chains or coffee shops moving into Pawtucket- -or significant retail establishments? A Starbucks would be nice, ha, ha.

Sorry for the delay in responding. We may have a deli and dessert restaurant and an Italian restaurant moving to the area. We are in discussions with a person who wants to open up a small coffee cafe with outside tables, too. Anything else that you might want to know, call me at 724-5200. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Office, City of Pawtucket.

Providence Monthly reported in the May issue that the following restaurants were opening in Pawtucket: Corrine's, Jap Wrap, and Home Plate. They didn't go into any further details. Also Chef Water's Aqua Viva is moving to Pawtucket to at or near the location of his new cooking school, I'm not sure where that is.

Providence Monthly reported in the May issue that the following restaurants were opening in Pawtucket: Corrine's, Jap Wrap, and Home Plate. They didn't go into any further details. Also Chef Water's Aqua Viva is moving to Pawtucket to at or near the location of his new cooking school, I'm not sure where that is.

Chef Walter's restaurant will be at the old Colonial Bank building next to the old registry and across the parking lot from Baily Lofts.

Chef Walter's restaurant will be at the old Colonial Bank building next to the old registry and across the parking lot from Baily Lofts.

So this will be a restaurant too? This is real exciting, more activity downtown! When's it gonna open/get constructed, etc.?

So this will be a restaurant too? This is real exciting, more activity downtown! When's it gonna open/get constructed, etc.?

Chef Walter is working on his financing to purchase the building. He will relocate his Federal Hill restaurant to that site -- once he closes on the builidng it will probably take a year to build out the property. It will house a restaurant, an international cooking school, condos, and a gormet food store. Chef Walter has also brought a friend of his to our office -- she is interested in opening up a cafe that will serve cold italian sandwiches and coffee. Italian dishes will be made off site and microwaved at her cafe.

Oh I get it now. They look so similar. Isn't there a church or something in the one next to China Inn?

There is a store front church on the small strip of stores abutting the China Inn. Those buildings are owned by the Pawtucket YMCA. -- Herb Weiss

• 5 weeks later...

There is a store front church on the small strip of stores abutting the China Inn. Those buildings are owned by the Pawtucket YMCA. -- Herb Weiss

This thread is to answer any question you might have about Pawtucket from the City perspectivie (about initiatives in anydepartment). If I don't know the answer I will find out. Please take advantage of this -- Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer

Herb I've been wondering about this for a while: Why on so many streets around the city (i.e. York Ave), are there so many discontinuous sidewalks? Were developers given an option of putting in sidewalks and just chose not to or something? It's quite odd, they'll be concrete sidewalks in front of one house, none in front of the next, and then something like a strip of asphalt at the next house.

Also, there are two dirt lots on Central Ave that I'm wondering if anything is going up on. One is right next the the Central Ave Bakery/Brazilian Hair Design building (I think its Central and Perrin Ave). The other is right between Pawtucket Credit Union and the Church, just west of Newport Ave. Any idea?

Herb I've been wondering about this for a while: Why on so many streets around the city (i.e. York Ave), are there so many discontinuous sidewalks? Were developers given an option of putting in sidewalks and just chose not to or something? It's quite odd, they'll be concrete sidewalks in front of one house, none in front of the next, and then something like a strip of asphalt at the next house.

Also, there are two dirt lots on Central Ave that I'm wondering if anything is going up on. One is right next the the Central Ave Bakery/Brazilian Hair Design building (I think its Central and Perrin Ave). The other is right between Pawtucket Credit Union and the Church, just west of Newport Ave. Any idea?

Thanks for your questions -- I do not really know how to answer these questions so I copied your message and emailed it to the Director of my agency and asked him to respond. When he ccs me an answer I will post it for all to see. Keep asking questions. Herb Weiss

• 1 month later...

Also, there are two dirt lots on Central Ave that I'm wondering if anything is going up on. The other is right between Pawtucket Credit Union and the Church, just west of Newport Ave. Any idea?

Well, I can see now that this is going to be surface parking for the church. I guess it's okay since it's sandwiched between the church and the school anyway. Something nice up to the sidewalk had better be built on Central next to the bakery/Brazilia Salon, or I'll really be pissed.