Evolution of a Skyline: Photos Requested

cooperdawg

Please respond with any photos you have, I'm interested to see the evolution of Charlotte's skyline, especially older photos (pre-1990) before BofA Corporate Center was built. I've found a few online, and feel free to link any you find, but I'd also love to see any personal photos taken from those who grew up around here. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some, but have to go rummaging through old photos. I tried to get a photo comparison from the same angle a couple of years ago, but could never find a view that worked well. I tried the Marshall Park vista, but when the Government Center was built, it blocked out everything north of the Square. I also tried the Independence/Hawthorne view, but came up short with stuff from the late 60s. I'll post what I come up with.

sky7.jpg

1935 postcard of the Charlotte skyline. This view shows that there were no skyscrapers on the east side of Tryon St. Again, the long shed building near the bottom was the Cotton Platform.

From the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission website.

Holy crap! Metro, that photo rocks!

Looks like they're building 1FU. I remember when that went up. After that was built it was the defining skyscraper in Charlotte until BofA Corp. I remember how most logos that reflected a "city" theme had some sort of stylized version of that building.

Now it's mainly ignored when our skyline is referenced. This photo shows why it was such a big deal when it was built.

COOL!

Trivia: I'm not sure how many of you might remember what the box for the original Civilization PC game looked like, but this late 80's version of the Charlotte skyline (with 1 FU completed) was featured on the front.

post-1-1111686018_thumb.jpg

post-1-1111686018_thumb.jpg

Archived