River House Condominiums

GRCentro

I'm sure if Robert Grooters gets to 60%, it is a done deal. He has built SO much Industrial and commercial property in Grand Rapids, I'm sure he is connected with every bank out there. I also think Tower II is personal because people have ridiculed him for years for not building it. Nothing like a little bit of "In your face" pay back to make a project jump a few hurdles. :)

Joe

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's Grand Rapids Press there is a quarter page ad in the Real Estate section for Riverhouse. Looks like the leasing push IS in full swing. It's a nice looking ad with a rendering of the two towers.

The most interesting thing is at the bottom "Hurry...80 homes already reserved!".

Go River House, Go!

Joe

Here you go. Notice it is one story taller, there is a second set of balconies down the mid section and more balconies up top. I also like how they tightened up the design a bit. Minimalizing the horizontal lines and bringing in some piping around the windows. It is WAY better than I would have imagined that tower II would end up.

riverhouseup-final.jpg

Rizzo,

Everything I see says full steam ahead. I seriously doubt Grooters would lay down his cards like this if he didn't intend to see it through. He has been mocked since the day tower I opened without its brother (or is it a sister?) ;) . I don't think he'd be putting the time or money into it if he didn't do some heavy number crunching.

BTW: They had a great ad in the Business Journal this week for River House. I will err on the side of optimism.

Now if we were talking about the Moch Towers, I would be more cautious...

Joe

Theres some doubt clouds forming on Skyscraperpage.com. I like the power the tower symbolizes... like, "don't f*** with me! Im 371 feet of pure glass, I'll shatter yo ass!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Rizzo,

Everything I see says full steam ahead. I seriously doubt Grooters would lay down his cards like this if he didn't intend to see it through. He has been mocked since the day tower I opened without its brother (or is it a sister?) . I don't think he'd be putting the time or money into it if he didn't do some heavy number crunching.

BTW: They had a great ad in the Business Journal this week for River House. I will err on the side of optimism.

Now if we were talking about the Moch Towers, I would be more cautious...

Joe"

No, i don't think that, but the person on the forum is an insider... I wonder if he knows this much about the GRBJ ad... Good news, for the tower tho. What would be kick ass is if they get a flood of people willing to purchase, raising the height...

Rizzo,

The guy over on that other forum seems like a smarty-pants to me ;) He said he has a gut feeling... Whatever. :)

Remember, Robert Grooters is a man who owned the most industrial real estate in West Michigan, sold it, then immediately rebuilt the equivalent sq. footage that he had sold. I think this is a man who can get it done.

I think the demand is there, the plan looks tight and the timing is good. Bankers: just let him build it.

Joe

winkel-masters did the grooters red sphinx building on the side of 131. they merged with dts architects this year. dave sobota is a cool kat, i played golf with him a few times.....brain winkelmann is intresting at best....scratches his neck alot in meetings.

this building is coming, gr is is the next mess-o-potamia

"Remember, Robert Grooters is a man who owned the most industrial real estate in West Michigan, sold it, then immediately rebuilt the equivalent sq. footage that he had sold. I think this is a man who can get it done.

I think the demand is there, the plan looks tight and the timing is good. Bankers: just let him build it.

Joe "

I agree, Im just waiting for Grooters to flex his development muscle...

I don't know what, if anything this means:

The man who had been leading the effort to build a tower of condominiums at downtown's Bridgewater Place now will be tracking hamburger sales.

Meritage Hospitality Group, a publicly held, Grand Rapids-based franchisee of Wendy's and O'Charley's restaurants, appointed Gary Rose as its chief financial officer and treasurer effective Thursday

Rose, 42, joined Meritage after a stint with Robert Grooters Development Co. developing the condominium tower concept known as Riverhouse and Bridgewater Place.

Riverhouse is moving forward as planned with Robert Grooters personally leading the project, said Alicia Kroesing, marketing director for Grooters.

Robert Grooters taking it on could be a personal thing. I hope so. Go get 'em!

Joe

I noticed that today too. It doesn't appear that it will affect the progress of the tower. I'm glad to see Grooters take the driver's seat.

I must admit though, that's a very tough dilemma: develop the city's tallest skyscraper...or...be a fast-food accountant...

hmmm, I haven't a clue which I'd chose ^_^

I was just poking fun at the idea of the comparison of Detroit and GR. However, if you placed those Southfield building in DTGR....it would radically improve the skyline.

