Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

I guess a leading cruise magazine "cruise travel" had a 4 page article on norfolks cruise industy in their april issue. Hopefully I can find an online link because I really want to see this.

Found it. link

"Cruiseship passengers simply love Norfolk," said Stephen Kirkland, manager of cruise operations and marketing for Cruise Norfolk. "In fact, we've been so successful that we're building a brand new 80,000 square-foot terminal that will open in early 2007."

The new $36-million terminal (see rendering on page 12) will include a dramatic entrance and rotunda, as well as a huge amount of exterior waterfront terrace space overlooking downtown Norfolk and Norfolk Harbor on the Elizabeth River. There will also be a large waiting lounge for boarding passengers, as well as a new baggage area for debarking passengers.

:) Wow, I guess we were their "port of the month". They gave us a pretty glowing review too. :thumbsup:

The cultural scene downtown is alive and well, thanks to a number of galleries, museums, organizations, and festivals. For starters, every Norfolk visitor will find something of interest at the Chrysler Museum of Art. Described by the New York Times as "one of the pleasantest places in the United States to while the day away," the museum is home to more than 30,000 original works of art displayed in 55 galleries--with especially rich collections of American, Italian, and French paintings, as well as a world-renowned glass collection and a gallery devoted solely to photography.

Interesting how things have changed, use to be travel writers would mention Waterside and Town Point Park as the center of activity downtown. This article didn't even mention Waterside or Town Point Park are they not popular anymore?

Yeah its popular but there is sooo much more to do downtown now. Granby St. has really taken off.

Interesting how things have changed, use to be travel writers would mention Waterside and Town Point Park as the center of activity downtown. This article didn't even mention Waterside or Town Point Park are they not popular anymore?

Waterside has been reinvented a little in recent years to more of a restaurant and club venue, and it seems to have hit on something with that. Anyplace with an Outback Steakhouse is good to me!

Town Point Park and the waterfront area are as nice as ever, and TPP is in for a "sprucing up" as part of the cruise terminal construction.

I think the Cruise industry and our fabulous Cruise Terminal give us a "one-up" on cities of our size or even bigger. Not many cities can boast a Cruise Terminal :D

Not just a cruise terminal for the city but a cruise terminal right in downtown. Most cruise terminals are in converted warehouses. I don't even know if there is a city that has a cruise ship as part of downtown.

Not just a cruise terminal for the city but a cruise terminal right in downtown. Most cruise terminals are in converted warehouses. I don't even know if there is a city that has a cruise ship as part of downtown.

Reading that makes me think that the warehouse fronts in the Fort Norfolk area, if they were converted, might have been an ideal location for the terminal. It definitely would have helped to spark development in that part of town, and it would have brought the cruise passengers into the Ghent area a little more and meant increased pedestrian traffic there and the possibility for more retail to cater to them. Plus, there would still be a great view of downtown from there, which would still lure them over to that district. I kinda wish they had considered this as an option now.

• 5 weeks later...

:lol: Heh...Let me think about this one for a bit... I'm not sure i'm feeling that one.

I know I'm NOT feeling that name. I bet that some agency or committee was paid handsomely to name the cruise center and thats the best they could do? :blink:

Norfolk Cruise Terminal, albeit plain, had a better ring to it.

Edited by Seven Cities

Perhaps we need to make our opinions known on this one. I was really hoping for something a bit more professional and cosmopolitan feeling. Needless to say, I don't think Miami would be caught dead giving something that name. :lol: I know it's a little late in the game, but perhaps if we come up with our own suggestions and send them in. :whistling::unsure:

I'm not sure what I'm feeling on this one, but one thing is for sure IMO: It can't be "Norfolk Cruise Terminal" or "Norfolk Cruise & Celebration Center." It HAS to be unique, and I applaud Norfolk for coming up with a unique name, even if it is a bit strange. At least "Half Moone" is more easily remembered for its uniqueness than "Norfolk Cruise Terminal."

I'm not sure what I'm feeling on this one, but one thing is for sure IMO: It can't be "Norfolk Cruise Terminal" or "Norfolk Cruise & Celebration Center." It HAS to be unique, and I applaud Norfolk for coming up with a unique name, even if it is a bit strange. At least "Half Moone" is more easily remembered for its uniqueness than "Norfolk Cruise Terminal."

It's a colorful name, with a bit of history behind it. It doesn't hurt that a few harmless jokes will come from it.

There's a Half Moon Bay just south of San Francisco, but no one calls it "One Bun Bay," although I like the ring of it.