Upstate International?

hub-city

Since USC Spartanburg recently changed it's name to USC Upstate to better reflect our growing region, should our airport do the same? My question is do we market ourselves better as a region, or does that cause our cities to lose some of their identity.

I'm not proposing anything - just looking for discussion. I also realize that "international" is a stretch.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean? It is GSP International Airport. I think that better connotes the area it serves. There are alot of states that have an "upstate" (New York). USC Upstate is a regional institure more so than an interational one. It might lead to some confusion. Intersting topic though :)

There are those that feel that it will truly not be international until there is a passenger flight. I believe the farthest passenger flight is Dallas. Not sure. Are there any international regular BMW flights. I personally like the international designation. Speaking of confusion. While the majority of the airport is in Sptbg, try telling a booking agent that you want to fly there.

I think that all international flights are connected through Charlotte or Atlanta. It does annoy me that Greenville gets credit for having BMW and the airport, eceb though both are in Spartanburg County, and are closest to Greer. So what about Greer International?

it always annoys me too that greenville gets the credit a lot of the time for the airport and BMW.  aren't they both in spartanburg county?  i also agree that greer should have more credit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BMW is in Spartanburg County. The airport is probably 95% in Spartanburg County. A part of the runway is in Greenville County.

To be fair, Greer owes its growth and success to its location between Greenville and Spartanburg.

To be fair, Greer owes its growth and success to its location between Greenville and Spartanburg.

Very true. But at the same time Greer wants to be thought of as more than a suberb of Greenville, they want to be known as a city of its own, seperate from Greenville.

If Greer keeps having more success annexing properties than Spartanburg and Greenville, they could become the larger city with the other two as their suburbs.

Better yet, Greer could change their name to Upstate and really watch the fur fly!! A lot going on over there.

If Greer keeps having more success annexing properties than Spartanburg and Greenville, they could become the larger city with the other two as their suburbs.

Better yet, Greer could change their name to Upstate and really watch the fur fly!!  A lot going on over there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats never going to happen. Greer will always be a lot smaller then both Greenville and Spartanburg. Don't forget Greenville and Spartanburg have a lot more development going on than Greer. Most people move to Greer to somewhat get away from the hustle and bustle of the other two cities. Even if Greer continues to annex those are just government drawn lines. Keep in mind that Greenville has an urban area of 302,194; the correct way to judge a cities size. It would take a miracle and butt load of development for Greer to reach that size.

Very true.  But at the same time Greer wants to be thought of as more than a suberb of Greenville, they want to be known as a city of its own, seperate from Greenville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats probably not going to happen. It literally touches Greenville and is mostly in Greenville County. Riding Wade Hampton you can't really tell you left Greenville, went through Taylors, and entered Greer. Take the signs down and you wouldn't have a clue if you weren't from the area. I live in Simpsonville and completely understand that the growth is because its a suburb of Greenville. Doesn't bother me, I love Greenville. Hey, if this were Augusta, GA all of this would be Greenville City. :D

Upstate International is a bad idea! If it were to become "Upstate International" the airport's identity with Spartanburg would end. For instance, when the marketing wizards changed the Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem Regional Airport to Piedmont Triad International Airport, High Point and Winston-Salem lost their connection with the airport. Many people who would otherwise identity the airport with each of the three cities now only identify the airport with Greensboro.

Geographically, GSP International is appoximately 12 miles from downtown Greenville and 18 miles from downtown Spartanburg. Not exactly halfway but close enough to Spartanburg to keep the "Greenville-Spartanburg" designation.

While not suggesting the airport's name should be inverted (Spartanburg-Greenville International), I do think the airport and the region should do more to emphasize Spartanburg in the name.i

With the Greensboro case, it made the name of the airport readable. Greensboro - High Point - Winston-Salem International Airport is very wordy. Piedmont Triad is a much better name IMO.

You could argue that Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport is wordy too, but we have the GSP acronym, which flows better than GHPWS.

Since USC Spartanburg recently changed it's name to USC Upstate to better reflect our growing region, should our airport do the same?  My question is do we market ourselves better as a region, or does that cause our cities to lose some of their identity.

I'm not proposing anything - just looking for discussion.  I also realize that "international" is a stretch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What people unfamiliar with our region don't realize is that our cities are fiercely independent and have usually given only lip service to regional cooperation. The name change at USC-Spartanburg was the result of South Carolina politics and really had nothing to do with "regional identity". The airport is about the only example where regional cooperation succeeded. It suceeded because of the vision and determination of two prominent businessmen, Charles Daniel and Roger Milliken. (If you browse the local newspapers in the late 1950's you will notice that the local politicians were not exactly thrilled about a regional airport).

As Greer, Mauldin, and Easley grow I suspect you will see even less cooperation. These cities are already doing things to establish their own identities independent of Greenville.

Is this an upstate phenomena? Of course not. Have you ever been to Dallas and Fort Worth. Read the story about the competition between these two cities. In doing so, be sure to read about their rivalry over air service that began in the 1930's and continues today even though they share an airport!

Nevertheless, I think there is some room for regional cooperation. Light rail, EPA air quality standards are a couple that come to mind.

a

it always annoys me too that greenville gets the credit a lot of the time for the airport and BMW.  aren't they both in spartanburg county?  i also agree that greer should have more credit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its funny that when you pick up a magazine, trade journal, or newspaper in another part of the country BMW's plant is referred to as "BMW's Spartanburg County South Carolina plant". When the plant was first announced back in '92 everyone in the national media referred to BMW's new plant location as Spartanburg. The Greenville media refers to the plant's location as being in Greer, folks in Greer claim the plant for themselves, and Spartanburg's media (except, of course, WSPA-TV) refers to the plant's location as Spartanburg County. However, if you check BMW's website the location is Spartanburg, SC!

There are those that feel that it will truly not be international until there is a passenger flight.  I believe the farthest passenger flight is Dallas.  Not sure.  Are there any international regular BMW flights.  I personally like the international designation.  Speaking of confusion.  While the majority of the airport is in Sptbg, try telling a booking agent that you want to fly there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was on a flight from CLE to GSP a couple of weeks ago and the Continental pilot emphasized Spartanburg when referencing the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport. I think he understands that people in Spartanburg (GSP), St. Paul (MSP), Durham (RDU), Fort Worth (DFW), Tacoma (SEA), etc. appreciate hearing and seeing their cities when flying.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a flight from CLE to GSP a couple of weeks ago and the Continental pilot  emphasized Spartanburg when referencing the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport.  I think he understands that people in Spartanburg (GSP), St. Paul (MSP), Durham (RDU), Fort Worth (DFW), Tacoma (SEA), etc. appreciate hearing and seeing their cities when flying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like 99% of the flights I'm on they refer to it as Greenville SpartanSburg.

I really hate that.

Since USC Spartanburg recently changed it's name to USC Upstate to better reflect our growing region, should our airport do the same?  My question is do we market ourselves better as a region, or does that cause our cities to lose some of their identity.

I'm not proposing anything - just looking for discussion.  I also realize that "international" is a stretch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think GSP's PR people need to start working on this problem. I've heard it too!

Archived