Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

Once the terminal is completed, I think you'll see a couple of new ships come in for sure, but it will take Nauticus' marketers to work hard to keep expounding the virtues of the HR area to make it work in the long run. The cruise industry is notoriously fickle with their ports of call, so keeping a fresh supply of new lines or ships coming is very important to the long term profitability of the terminal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO this cruise terminal is going to make Norfolk great. Just seeing those enormous ships at Nauticus makes me teary eyed, haha. But this cruise terminal is only gonna make it better, and i can't wait till it opens.

PS: today's my 17th birthday and our soccer team just won our first game in 2 years!!! Just thought I'd share how extatic I am!! :D

IMO this cruise terminal is going to make Norfolk great. Just seeing those enormous ships at Nauticus makes me teary eyed, haha. But this cruise terminal is only gonna make it better, and i can't wait till it opens.

PS: today's my 17th birthday and our soccer team just won our first game in 2 years!!! Just thought I'd share how extatic I am!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Happy Birthday Okinawa! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Good article by Daily Press! :thumbsup:

By sea and by air

Whether Hampton Roads is the destination or just the gateway to the destination, tourists will drive to the area to fly or hop on a cruise line.

Both air travel and the cruise industries have served a growing number of travelers in recent years. Whether those people come to or through the region, they usually spend money in restaurants, hotels and entertainment venues along the way.

CRUISES

Four cruise lines - Celebrity Cruises, Holland America, Radisson Seven Seas and Carnival - depart from Norfolk this year. Radisson and Celebrity are moving their ships to other ports in 2006. But this year there are 48 departures and two arrivals from Norfolk.

The number of passengers sailing out of Norfolk skyrocketed to 107,000 in 2004, up from 50,000 in 2003. About 110,000 tourists will sail out of Nauticus in 2005, the second full year of year-round cruising. They will spend about $11.4 million while in the region. The 40,000 crew members that leave the ships in Norfolk in 2005 will dole out another $4.4 million.

"We did a great job last year, but we have a better idea of where the passengers are coming from," said Stephen Kirkland, manager of cruise operations and marketing at Nauticus. "We're targeting different markets."

Surprisingly, 40 percent of passengers are coming from at least 300 miles away. The top states outside of Virginia were Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas. Nauticus is working with the cruise lines to promote Norfolk as part of the vacation.

"We're encouraging them to come and stay a couple nights before or after their cruise," said Kirkland.

AIR TRAVEL

Both airports in the region expect to continue a torrid pace of growth this year but don't believe that passengers will notice any major differences.

Almost 916,000 passengers flew out of the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport in 2004, an increase of 25 percent from 2003. The growth of the airport continued to soar as it increased the number of passengers by 18 percent in April 2005.

"We're completely expecting it to rise and surpass a million passengers this year," said Sarah Sager, marketing manager for the Newport News airport.

The Federal Aviation Administration warned last month of record passenger demand for flights this year. Coupled with airlines' shrunken staffing and more security measures, there could be extra delays, said the FAA. But neither local airport believes that will happen here.

Norfolk International Airport boarded almost 3.8 million passengers in 2004, an increase of 10 percent from 2003. The airport continued to log gains in the first two months of 2005. While there's no official projections, airport Executive Director Kenneth R. Scott expects the trend to continue....

To be continued...

Surprisingly, 40 percent of passengers are coming from at least 300 miles away. The top states outside of Virginia were Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas. Nauticus is working with the cruise lines to promote Norfolk as part of the vacation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^^This really caught my attention! When you can get people from Florida, the cruise capital of the U.S., to come here to take cruises, you must be doing something right!

It's funny how the daily press seems to be covering new developments in Norfolk better than the pilot nowadays <_< .

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any updates on the cruise terminal. havn't heard much about it in a while. Whith everyone being at Harborfest or clubs someone has got to have some progress report. Are they still driving piles? Piles finished? Has work started on the artificial landing? The suspense is killing me! :o

Has anyone got any updates on the cruise terminal.  havn't heard much about it in a while.  Whith everyone being at Harborfest or clubs someone has got to have some progress report.  Are they still driving piles?  Piles finished? Has work started on the artificial landing?  The suspense is killing me! :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha! Yeah I feel the same way, but the last I remember anyone saying anything (a couple weeks ago), they said that piles were still being driven. It just sucks that whenever a cruise ship comes in they have to stop work on the whole project until the ship leaves because of safety issues.