Bell South Switch Building

cooperdawg

No. This building is on Caldwell street near the arena. The one with the big microwave aerials on the roof of the building. There is no indication on the building as to its owner except a small plaque on the front door indicating BellSouth and AT&T. When it was constructed they were the same company. i.e. the old Bell System

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These buildings are relics from the old Bell System, and almost every larger  city served by the old Ma Bell has one.  I agree the one here is particularly ugly, but look at the one in NYC.  Imagine a 52 story building in downtown with no windows.    :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it looks like some alien monolith from 2001 a space odyssey

Interesting conversation - b/c again it's another under-rated building that receives bad press b/c of it's usage as a telecom hub. The very same can be said for Atlanta's AT&T telecom hub, which is truly a striking & magnificent art-deco midrise, but it was never fully built out, it's windows sealed & those ugly towers are on the top.

So - everyone hates it & dismisses it as an eyesore, but it wasn't supposed to be a simple vertical digital warehouse. I wonder if most cities have this dilemna, of a downtown telecom commercial building that was abandoned & switched to being a telecom hub.

Interesting conversation - b/c again it's another under-rated building that receives bad press b/c of it's usage as a telecom hub.  The very same can be said for Atlanta's AT&T telecom hub, which is truly a striking & magnificent art-deco midrise, but it was never fully built out, it's windows sealed & those ugly towers are on the top.

So - everyone hates it & dismisses it as an eyesore, but it wasn't supposed to be a simple vertical digital warehouse.  I wonder if most cities have this dilemna, of a downtown telecom commercial building that was abandoned & switched to being a telecom hub.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this the one you are referring to teshadoh???

whole.jpg

A2

You found a good picture A2, if anyone was interested I could provide some close ups of the facade & deco detailing of this building. But only 1/2 or 1/3 of the tower was built, it was to be around 30 stories of art deco beauty. Anyone who knows Atlanta, besides the Fox & City Hall know there is no art deco to speak of here.

• 1 month later...

I sure hope so. I have thought for a long time that they would get pressured to improve the facade now that their building will likely show up in some TV shots. New windows would be all it would take to make it look decent on the Caldwell side. The 5th Street side might be a lost cause, but I'm sure they could do something creative. Perhaps they could open up a 6 inch wide planting strip between the sidewalk and the building, and plant some flowering vines or ivy.

I don't think it's boarded up (you're talking about the one with the large dishes on top right?) I'm pretty sure Wachovia and AT&T fully occupy that building.......It's actually a great building, that just some attention to restore it., plus some adjacent buildings to once again hide the bare walls......there is some very impressive detailing on it though.

Took these of said building today after work. (Forgot to take a shot of the sconces darn it.) I too hated this building at first and have grown to love it.

IMG_21031.th.jpg IMG_20921.th.jpg IMG_20941.th.jpg IMG_20951.th.jpg

Took these of said building today after work. (Forgot to take a shot of the sconces darn it.) I too hated this building at first and have grown to love it.

IMG_21031.th.jpg IMG_20921.th.jpg IMG_20941.th.jpg IMG_20951.th.jpg

i noticed that they have actually taken down the sconces. it looked like they did this only to get them out of the way from the scaffolding they're erecting. i hope that is the reason (pretty sure it is) b/c if they got rid of those that would really suck.

Archived