• Mobile, AL
    • Norfolk, VA
    • Lexington, KY
    • Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota, FL
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Winston-Salem, NC

I started this one in response to Birmingham's large lead in the underdog city poll. I decided to use cities with a 2003 msa population between 500,000 and 1 million.

*Note: Greensboro, Winston-Salem, St. Petersburg, and Norfolk are all part of msa's over 1 million, but divided up on their own I felt they would fit best in this poll.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spartan you're right, I don't think the lack of height takes away from its appearance at all. Also, I believe Columbia has ample room downtown to build and that in the future, this will only enhance the skyline. I just realized that you get a really good view of the city on I-26, getting onto the I-77 north ramp.

I also think Winston-Salem and Little Rock have great skylines. I was really impressed with the pictures I saw of Little Rock in a thread that was begun a few weeks ago.

I thought the RSA tower is currently under construction? At any rate, I wouldn't choose a city simply based on one building, no matter how tall it is.

Here's how Mobile's skyline will look once the RSA tower is completed:

mobilelanding.jpg

Even as nice as the tower will be once completed, I think Mobile still has a little ways to go as far as developing a nice, solid skyline. The RSA tower is definitely a step in that direction.

Here's the thread with some fantastic pics of Little Rock: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9096

And I know that we don't get many Mississippians over here, but I think that Jackson at least deserved a spot on the poll.

Also, I just realized that Tulsa, OK was listed. All things fair, Tulsa should definitely have a considerable amount of votes. Here are some pics of Tulsa's skyline I found online:

skyline.jpg

skyline2.jpg

coster.jpg

s_iwersen_downtown.jpg

madrid_tulsa6.jpg

me too, i'm suprised it's only got 3 votes. plus, it has the most holy football stadium in it's skyline (and to all the notre dame fans, sorry, but neyland is holier haha).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoxville has a reputation as an unattractive city. I have never been or seen any pictures until now. I seems as though the city has an image to repair, because it looks nice based on that pic.

Knoxville has a reputation as an unattractive city. I have never been or seen any pictures until now. I seems as though the city has an image to repair, because it looks nice based on that pic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoxville's downtown is beautiful. There are a lot of nice buildings...just not that many that are tall. I voted for Knoxville based on beauty and being unique (you don't see too many of those typical concrete square buildings).

Downtown_Knox.jpg

And as satalac mentioned, the most holy site in all of college football. :)

neyland.jpg

Nice. Knoxville is definately underrated.

2 questions:

1. What is the gold sphere thing?

2. What are they building there in the foreground of the first pic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Gold thing: Sunsphere. Built during the 1982 Worlds Fair.

The other thing...I'm not sure, if it's the white tent-like thing, then it is an amphitheatre.

Both shots taken from Fort Sanders (on the west side of downtown).

The Gold thing: Sunsphere. Built during the 1982 Worlds Fair.

The other thing...I'm not sure, if it's the white tent-like thing, then it is an amphitheatre.

Both shots taken from Fort Sanders (on the west side of downtown).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So is the Sunsphere a water tower or an obvservation tower or something to the effect?

I meant what is being built. It looks rather substantial. Behind and to the right of the sunsphere.

Archived