Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

Norfolk is the cultural and economic center of our area. Not withstanding the fact that they paid for it, so let them name it.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am all for them naming it Norfolk whatever. That is not my point. The point I was trying to make is that from the article they clearly stated that they were trying to go for a "regional" name. I don't know why else they would make that distinction unless they were planning on putting something other than Norfolk in the name.

NCT?  Does that stand for Norfolk Cruise Terminal?  The article said they didn't want "Terminal" in the title.  What about PNC... Port Norfolk Centre (although there is a neighborhood in Portsmouth called Port Norfolk).
Sounds too much like PNC Bank, who already owns many entertainment venues around the country.

How about HRPA for Hampton Roads Port Authority?

There is no such authority. The local port authority is The Port Authority of Virginia, and I doubt they have much stake in this endeavor.

How about:

Norfolk Cruise and Waterfront Visitors' Center, affectionately just called the Norfolk Cruise Center for short.

I like the idea of going for something regional but at the same time I really believe Norfolk should be put somewhere in the name especially since they are the ones who paid $30 million+ for this building. I like this name game :) Here are some of my thoughts for a name...

1. Norfolk Metro Cruise Center

2. Norfolk Regional Cruise Port

3. Norfolk Nautical Center/Port

4. Norfolk International Cruise Port ( I'm just joking with this name lol)

They may not sound great I guess but I wanted to go for that Norfolk name with a regional punch.

Or alternatively the Virginia Cruise Terminal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like Virginia Cruise Terminal, even though I wish Norfolk could be in the name.

And when folks depart from their cruise ship, hopefully theY will stick around for the Virginia Symphony, the Virginia Opera, and/or the Virginia Stage Company!

Chesapeake Pirate

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

I really like Virginia Cruise Terminal, even though I wish Norfolk could be in the name.

And when folks depart from their cruise ship, hopefully theu will stick around for the Virginia Symphony, the Virginia Opera, and/or the Virginia Stage Company!

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too think that it should include Norfolk but this might be an attempt to be regional now by the city officials which should be applauded. I too hope that these venues are visited by the people that travel the cruise ship. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's shots of the Norfolk Cruise Terminal Progress:

A Barge used for a crane and materials:

cruiseterm1.jpg

Quick shot of construction site:

cruiseterm2.jpg

The Cruise Terminal island is complete as the building now begins emerging from the water:

cruiseterm3.jpg

Test piles have begun for either the arrivals or departures section of the terminal:

crusieterm4.jpg

Another angle of the terminal arrivals or departures construction site:

crusieterm5.jpg

Seems like I read about this earlier.. somewhere. Anyway, I do hope they can get some other ship lines in there asap since they are spending so much money to make way to dock those huge ships.

Yeah there was an article a while ago about another cruise line leaving but i think this one is new. It really sucks but like Fraim said, I'm confident that other lines will join soon! :thumbsup:

Yeah there was an article a while ago about another cruise line leaving but i think this one is new. It really sucks but like Fraim said, I'm confident that other lines will join soon! :thumbsup:

Yeah, we definately had something posted about this here some months ago. It does seem like this report is far less upbeat than the last one. I wonder how this is gonna affect the Hilton?

Have any of you seen the men in the water stripping the forms yet? This is really something to see. The concrete deck is so low they cant fit a barge under there so they have divers go down there and strip the steel beams and formwork. These guys make more than decent money.

Another hunch is that the city is too involved in this one and its going to take a slow start going vertical.

Edited by soloextreme

Have any of you seen the men in the water stripping the forms yet? This is really something to see. The concrete deck is so low they cant fit a barge under there so they have divers go down there and strip the steel beams and formwork. These guys more than decent money.

Another hunch is that the city is too involved in this one and its going to take a slow start going vertical.

Those divers get paid extremely well. My dad works for NS and they were working on some piles for NS and he said they get some bank dude.