Ann Arbor: Thayer/Washington Construction

wolverine

01.jpg

The doomed H. S. Frieze Building. A 9 story residence hall will be built in its place. Studies were done to see if renovation would be possible, or if it could be integrated into the new building. However, structural problems, major problems in the design, and overall deterioration of the building have made demolition the best option. Sorry to say it, but I entirely agree. The building is a dump.

02.jpg

However, across the street, workers are setting up construction trailers for the new six story building that will house the film school.

03.jpg

A view of the site

04.jpg

A deck is nice, especially for grilling burgers on lunch break

05.jpg

Another view of the doomed Frieze. The parking structure can go too. It's by far, the ugliest parking structure I've ever seen.

06.jpg

The recently finished apartment building with Buffalo Wild Wings on the first floor.

07.jpg

Again, the doomed Frieze.

08.jpg

Close up of the detail. Hopefully, the new residential hall will have architecture as equally rich as the Frieze's front facade.

09.jpg

Another view of the site.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NIce photos. I was down there Friday night for the "Ruins" show. I walked right by this area and noticed the new portable offices for the construction. One thing you didn't really comment on, and I'm interested in your thoughts, is what you make of the new building at Washington and State?

06.jpg

IMHO, this is outright UGLY!!! Heck, they couldn't even put central air in this new building, thus we get to look at external air conditioners on all four sides. This building is a huge step back in the redevelopment of downtown Ann Arbor on State Street. They could have, and SHOULD HAVE, done better. My thoughts anyway.

On a side note, it was was great hanging out on State St again - the winter has been long. I'll be heading to Red Hawk this Saturday, that will make two weekends in a row for me!

- BR

The building is a cheaply built trainwreck with a corporate business on the bottom floor.

That said it adds necessary density to the state street area, the apartments are for students, and the architectural detail is actually a nod to lane hall:

http://www.judnick.com/images/Michigan_Ann..._YMCA_small.jpg

(sorry for the small pic) across the street.

So it does the job but it's irresponsibly built and leased.

Also of note nearby will be the classroom building, located at the SW corner of washington and thater, which should be getting underway soon.

From the pic it appears somewhat nice, keystones above the windows,  white brick at the corners

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Daniel is correct about the building's nod to Lane Hall. However, it falls short of the quality in which Lane Hall has.

I really do not understand the gaps between the brick sections every two floors. No, they are actually not prefabricated, but the brick is NOT real. It's actually "wallpaper." The building was done on a very low budget. The interior is nice, but there wasn't much focus on the outside. I think a lot more could have been done to make this building look better. In best words, the outside looks flimsy.. as if the exterior was glued on...which it in fact is, now that I think of it! Anyway, at least Buffalo wild wings is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the food and atmosphere is awesome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never much cared for it myself. You can get better wings most places, and the sports bar atmosphere doesn't do much for me. That being said, they seem to be getting pretty popular, so maybe we'll see one in Detroit soon. At least we've got Fuddruckers.

Archived