I used to LOVE the view of downtown Detroit driving north on I75....all of a sudden BAM....the Detroit skyline hits you along with the Ambassador bridge.

Detroit is not just a big city. Detroit is a MAJOR city. To me the concept of "City" is played out. It is the Metropolitan area measure that is of more importance in the modern times. For purpose of marketing....people do not care what the size of the central city is....its all about the Metro. When Detroit City had nearly 2 million people...there was likely only about 3 million people living in the metropolitan area. Even though Detroit has declined since its 2 million, the metro has grown by 2 million.

GR has its place and rank....but it does not compare with Detroit. Its a nice up and coming city....but if I were to move back to Michigan...it would likely be Detroit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, as a native of Grand Rapids, our big city was the Windy City. Detroit had the Tigers and the Lions, sure, but you wouldn't want to visit there. Chicago was just about as close (closer as the crow flies) and a lot more fun. E.g., Marshall Fields was a real department store, Hudson's was . . . well, sort of a pale imitation.

Mind you, Hudson's made our local stores (Herpolsheimers', Wurzburg's and Steketees) look like dime stores, but when you talked big city -- it was Chicago.

Well, as a native of Grand Rapids, our big city was the Windy City.  Detroit had the Tigers and the Lions, sure, but you wouldn't want to visit there.  Chicago was just about as close (closer as the crow flies) and a lot more fun.  E.g., Marshall Fields was a real department store, Hudson's was . . . well, sort of a pale imitation. 

Mind you, Hudson's made our local stores (Herpolsheimers', Wurzburg's and Steketees) look like dime stores, but when you talked big city --  it was Chicago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can appreciate that. However, as an African American Detroit was and is a center of black culture (more than 1 million blacks in the Detroit Metro...nearly 800,000 in the city proper)...all the major black concert tours hit Detroit...they have numerous black radio stations (Gr has essentially none), all the major league sports. We were never that well off to care about the differnce between Marshall Feild and hudson...both were rather expensive. From my perspective, everything that I valued existed in Detroit...just as much as in Chicago.

I can appreciate that. However, as an African American Detroit was and is a center of black culture (more than 1 million blacks in the Detroit Metro...nearly 800,000 in the city proper)...all the major black concert tours hit Detroit...they have numerous black radio stations (Gr has essentially none), all the major league sports. We were never that well off to care about the differnce between Marshall Feild and hudson...both were rather expensive. From my perspective, everything that I valued existed in Detroit...just as much as in Chicago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair comment. I know that for African Americans, in my youth, GR was not always a friendly place. Speaking of radio stations, in 1968, Psychology Today did a study of teenager's radio habits in GR and Detroit. White teenagers in GR listened almost exclusively to "white" music while black teenagers in both GR and Detroit listened to Motown. Interestingly, white teenagers in Detroit ALSO listened to Motown. (I'll admit they had better taste than we did.) :)

most american music is "black music" anyway. rock 'n' roll just appropriated old rythyms. detroit music continues to draw in lots of elements from its surroundings. a lot of NY / European music scholars still think detroit is where the action is happening in the states. the city's black community can't be left out of this equation - they were there at the start of detroit's music, and their influence remains strong today. this is off topic for the board but I'd love to talk about this with someone. music is a part of the "grand old michigan" that hasn't died or gone away, but continues to influence the rest of the world.

ever been to the motor city bar in NYC?

Amen to that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

most american music is "black music" anyway. rock 'n' roll just appropriated old rythyms. detroit music continues to draw in lots of elements from its surroundings. a lot of NY / European music scholars still think detroit is where the action is happening in the states. the city's black community can't be left out of this equation - they were there at the start of detroit's music, and their influence remains strong today. this is off topic for the board but I'd love to talk about this with someone. music is a part of the "grand old michigan" that hasn't died or gone away, but continues to influence the rest of the world.

ever been to the motor city bar in NYC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dan:

Here we go again - budding yet ANOTHER GR urban-associated thread! Meet me over at the new "Need for Metro GR Real 24-Hour FM R & B Radio Station"

-Metrogrkid

There's a Homeowner's Forum next Tuesday. Anyone with reservations is invited to attend. They're going to run through the building plans thus far, taking input from the crowd (on parking, amenities, retail, etc). Should last 1 1/2 hours, starting at 6:30pm in Tower #1.

The final plans should be ready within the next two weeks.

Archived