Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

• 5 weeks later...

Watching this project develop is going to be quite interesting. Nothing easy about it. Laydown area is mimimal, deliveries are going to be difficult, and the erection of a tower crane is damn near impossible. this will go down as one of more difficult projects in the area when completed.

Watching this project develop is going to be quite interesting. Nothing easy about it. Laydown area is mimimal, deliveries are going to be difficult, and the erection of a tower crane is damn near impossible. this will go down as one of more difficult projects in the area when completed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will they even need a tower crane though? There will be no significant height to this project that i'm aware of.

Could use a barge crane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eeeeh, I guess thats a possibility, but not likely they will use one. The problem they would encounter with a barge crane would be reaching the other side of the structure to unload deliveries, move material, etc. Versus using a tower crane, where you dont have to worry about that. There are pros and cons for both I suppose. I guess we'll just wait and see what they decide...

I may be wrong, but with the tight schedule that they have, I surely wouldnt want to stop construction to move my crane and potentially stop work for a couple days. Not only will they loose productivity starting and stopping but they will have extra costs associated in moving and coordinating everything. If they had a tower crane they wouldnt have to stop to move the crane at all. It is my opinion that they would have the most productivity with a tower crane.

that is true but it doesn't take much time to use a tug boat to move the crane. All of this is taken in for the constuction. They have been doing this the entire time of this project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but this is a very early phase of the project and there were also a lot of events going on at the time that caused them to keep stopping **cough** Regis & Kelly**cough**. That being said, I think they're starting to get to the meat of this thing now, and may be ready to employ different construction techniques as a result.

Yes, but this is a very early phase of the project and there were also a lot of events going on at the time that caused them to keep stopping **cough** Regis & Kelly**cough**. That being said, I think they're starting to get to the meat of this thing now, and may be ready to employ different construction techniques as a result.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only time will tell!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are too funny! How about NCT?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NCT? Does that stand for Norfolk Cruise Terminal? The article said they didn't want "Terminal" in the title. What about PNC... Port Norfolk Centre (although there is a neighborhood in Portsmouth called Port Norfolk).

NCT?  Does that stand for Norfolk Cruise Terminal?  The article said they didn't want "Terminal" in the title.  What about PNC... Port Norfolk Centre (although there is a neighborhood in Portsmouth called Port Norfolk).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How 'bout "The Gateway". Referencing the gateway into downtown.