Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

Finally there are some street level close-up pics of the Cruise terminal! My excitement about its progress is slightly overshadowed by the fact that nearly all the cruise lines are deciding to leave. :(

I believe that things will change once it is built. I think they will have some awesome package deals going. I don't think the city would build this if they didn't have some lines guaranteed, especially after all the flack that they caught from building Nauticus. But they may have not learned there lesson or the lines that left were a big shock to them.

Let's not forget that construction has to stop every time a cruise ship pulls in to port. It is in the cities best interest to thin the amount of ships that call to port to get this thing built as quickly as possible before steel on concrete prices and inflation cause the building to skyrocket in price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's great news to hear that the cruise lines are coming back. I guess it can be attributed to market swings. They had better get moving on that terminal, it's like watching ice cubes melt. BTW wouldn't it be nice to market Norfolk as a destination with a light rail line to the ocean front? We'd really see more lines using the Norfolk terminal with more options of activities for a port of call.

Nice!

For our honeymoon, my fiance and I want to go to Belize, but I think time has pass to get a passport...we procrastinate a little :) But we might save Belize for next year. Today I mentioned taking a cruise out of Norfolk. This might be a possibility! I'd be nice to not have to drive to Florida to get on a half decent ship. :good:

Edited by metalman

It's great news to hear that the cruise lines are coming back. I guess it can be attributed to market swings. They had better get moving on that terminal, it's like watching ice cubes melt. BTW wouldn't it be nice to market Norfolk as a destination with a light rail line to the ocean front? We'd really see more lines using the Norfolk terminal with more options of activities for a port of call.

Does anyone remember what the break-even number for ports of call/departing cruises was? I think they broke it down into passenger numbers as well. Seems to me that 175,000 was right around breakeven for the terminal, correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone remember what the break-even number for ports of call/departing cruises was? I think they broke it down into passenger numbers as well. Seems to me that 175,000 was right around breakeven for the terminal, correct me if I'm wrong

Not really sure what that number is, but I think Norfolk will surpass that within the next few years. As we get closer to the completion date I think we'll be hearing more of these type announcements.

From the article in the pilot today:

Block said none of Royal Caribbean

Goes to show you that Norfolk is not panicking about the "loss" of cruises. I'm sure they realized it was going to happen especially when the cruise terminal is now deep into construction. But business will come back especially knowing that most of the cruises we lost were due to company reshufflings rather that lack of business. The opening of the terminal next year will only add momentum to the revitalization of the cruise business.

• 2 weeks later...