other raleigh projects

Rufus

okay so we all know about the convention center, its hotel, the paramount, and the quorum center, but what about the other projects. these include the renaissance hotel at north hills and the westin at crabtree. anybody have more info on these, including renderings?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it is, but when Terminal C was built in the late '80's it was designed to be a hub for American Air I believe. Since they pulled out in 1995 RDU is more of a Destination or Departure Airport not a layover airport (like charlotte/atlanta). So the new design will allow greater flexibility and have way more space for added check points and gates. Then after this terminal is complete a Totally new Terminal A will be designed and constructed probably finishing around 2011-12.

Then my guess is the terminals will be renamed A and B. It just makes more since.

Nice that they're renovating the terminal(s) I guess, since they seem a bit dated. But they've never seemed inadequate to me. I've flown around Thanksgiving a number of times, pre and post 9/11, and long waits/crowding have just never been an issue at all. I've never had to park there (always took TTA or got dropped off) so I can't vouch for that situation. At any rate, I hope all the money they spend on this renovation doesn't somehow come full circle and affect the Cheapness of flying out of RDU (with a capital, bold, and italicised C - we've got the second cheapest airport in the COUNTRY folks)

I'm not a huge fan of air travel (it feels very unnatural to me), but I am a fan of design. Terminal C is alright for a small terminal, but Terminal A blows. Sure it's functional, but it's totally uninspiring. Terminal A is also a mess when it's really crowded, and you can tell certain elements are cheaply rigged to handle the increased capacity. It's just due for an overhaul. On the other hand, Terminal C is dated but it at least has some vague suggestion of style.

Archived