Museums in your city

I was on a flight back to Minneapolis from LA last Thursday and I came across this article about the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis:

Walker Art Center

This is going to be pretty sweet when they open it up next month, and it got me to wondering about museums in other cities. How are the museums in your city? Are there some unique ones that are relatively unknown but are worth knowing about?

Please share some of your favorites, whether it is their architecture, collections, or something that is just plain unique about it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Portland Museum of Art has a wonderful collection, but I hate the building. It's an I.M. Pei monstrosity. There is a particular problem with the stairs leading between floors where the thread length is such that it makes it uncomfortable and awkward to climb the stairs. I used have a class in the auditorium in the basement, so I spent a lot of time in there.

in Charlotte we need some more museums. There is talk about having 2 in one building though, (2 art) uptown. I hope something gets built eventually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The two museums might be part of a new bank tower right? Charlotte would really be hurting without its banks.

No pictures, but the Frist Museum of Art, or the Frist Center for the Visual Arts, whatever it's called is actually quite nice. Its in the old postoffice that they renovated and they have a very good collection. It's nice to go down every once in a while to check out anything new.

Art museums in Minneapolis

Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum

weisman.jpg

The Minneapolis Institute of Art

mia.jpg

Walker Art Center

walker.jpg

American Swedish Institute

turnblad.jpg

Bell Museum of Natural History

Art museums in St. Paul

Minnesota Museum of American Art