• Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota, FL
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Winston-Salem, NC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to add this small clip of most of Greenville's CBD. Other important structures are not included, but it shows more buildings than most photos of our downtown. It would be really nice if the 16,000-seat Bi-Lo Center arena could have been included in the shot, but it is just off to the left.

GreenvilleSkyline2.jpg

I like Shreveport's skyline.

Here's one of Columbia I took from a distance:

starmountdrskyline.jpg

An aerial shot:

Aerial5pts.jpg

And two that I found online from West Columbia, right across the river:

57301930.City_from_W_Cola_11.JPG

57301931.City_from_W_Cola_20.JPG

Very nice. Pardon my ignorance, but not being from that area I don't have a clue about the buildings... but what building site is that crane at?

That would be the First Citizens tower at 9 stories. It would have been taller, but the bank didn't want to detract from the Statehouse, which is only a block away. It's practically finished and opens May 1st:

1stcitizenscomplex.jpg

Wow, for being only 9 stories that's a nice-looking building!

I don't think of Little Rock as a "small city." I posted that somewhere already.

How is Little Rock not a small city, especially compared to these other places (like Tulsa or richmond)?

I'm not going to bother to pull up statistics for all the cities, but here's what I wrote comparing the size of JAckson, Little Rock, and Shreveport

2000 Census:

Little Rock: 183,133

Shreveport: 200,145

Jackson: 184,256

Little Rock is a small city.

----------------------

Metropolitan areas (wikipedia):

Little Rock: 610,518

Jackson: 522,580

Shreveport: 378,331 (whoa)

-------------------------------

But I always think MSAs are distorted, especially for little rock, since you're likely to pass farms and forests traveling 30-45 min. to little rock.

So, let's look at the densities for the cities:

Little Rock: 608.5/km

Little Rock's skyline makes it look bigger than what it actually is.

In 2000, Little Rock's urbanized area was 360,331, which is larger than Jackson's (292,637) or Shreveport's (275,213), but a bit smaller than Baton Rouge's (479,019), Charleston's (423,410), Columbia's (420,537), or Knoxville's (419,830)--cities in the same league as Little Rock.

How is Little Rock not a small city, especially compared to these other places (like Tulsa or richmond)?

I'm not going to bother to pull up statistics for all the cities, but here's what I wrote comparing the size of JAckson, Little Rock, and Shreveport

2000 Census:

Little Rock: 183,133

Shreveport: 200,145

Jackson: 184,256

Little Rock is a small city.

----------------------

Metropolitan areas (wikipedia):

Little Rock: 610,518

Jackson: 522,580

Shreveport: 378,331 (whoa)

-------------------------------

But I always think MSAs are distorted, especially for little rock, since you're likely to pass farms and forests traveling 30-45 min. to little rock.

So, let's look at the densities for the cities:

Little Rock: 608.5/km

You think of L.R. as small? I've always thought of it as a medium sized city but, I guess that's just me.

I've always considered Little Rock, Shreveport, Jackson, Baton Rouge, etc as medium-sized cities as well, but I really don't know where that line is drawn. There's also another poll thread calling cities like Charlotte medium-sized cities, whereas I consider them to be big cities.

Here are the classifications the way I've always heard them:

small city (texarkana, hot springs, etc)

medium-sized city (shreveport, jackson, little rock, etc)

big city (charlotte, new orleans, tulsa, etc)

large city (dallas, houston, chicago, new york, etc)

Tulsa should not really be fairly on this list, it's 2 to 3 times larger than most cities on the poll.

With a city pop of just under 400,000 and a CSA of about 950,000 you can't compare it to Shreveport or Mobile.

Little Rock for it's size looks great, Tulsa should be removed and Little Rock gets my vote.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for Mobile. Love the Bay and the way the skyline looks from it.

It has lots of potential.

Kind of ironic that the gulf coast state with the shortest coastline has it's deepest bay.

are you serious?? The deepest bay? The Mobile bay is very turbid.. because?? It is shallow.. in fact, most of the bay is actually made up of marsh, and is like 5 feet deep at the deepest. The only deep parts are in the channels. They are man made. The reason for it being shallow, because the mobile bay drains 1/5 of the countrys water. Very important waterway... what is ironic however is that AL is the gulf coast with the shortest coast, but one of the most important port cities.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived