Southern state license plates

krazeeboi

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Kentucky's are horrid, but I think they are changing in June, and will probably have the new motto "The Unbridled Spirit" on them.

I have always liked Mississippi's, they just look...classy.

All the rest are neither here nor there for me. I do have a question though, for someone from Florida. How come some plates say sunshine state and some list the county?

^ Florida leaves the decision up to each county tax collector's office to decide that. Vehicle owners have the option of getting a county tag or they can request a Sunshine State tag.

As a tourist state, it's better not to show the county name. Miami-Dade County only issues Sunshine State tags, one big reason being to protect tourists that fly into Miami, rent cars and drive to other parts of the state, such as Orlando. Florida used to issue tags for rental cars that displayed the word "LEASE" on them, and this was a big mistake. Now a rental car cannot have anything on the outside of the vehicle that can identify it as a rental.

You can also see another part of my answer on Page 2 of this thread.

Florida kinda of got tired of sending foreign tourists home in body bags after they got car jacked because of the 'Lease' tag or a gignatic Avis bumper sticker on their rental cars so they changes the law. As a matter of fact, Florida now has 24 hour security at most of its intestate rest areas becuase of ONE incident near Madison. Do other states do that?

Also, didn't florida used to have all tags (pre challenger) show the county and only rentals with the 'sunshine state' tag?

Also, didn't florida used to have all tags (pre challenger) show the county and only rentals with the 'sunshine state' tag?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, pre-challenger, the state license plates for Florida Residents did show the county (i.e. "ALACHUA" or "MARION" or "ORANGE" etc.). The rental vehicles; however, said "RENTAL" where the county name typically was.

Florida kinda of got tired of [...]
Having "DADE" on one's license plate would make someone an easy target for any upstate law enforcement officer who had an axe to grind with people from Miami. Some would allegedly look for vehicles with Dade County tags heading south and look for the slightest reasons to pull them over, especially along I-95. It makes you stick out like a sore thumb. Another reason, unofficially, why Miami-Dade only issues Sunshine State tags.

Well then that is understandable. I have seen some 'specials' on tv about rental car jackings and tourist harrassment in Florida a while back.

On another note, I like seeing the county for some reason, LOL, I guess so I know who is from around here and where the bad driver in front of me is from so I can say 'go back to $%#$ county' :) j/k .... maybe

Florida is also famous for what I believe is the nation's only "pro life" license tag.  I don't understand why the government feels the need to be so political with license tags, but when Jeb Bush runs the state nonsense like this is routine.

indexplate.gif

Interestingly I found an article awhile ago about how Florida law enforcement was getting angry at the state for issuing so many different specialty license tags.  Certainly it makes identifying license tags more difficult.  Check out this ridiculous list:

Florida Specialty Tag List

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Usually I'd be agreeing with you, but I was recently in Mississippi and saw the same tag on some cars there. Trent Lott must have spoken to Jeb.

I've noticed that... we get a lot of Georgia visitors down here, mainly from metro Atlanta and Savannah, so off the top of my head I've see Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, Douglas, Gwinnett, and Chatham decals (in that order of frequency).

Ohio does the decal thing as well.

I'm curious: in a state like Georgia, if you move to a different county, do you get a new decal to stick on your tag?

Ohio stopped doing the decal thing a couple years ago, now they have those hideous BiCentennial plates. The only people left that say the county that I know of are, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

I hate when plates now have the web address for the state on them...blah tacky.

Last week I ordered a personalized version of this tag.  I can't wait to get it!!  I just wish something like this were the default tag for NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. I already received mine. Expect a lot of people to comment on how much they like your new tag.

Last week I ordered a personalized version of this tag.  I can't wait to get it!!  I just wish something like this were the default tag for NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neo, Gastonite, how I envy your state's creativity with tag designs.

Archived