• Mobile, AL
    • Norfolk, VA
    • Lexington, KY
    • Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota, FL
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Winston-Salem, NC

I agree that no other city on this list compares to Tulsa's diverse skyline. Tulsa is home to some amazing art deco towers as well as more modern designs. Soon to be built will be the downtown arena designed by world famous Cesar Pelli.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you even read how the number were put together for those rankings?  It has nothing to do with metro area.  It's a sheer number of floors per city.  Geez.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read and understood. I still think Panama City is a joke. Take a look for yourself. I do not like the way the rankings are taken that's all.

;)

check your stats. Total High-rises:

CLT 82

Tulsa 68.....(according to Emporis the site you are qouting)

;)

BTW, Emporis also has B'ham at 65...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I am quoting the more realistic number of buildings that are already in existence, of which Charlotte only has 54 and B'ham only has 53. The other totals you are quoting refer to never-built, proposed, approved and demolished as well as actual structures which is not an accurate portrayal of a city skyline.

Another interesting note, I referenced Charlotte even though it is not on this list(metro area over 2 million) simply to point out the fact that Tulsa has a more impressive skyline than cities over twice it's size.

Actually, I am quoting the more realistic number of buildings that are already in existence, of which Charlotte only has 54 and B'ham only has 53. The other totals you are quoting refer to never-built, proposed, approved and demolished as well as actual structures which is not an accurate portrayal of a city skyline.

Another interesting note, I referenced Charlotte even though it is not on this list(metro area over 2 million) simply to point out the fact that Tulsa has a more impressive skyline than cities over twice it's size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with that. :D

I have never been to Tulsa per se. But, from the pictures it does tout a pretty impressive skyline for a million in the metro. I would rank it like this for top three on appearence and density alone.

1. Tulsa

2. Winston-Salem (very close to my first, but I had to give Tulsa props due to there size comparison)

3. Birmingham

We're talking about Panama City, Panama, correct?

Why a joke?  I'm just curious in the context of their rankings why they're a joke?  Not flaming you, just wanted you to support your argument a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is right. I just looked at some pics. No real scientific support to back up my argument just an unsightly skyline that's all. No bashing though, JMHO...No harm no foul. :thumbsup:

My only point that is was not an aesthetics ranking, it's a factual one.  There are a lot of unsightly cities on that list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. I can respect there rankings based on that alone. However, I do not like the 50% of the skylines chosen. I am sure you could agree with me on that note. :thumbsup:

Of course, but our conversation in regards to Tulsa vs. Charlotte had turned factual and away from aesthetics in terms of what was built and how tall the buildings were.  This is a good chart for that type of reference only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tru dat'

:D

Tulsa is stunning.

Depot.JPG

Union Depot.

Cains.JPG

The Cains Ballroom.

Philcade.JPG

The Philcade Tower.

Skyline%20Dusk.JPG

The Tulsa skyline at dusk.

boston_ave.jpg

Boston Avenue.

Philbrook%20Statue.JPG

The Philbrook.

Skyline%20River%20Day.JPG

The Arkansas River, Midtown, and Downtown all in one.

Boston%20Avenue%20Methodist%20Church.JPG

Boston Avenue Methodist Chuch in Downtown.

Philbrook%20Garden%20Detail.JPG

The Philbrook gardens.

Philbrook%20Garden.JPG

Another shot of the Philbrook gardens.

Nelsons.JPG

Nelsons Beffeteria in Downtown Tulsa.

Art%20Deco%20Detail.jpg

Art deco Tulsa.

very, very impressive pics. If I am ever out that way, I will pack a camera ande some walking shoes. I had NO idea Tulsa looked so Urban. The shear size of the CBD impresses me due to the pop stats. Again GREAT SHOTS !!!

You gotta have skillz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing pics of Tulsa- Thank you for that! I grew up there and since have lived in NYC, SF, LA, amongst others and I still love coming home to Tulsa- its a unique and beautiful city. I love that it still is a bit of a secret.

I don't. I wish everyone knew how beautiful and urban Tulsa was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then it would become ruined like so many other nice cities. If people still think Tulsa is some cowtown hicksville than it keeps those same narrow minded people out. Quality not quantity that's what I always say.

Maybe the person who originated this thread doesn't really think of Raleigh as a "small" city, or at least not in the league of most of the cities listed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, I considered Raleigh, at least population wise, more along the lines of Birmingham, Austin, Memphis, etc.......

very, very impressive pics. If I am ever out that way, I will pack a camera ande some walking shoes. I had NO idea Tulsa looked so Urban. The shear size of the CBD impresses me due to the pop stats. Again GREAT SHOTS !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tulsa does have some fantastic looking 1920s buildings and some very bad 1970s buildings. Based on my one experience staying downtown a few years ago for a business trip, downtown Tulsa is an absolute ghost town. There was absolutely no one on the streets after 5 pm and many, many of the storefronts were shuttered.

I was in town for a conference at the convention center, which is part of the horrible mistake called (I think) the Civic Center, a 1970s urban renewal monstrosity that also serves as a very poor home to Tulsa's city hall and main library. At the lunch break on Saturday at the conference, my colleague and I walked out to get lunch and found exactly one (count 'em one) sandwich shop opened in the whole of downtown.

Tulsa does have some very nice museums, and another colleague, from Tulsa, took us to a very nice shopping and residential area, but the downtown had really been decimated by population loss and major redevelopment projects. It's really a shame, because apparently at one point it was quite bustling and some of the 1920s skyscrapers are fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived