Bridge Builders

Charleston native

This is a fantastic report about how this "Golden Gate Bridge of the East" was built in my hometown. It is so exciting to see that baby take form and be completed! B) The link below will take you to the whole report. This is the excerpt from P & C.

The Bridge Builders

A 48-Page Special Report

For nearly four years, anyone who lived in or visited Charleston had a rare opportunity to witness a daring industrial ballet, the construction of a new bridge over the Cooper River, the largest bridge of its kind in North America.

In a special 48-page pull-out inside today's paper, "The Bridge Builders" tells the fascinating stories of the workers who built this new landmark in a city of history.

You'll meet April, the only woman on the towers; "Big Dave," the brash superintendent from Maine; "Lumbee," the Native American ironworker; and the French crews who hung the bridge's bright white cables. You'll see how workers cheated death and overcame personal obstacles as they raced to meet in the middle of the harbor -- a race that ended just nine days ago.

Written by Tony Bartelme and Jessica VanEgeren, with photographs by Yalonda James, "The Bridge Builders" is an insider's glimpse into how history was made.

To read the online version of "The Bridge Builders," click here.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 48 pages is kind of a turn off, but I do encourage people to look at the site. It has smoe great images and info without reading the book.

Here is my favorite pic. I had to borrow it becuase I like it so much:

cityCharlestonSC_bridgeAM.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT pic, Spartan! That is indeed one of my favorites as well. It looks spectacular with the sunrise and the old bridges. Good grief, it looks better than the Golden Gate, IMO!!! :D

OK, I do know about the one in France, and I believe that I have heard about one in China. Isn't there one in Scotland? Nevermind, I just remembered that it is not a cable-stayed bridge...it is one of the longest in the world, but it is metal-beam supported.

I went to Charleston this past weekend, and they're putting on the finishing touches now. The lighting looks excellent, and when you are going east of the Cooper, the immensity of it is really impressive.

Note: I am making lots of changes on the US 17 page, it should be up soon

(the description is being re-written as well)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please change the intersections involving West Ashley. The way you have it set up gives the impression that West Ashley is another town. How about put it with Charleston intersections because most of West Ashley is in the city limits? Instead of having "Charleston" intersections, how about calling them "Charleston (Downtown)" and then "Charleston (West Ashley)"? Or you could just call them "Downtown Charleston" and then "Charleston (West Ashley)"? Just my 2 cents! :)

Please change the intersections involving West Ashley. The way you have it set up gives the impression that West Ashley is another town. How about put it with Charleston intersections because most of West Ashley is in the city limits? Instead of having "Charleston" intersections, how about calling them "Charleston (Downtown)" and then "Charleston (West Ashley)"? Or you could just call them "Downtown Charleston" and then "Charleston (West Ashley)"? Just my 2 cents!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always ran the impression that a portion of West Ashley was part of the city limits of Charleston and not all part of the city. I could do something like this

Into the city of Charleston, i could put "Downtown Charleston" like you said then put "West Ashley section of Charleston" went crossing the 2nd bridge going US 17 SB. My parents relocated down the area so just like them, im continuing to learn the area which will take some time. Thanks for your comments. If anything else you want to comment on, please email me as i save those emails for notes. :D

I see there being massive skyscraper growth along the West Ashley, similar to a Rosslyn, VA type of thing or Arlington, VA, and then maybe some north of the historic district, but I definately don't see much over 5 stories in the historical area.

I always ran the impression that a portion of West Ashley was part of the city limits of Charleston and not all part of the city. I could do something like this

Into the city of Charleston, i could put "Downtown Charleston" like you said then put "West Ashley section of Charleston" went crossing the 2nd bridge going US 17 SB. My parents relocated down the area so just like them, im continuing to learn the area which will take some time. Thanks for your comments. If anything else you want to comment on, please email me as i save those emails for notes.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

West Ashely is sort of like Brooklyn in New York. Its accross the river, and it is a distinct area, yet it is still a part of the city. I know its a stretch, but it makes the point. Its a common name for that part of town, and you don't want a sign to be too wordy for travellers to read :) I think West Ashely is a very unique name, and I would like the signage to stay as it is.

The new bridge is very impressive. But is almost seems out of scale with the city. Every time I go to Savannah, I see a large bridge (Talmadge Bridge) that literally towers over a low-rise historic city skyline. It is almost annoying. Having said that, I look forward to never having to go across the old 1920s bridge ever again. It felt like it would give way.

Charleston is just getting in line with the other cities that have built similar bridges: Jacksonville, Brunswick, and Savannah. I think New Orleans too. You can take 17 and cross over 3 of the same type of brigde once Charleston's opens.

Archived