Southern state license plates

krazeeboi

I hate to admit it but Alabama blows away the competitionn when it comes to boring, bland, and unimaginative license plates. Our license plates are terrible.

Mississippi has the nicest tags in the entire South and one of best in the entire country IMHO. Very attractive white tags with dark blue lettering and faded blue airbrushed edges. The state is spelled out elegantly with flowered patches complimenting the name. I love their tags.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mississippi's current tag is nicer than the previous one, IMO:

ms2003.gif

They also have a wide assortment of NASCAR specialty plates, which can be viewed here.

It's a shame most of the talk about Mississippi on this board is about how nice the state's license plate is.

I hate to admit it but Alabama blows away the competitionn when it comes to boring, bland, and unimaginative license plates. Our license plates are terrible.

I think Michigan is the clear winner of the most boring. :lol:

Mississippi's current tag is nicer than the previous one, IMO:

ms2003.gif

They also have a wide assortment of NASCAR specialty plates, which can be viewed here.

It's a shame most of the talk about Mississippi on this board is about how nice the state's license plate is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a pretty nice tag. :thumbsup:

Arkansas' is pretty bland. 

Lately, though, I have been seeing a few of the relatively new Game and Fish Commision license plates in Arkansas...and they look pretty hillbillyish:

2000_plate.jpg

2001_plate.jpg

2002_plate.jpg

2003_plate.jpg

2004_plate.jpg

2005)plate_large.jpg

no offense, but south carolina's 2004 license plate is absolutely stupid.  it shows total disregard for citizens who don't believe in god, a sign of a backwards place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Arkansas's have always been rather bland. As far as the newers ones, they are boing put out by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commision. You also have to remember Arkansas is still rather rural and doesn't have a very big population either.

no offense, but south carolina's 2004 license plate is absolutely stupid.  it shows total disregard for citizens who don't believe in god, a sign of a backwards place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that God plate is optional.

Though, the Supreme Court has ruled that you can cover up a part of the license plate you don't agree with as long as you don't cover the state name, the registration stickers, or numbers.

So if SC made that plate mandatory, you could put black tape over the "In God We Trust" if you wanted.

Hello Everyone,

I have a question....and please don't kill me for not knowing. Why don't most of the Southern States have two License Plates like most of the states in the US?

Is it a unwritten rule or something? It just puzzles me, I mean VA is a southern state and they have a front & back plate.

This question goes out to the NC posters...When is the state going to issue a new design for the license plate? I don't mean specialized plates either, hasn't it been like 20years since the current design was introduced? I see the other states surrounding NC has all introduced new plates since 2000. What's the hold up NCDOT?  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NC did used to have front and back plates...back beofre the current plate was introduced in 1983.

They got ride of the front plate because they thought it was a waste.

I don't think there is much chance of them changing Old Faithful. I like the color scheme. The

"North Carolina" font could be updated. I also wish they would move to the new style of numbers/letters where instead of being pressed into the metal, they are printed (Delaware has these).

I personally like that the plate is the same. It can be instantly recognized as a NC plate anywhere, as opposed to other states, who change their plates every few years (ie OH, SC, etc).

NC did used to have front and back plates...back beofre the current plate was introduced in 1983.

They got ride of the front plate because they thought it was a waste.

I don't think there is much chance of them changing Old Faithful.  I like the color scheme.  The

"North Carolina" font could be updated.  I also wish they would move to the new style of numbers/letters where instead of being pressed into the metal, they are printed (Delaware has these).

I think Indiana's plate is like this as well.

I personally like that the plate is the same.  It can be instantly recognized as a NC plate anywhere, as opposed to other states, who change their plates every few years (ie OH, SC, etc).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That why the name of the state is on the tag as well. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been noticing something lately in regards to NC tags. I see a few alphabet combinations used recurringly, and the one that I've seen quite a bit of is "TVT." Is there a system or something that's used in assigning tag sequences in NC?

I think the GA plates are quite icky. I've been holding on to my WA plate and plate for a couple years now. They have Mt. Rainier on them. I was born and raised here in Atlanta, and I just don't want to be peach-ified again. Recently, they added a layer of smog to the plates, drifting from the top downward. I'm not sure why, or what the real intention was, but it looks dirty and gross. (Much like many parts of Atlanta, go figure.)

I see 3 plates commonly (in this order) - standard, wildflowers, and animal friends. If my hand were forced (police ticket or somesuch), I'd get that wildflower one. Anything to avoid the peach. I don't even like peaches!

aa.jpg

wf.jpg

dc.jpg

I think the Alabama plates currently being issued are the best the state has had in many years. Our previous plate looked pretty bad IMO

usa-ab_63r2189_close.jpg

Alabama plates are different depending on which county you live in. The first number(s) before the letters are different depending on the county where the car owner resides. If the number is between 1-3, then the car is from Jefferson, Mobile or Montgomery county, in that order. The other numbers, 4-67, are alphabetical.

Alabama needs to showcase the Saturn V rocket on their next plate, not a song that nobody knows :) . It could improve our image significantly.

• 2 months later...

I think Michigan is the clear winner of the most boring.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither pennensula of Michigan is exactly in the south (and you actually have to drive SOUTH from Detroit to enter Canada), but I have to retort...

Michigan's alternative standard license plate (for an additional $5 fee, of course) is not boring at all:

graphic_16606_7.jpg

But the traditional standard plate is quite "old school":

blueandwhite_16605_7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

SC is going to fall to the bottom of this list with our new plate that will be debuting soon (and the public chose this out of three other proposals--this was definitely the ugliest of the three):

568-New_Plate_2008_070814.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

And then to top it off, we've got that cheesy "travel2sc.com" at the bottom. Yuck.

Archived