Downtown Tampa project map & list

bobliocatt

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very interesting graphic. Its amazing to see all of the residential development that's taking place along the new streetcar line. If Tampa really wants its downtown to become a vibrant 24/7 neighborhood, officials need to find away to extend the trolley into the core and perhaps Univ. of Tampa, ASAP. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, how much can it really cost, compared to the new urban developments it will spur near the line, as well as providing a safe way for drunk college students and tourists to get back to their hotels and dorms from Ybor.

Problem is, 9 proposed residential towers, ranging from 8 to 45 stories are missing from this list, as is the proposed restoration of the Floridan Hotel to a hotel/condo mix. I assume that is because prices have not yet been set, and these projects have not yet been approved by city council.

The others, like the Floridian Hotel restoration, Tampa Heights, the Kress Building project, Maas Brothers site and the 45 story mixed use hotel along the Channel probably aren't included in this list because they're purely conceptual, at this stage.

Extending the streetcar, on or parallel, to Franklin Street would probably double the amount of residential projects proposed in the actual core of downtown Tampa.

• 2 months later...

What's funny about these projects are their estimated prices. O2 for 198k? I wish. It's not starting in the 300 range last I checked. They build these places but price them out of range of your average downtown worker. I checked out skypoint and it is the only semi reasonable priced condo complex going up but then who wants to pay nearly 200k for an 800 sq ft condo when you can get a new 1200 sq ft home with a yard for the same price? Affordable housing my ass.

I agree. Downtown Tampa has potential, but they should have at least a couple projects that are affordable. Skypoint, which said that they would have nearly half of all of their units priced below $200K had a registration list of close to 3000 people for their 385 units. They contacted the first 100 and they all signed contracts on the spot.

It would be nice if they at least had some projects that would start in the low $200k, but that is not the case either. Where will they get all these folks that will be willing to spend over $400K for a small two BDR on a low floor with views of the dumpsters???? (Maybe I exaggeratted a little)...

What's funny about these projects are their estimated prices.  O2 for 198k?  I wish.  It's not starting in the 300 range last I checked.  They build these places but price them out of range of your average downtown worker.  I checked out skypoint and it is the only semi reasonable priced condo complex going up but then who wants to pay nearly 200k for an 800 sq ft condo when you can get a new 1200 sq ft home with a yard for the same price?  Affordable housing my ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They price them at the price people are willing to pay, to cite the obvious.

Archived