axon of uptown Charlotte

cityboi

This axon shows where city leaders would like to an uptown ballpark. It looks like I-277 would have to be capped to accomidate the development. I also noticed what apears to be twin towers just north of the ballpark. Does anyone know about that? Will those towers get built?

charlotteplan.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also this site talks about downtown revitalization plans for Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. You'll have to click the arrows to move to the next city. Also note that the part that talks about Greensboro's ballpark is not updated. The stadium is being built in the northwest end of downtown instead of the south end along Elm Street.

http://www.coopercarry.com/CaseStudies/00T...r/Raleigh1.html

Those two towers are where the new Westin hotel is located are they not? Also, this is the first I've heard about an aquarium being built uptown...which would be excellent! I'd love to see something like Shedd's Aquarium in Chicago in Charlotte as well as some big-city like museums in our center city. I believe the Children's Museum will help with some tourism, but not with as many poeple as a large aquarium, museum, etc. would.

This picture you posted is very confusing... the most recent proposal for the Baseball Stadium was to put it at Memorial Stadium adjacent to CPCC...

As people have noted this pic is missing the Westin and also Gateway Village...but it has what appears to be the future Multi-Modal Station.

It has a First Ward Park where the current Arena is under construction...that park has now slide to the North of where it is depicted.

I also read some where that Charlotte wants to restore its Carolina Theater as well as building an aquarium uptown. Are they still going to build the large uptown concert amphitheater?

Here's a rendering of what the aquarium was to look like. I think it was part of the failed referendum. I think it's 99% dead now.

charlotteaquariumproposal.jpg

I don't know... North Carolina already operates at least two state aquariums that I know of. They're on the coast and there may even be more than two of them. I know one is in Manteo, but I'm not sure where the other is located.

Although, on the other hand, putting a major aquarium in Charlotte would create an attraction that's more accessible to more North Carolinians. From here in Asheville, it's actually a shorter drive to go to a beach in South Carolina or Virginia than it is to visit the Outer Banks. As far as I know, whenever someone in Western North Carolina gets a yen to go take a gander at fish, he or she is off to either the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga or the South Carolina state aquarium in Charleston.

And come to think of it, that building in the rendering is stunning though. If the idea of an aquarium in Charlotte floats to the surface again (tee hee), I certainly hope they'll dust off that rendering.

Weren't aquariums kind of a fad for cities in the 90's? Meaning, that was the project every city wanted to go out and build? Discovery Place was the main push behind this facility & they're currently too caught up in expansion plans of their own to worry about fishes.

Guest donaltopablo

I think that the aquarium is a very good idea but I'm not sure how it would be in Charlotte being that it isn't located in the coastal region.

Certainly hasn't stopped Atlanta. I'm pretty sure Atlanta is further from a major body of water than Charlotte is.

Archived