• Orlando
    • San Antonio
    • Tampa

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe it's just the angle, but Memphis's skyline seems to be more dense than Nashville's. At any rate, Memphis' may not be as "modern," but I still like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've posted elsewhere about Memphis's skyline. All it really lacks is a really tall tower, say 50 stories. The UP bank building (Memphis's tallest and ugliest) is roughly 35 stories, maybe 425 feet.

Someone earlier posted on this thread about the value of street-level appeal. This is where Memphis excels. There's a good mix of old and new, and with the increasing pace of redevelopment of old buildings down there, it'll only get better at street level. And there's nothing quite like Beale Street.

The Birmingham News recently ran an article on what's happening in downtown Memphis, because Bham is at least 8 years behind Memphis in redevelopment efforts:

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/n...ews?nmet&coll=2

Charlotte wins on sheer impressiveness, but I prefer a mix of old and new. And downtown Baltimore is hard to beat for people who have young children.

As for Baltimore's being southern, historically that is true, but, having lived in MD for 6 years, I never met anyone from Bmore who seemed even remotely southern to me. Whenever I see Hitchcock's "Marnie," where Sean Connery figures out she's from Baltimore by her southern accent, I have to laugh.

As for Baltimore's being southern, historically that is true, but, having lived in MD for 6 years, I never met anyone from Bmore who seemed even remotely southern to me. Whenever I see Hitchcock's "Marnie," where Sean Connery figures out she's from Baltimore by her southern accent, I have to laugh.

Maryland was indeed Southern for many years (and still is in pockets). Yankee troops from Massachussetts travelling South to Washington at the very start of the War Of Northern Aggression were attacked by citizens of Baltimore in a street battle which claimed many lives. The Southern majority was overrun by carpetbaggers in the 20th century and this process continues today (and has claimed much of Northern Virginia too). This also was made worse by the growth of the central govt in Washington which transformed Washington from a small village to a Rome on the Potomac.

By the way, I think the old Baltimore accent was like a tidewater Virginia accent and did not ever sound the same as the accent in present day Alabama, for example.

Birmingham may be behind Memphis redevelopment, but saying it's by 8 years is a bit extreme IMO. Birmingham suffers from the same as Memphis in that we lack a very tall tower. Our tallest is 35-stories and 450ft. If we had a couple more 30+ story buildings or one 50-story tower, Birmingham's skyline would be much more visible (literally and figuratively). Birmingham has our fair share of midrise buildings... we just need a couple more highrises. We have a few highrises proposed or rumored, but none of 50-stories or anything like that. As far as this poll, I would probably have to say Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham may be behind Memphis redevelopment, but saying it's by 8 years is a bit extreme IMO.  Birmingham suffers from the same as Memphis in that we lack a very tall tower.  Our tallest is 35-stories and 450ft.  If we had a couple more 30+ story buildings or one 50-story tower, Birmingham's skyline would be much more visible (literally and figuratively).  Birmingham has our fair share of midrise buildings... we just need a couple more highrises.  We have a few highrises proposed or rumored, but none of 50-stories or anything like that.  As far as this poll, I would probably have to say Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that article, and I think it was just referring to residential development. In that sense, I think it's probably accurate. There was a condo tower being built, old office buildings being converted, and Mud Island opening up back in the 80's.

But I think Birmingham will most likely compress 20 yr. of Memphis' residential development into 5 yrs. It's just that Memphis was ahead of the game, and ahead of most other cities, in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived