• Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota, FL
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Winston-Salem, NC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This city is WAY smaller than any of the cities listed on the polls, but I actually think it can compete with some of them:

Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Population: 35,000

1. Phillips Petroleum Building - 89m

2. Plaza Office Building - 75m

3. Phillips Tower - 69m

4. Price Tower - 58m

5. Adams Building - 58m

Tallest:

Phillips_petroleum_building_1_jpg.jpg

53.jpg

12_bottomcity.jpg

A68BDB54-255D-489D-9564-02FE25E7F6E3.JPG

And a thousand points for Frank Lloyd Wright's tallest skyscraper, one of only two FLW skyscrapers in the world and inspiration for OKC's highrise condo building The Classen:

image021.jpg

It was the birthplace and headquarters of Conoco-Phillips Oil company, and I believe CP has moved many jobs if not their entire headquarters back to Bartlesville recently. It IS a center of commerce. I think it's about 50 miles north of Tulsa (in a very long, narrow county), and I would say that it is a center of commerce, and the towers would be there if Tulsa wasnt. Since most of the highrises are buildings left over from a Corporate Headquarters of a major energy company.

Well, our city (Bristol, TN-VA) is so small, it does even register, with a population of only 43,000. <_< Probably one of the smallest skylines, but it has its character, but looks like nothing compared to even some of the other skylines here. :D

I do not know when more buildings will be built downtown, but since this photo was taken a new multi-million $ library has been built and soon to be built will be a multi-level downtown parking garage.

Here are some photos of our little downtown skyline, as well as a few other buildings downtown. These are also posted elsewhere on this forum. These were taken in late September of 2005. Sorry for the low quality, as these were taken with my old camera. Soon I plan on getting some with my new camera.

DowntownBristol1.jpg

BristolTNdowntown.jpg

DowntownBristol2Bank.jpg

DowntownBristol3ExecutivePlaza.jpg

DowntownBristol4.jpg

BristolVA1.jpg

Bristoltrainstation.jpg

bristolsept05.jpg

BristolStateSt.jpg

BristolTVstation-WCYB.jpg

And speaking of Knoxville - here is one I was able to get from the freeway heading eastbound. Sorry for the sign - it just happened to be there.:D

We are only about 110 miles from Knoxville and go by there from time to time when visiting Townsend, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, or my dads old hometown of Maryville, which is a southwestern suburb of Knoxville.

DowntownKnoxville.jpg

So the town itself isn't a center of commerce and business in the way that the cities listed are, I gather? Apparently, those high-rises wouldn't exist had the city not been located within the Tulsa MSA.

I think Bartlesville is like 40-45 miles from Tulsa, it does pretty good for a small city.

Tulsa has a very impressive skyline for a city its size. Does the downtown area feel old on street level? A lot of the taller buildings look like they were built in the 80's or earlier, but the architecture on a few of them is still really cool.

Downtown Tulsa is largely made up of older buildings, but not from the 80s, from the 20s and 30s. Tulsa has a large number of great old art deco buildings, and most have been redone and are functioning office space even today. Walking the streets of downtown can be like walking in a museum, it

That nightshot looking down Boston Avenue is decidedly my all-time favorite picture of downtown Tulsa. There was a bigger version of it somewhere around here once...

For some reason Tulsa looks ugly to me in most aerial shots, but in all other angles it looks amazing with the river and the skyline. To me it's the obvious winner of this poll. Then again I'm an Okie so I could be biased. Then again it's an amazing skyline so maybe I'm not...

Here's the thread with some fantastic pics of Little Rock: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9096

And I know that we don't get many Mississippians over here, but I think that Jackson at least deserved a spot on the poll.

Also, I just realized that Tulsa, OK was listed. All things fair, Tulsa should definitely have a considerable amount of votes. Here are some pics of Tulsa's skyline I found online:

I voted for Tulsa. I live in Dallas, and am moving to Arkansas. Granted, I haven't been to a few of the other notables, but Tulsa has a lot of height and some good looking buildings for a city its size.

Little Rock

littlerock_006_l.jpg

littlerock_008_l.jpg

littlerock_016_l.jpg

lr_skyline_001_l.jpg

lr_skyline_002_l.jpg

lr_skyline_003_l.jpg

(I had to include this one:)

ar_river_001_l.jpg

lr_002_l.jpg

The new rail line:

lr_rivermarket_019_l.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805crowd-25R.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805Clinton-24R.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805-22R.jpg

043005NiteStreetcarChamberStop-14R.jpg

043005NiteStreetcarFmChamber-15R.jpg

043005EastClintonAve-16R.jpg

043005AlltelStop-18R.jpg

033005SCar2ndSt-14R.jpg

033005SCar-18R.jpg

StreetcarLIT111404-8R.jpg

StreetcarLIT111404-11R.jpg

Great pics! LR is a great little city. I lived there for almost a year in the downtown area. Lots going on there right now. Shame you didn't include a shot that has the Clinton Presidential Library in the foreground as it is now a nationally recognized landmark, essentially a part of dowtown and the beautiful Arkansas River Front.

I love the trolleys in Little Rock, and Dallas for that matter, very cool. Little Rock has a great skyline that would be really improved if the bridges over the river were better looking. Pittsburg has great bridges downtown for example.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that weren't happy that your city wasn't included on the small city poll check out this mid-level city poll http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...pic=7972&st=210

The adjustments that I would make to it is remove Charlotte, Knoxville, & Lexington and add Austin, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, and maybe Fort Worth. That should be about all metros that are roughly between 1-1.5 mil. Just my suggestion.

Norfolk is pushing 1.8 million in our metro

it always seems to me that pics of tulsa and ok city are dead...you never see people downtown or in the streets...why is that???

People don't live downtown very much, and downtown has traditionally been a workplace only in both cities, maybe because they didn't have much time to develop before the suburbanization trend happened.

But Oklahoma City is adding more than 2,000 housing units, a thriving entertainment district, arts and cultural amenities, etc. There are more people in downtown OKC every day as more events locate there and downtown/skyline is being popularized through the media and even commercial advertising. Over the last several months there has been a dramatic shift in self-perception in Oklahoma City, largely stemming from the fact that we are worthy of a professional sports team, but also because of a realization of the great things happening downtown. Several new downtown stores and restaurants have opened in the last few months and retailers have been reporting record sales. Things are changing.

Tulsa is also adding about 500 units downtown and an event center. They are behind OKC as far as urban revitilization because voters there turned down programs like OKC's MAPS several times, allegedly because they felt that downtown Tulsa didn't need any improvement like DT OKC did. Now, however, Tulsans have passed Vision 2025 that adds several new things to Tulsa.

it always seems to me that pics of tulsa and ok city are dead...you never see people downtown or in the streets...why is that???

Most downtown photos are taken in Tulsa on the weekends and for the most part downtown is still just a business center here. There are 5,000 people living downtown but they are mostly located in the southwest corner of downtown in a couple of condo towers or a large apartment complex. That is changing with more and more loft conversions taking place and there are two newer restaurant/bar districts downtown but they have little retail. There is most activity on the street in the uptown area just south of downtown and there is an older most established bar district there as well.

For real foot traffic and people out day and night you have to go to the midtown area that starts about a mile south of downtown. Cherry Street, Brookside, Utica Square, these are the best parts of Tulsa and are usually packed with people. These areas have bars, restaurants, shopping, and many thousands of residents. These areas are not new, Brookside has been Tulsa's center for nightlife for half a century and Utica has been the most exclusive shopping area in this part of country for at least as long.

Archived