Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

The next cruise ship to arrive on Norfolk is Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas on April 28. I'm not entirely certain, but I think the new terminal will be open by then.

Yeah you're right. I decided to research past articles and found this:

The first sailing from the terminal will be a Royal Caribbean cruise in April.

The new cruise terminal is going to be a boon for vacationers in the Eastern US. ORF should benefit, also. Don't some cruise fares include flights to and from Norfolk? Hotels also may offer special rates to cruise travelers.

:offtopic: But are you going to keep your Okinawa tag now that you are living Stateside, OT?

The new cruise terminal is going to be a boon for vacationers in the Eastern US. ORF should benefit, also. Don't some cruise fares include flights to and from Norfolk? Hotels also may offer special rates to cruise travelers.

:offtopic: But are you going to keep your Okinawa tag now that you are living Stateside, OT?

They do have package deals. I was reading a article that stated that.

Is Holland America still sailing in and out of Norfolk?

Holland America announced they were ending cruises from Norfolk, however that was before the terminal was announced. City officials had hoped that HA would change their mind, but as of now there's been no further details, i believe 2006 was HA's last year out of Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk makes bid as cruise port

The first port facility built from the ground up since the Homeland Security Act, Half Moone strives to be much more than a place to check IDs and luggage.First, it looks different from other terminals, often dreary warehouse-style facilities stuck in the industrial sections of port cities. Half Moone has a rounded glass structure at its center, surrounded by spacious decks that echo the clean lines of the cruise ships that will dock there. Located in the heart of a revitalized downtown, even its name -- Celebration Center -- sets it apart from other cruise terminals.

• 2 weeks later...

Project overbudget due to city delay and inaction?

Anyone noticing a pattern here? Sounds an awful lot like the Hilton situation to me. Perhaps we need to streamline the process a bit.

The city has agreed to pay an additional $1.5 million to the company building the downtown cruise terminal to settle a claim over construction delays. The payout represents a 7.1 percent increase to the $21.1 million contract the city awarded S.B. Ballard Construction Co. in August 2005. It comes after Ballard, based in Virginia Beach, filed a several-inch-thick claim with the city in June, saying incomplete structural drawings, conflicts with a temporary building, additional work and other issues had pushed the project 159 days behind schedule.

That gave it a completion date of June 2007, which would be a problem because the first cruise ship - Royal Caribbean International's Empress of the Seas - arrives April 28.

"I've got men sitting on the job doing nothing; working on non critical path work just trying to kill the day," Stephen B. Ballard, president of Ballard Construction, wrote to the city in November 2005. "This is no way to run a job or any way to build such a fine-looking facility.

• 3 weeks later...

I always forget about this project when i'm out taking pictures.

They were just bout complete with the glass wall along the Elizabeth, the roof was enclosed and the back wall facing Nauticus was complete as well, with interior work to go. I'll try and get some pics if i remember tomorrow or Tuesday

I always forget about this project when i'm out taking pictures.

They were just bout complete with the glass wall along the Elizabeth, the roof was enclosed and the back wall facing Nauticus was complete as well, with interior work to go. I'll try and get some pics if i remember tomorrow or Tuesday

I drove by on Saturday, and it looked pretty impressive. The exterior did seem to be close to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of turning an otherwise utilitarian space into a kind of museum. This will certainly make the place more interesting to visit. I can't wait to see the completed building. I wonder if the cruise lines will be marketing these cruises to the Washington market? Baltimore has a cruise port, but we don't seem to hear much about cruises from there- at least in the DC market. Some sort of shuttle service would be beneficial.