Retailers You'd Like To See

Actually Filene's Basement and Filene's of Boston haven't been connected since the '80s.  Currently Filene's Basement is owned by Retail Ventures, an Ohio-based company that also operates Value City and DSW Shoe Warehouse.  So a Filene's  Basement could be a possibility for uptown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clay Grubb mentioned in an article in Charlotte Magazine that he tried to land Neiman Marcus for the center city when Saks first announced it was coming to Charlotte. The folks at Neimans told him they would not locate in Charlotte with Saks there because in their opinion Charlotte could not support Saks and Neimans. When Glen Eagles fell through Neiman jumped into SouthPark in a way to try to shut Saks out of the picture and take the city for themselves. The rumors about Saks locating in Elizabeth are weak I think. I know Clay Grubb was quoted at one time as saying that if they were interested in an Elizabeth location he would welcome them; but let's be honest here what developer wouldn't? Also the demographics are incredibly strong all around Elizabeth, which was another factor for the rumor mill.

On the other hand you can't take what the Neimans folks say as gold either. Saks could very well still be interested in Charlotte and this city always seems to have a way of amazing everyone in getting what it wants. To my understanding there are now 2 anchor spots on Elizabeth Ave. I would love to see Crate and Barrel and Saks take them but I will wait and see what does actually hit. I also think Morrison Place would be a strong contender for landing either store and there have been rumors about a Morrison Place Crate and Barrel.

I keep hearing about Morrison Place and C&B, but I think that SoutPark is trying to tie them up to the small mixed use center it is going to develop on its property where the Christmas Tree typically is.....

Also, I'm not sure how big C&B's typically are, but I know they are limited to one mid-size box at Morrison Place and they have already signed Earth Fare to take that spot......I don't think they can another store bigger than either 15k or 20k sq. ft.

thanks for the info, appatone. I had suspected that saks would have a hard time, as they ahve been largely shut out of southpark.

I still have some hope that saks, which supposedly is more open to new urban developments than others, might consider elizabeth, though. The nordstrom and U/C neiman marcus stores are bother among their company's smallest stores. That may be leave some room for saks to locate in charlotte.

There also may be considerable intangeable benefit to locating near uptown along the streetcar line.

All that said, i agree it is a long shot.

My two cents:

-- Crate & Barrel usually takes around 30,000 square feet for a full-sized store. That makes them a good possibility for Elizabeth, Morrison Place or SouthPark. However, C&B is not officially negotiating in any of these areas. Of course, any official announcements would only be made after a deal had been reached.

-- Just by virtue of the better demographics, Elizabeth Avenue is more likely to land Saks than Uptown. If not there, it will probably be SouthPark in the Dick's space. No proof, just a hunch.

-- Nordstom and Neiman-Marcus SouthPark are smaller than the averege stores for either chain, but Nordstrom has refined its prototype store for a more efficent layout (all of their new stores are smaller) and Charlotte is one of NM's smallest markets, which means that the store will be smaller.

I checked the approved uses for Morrison Place allowed by the conditional zoning. They are allowed one tenant to take 25,000 sq. ft., which is already going to Earth Fare, and they are allowed one tenant to take 15,000 sq. ft. in one building, and an additional 17,000 sq. ft. on the second floor. No other tenant may occupy more than 15,000 sq. ft.

So it looks like if Crate and Barrel goes to Morrison Place, then they will have to be 2 stories.

I don't see Saks coming to Charlotte until NM has been open for at least a year to measure their success. They could go to Elizabeth, but the whole company is in trouble and they have been closing underperforming stores, many of which are in urban developments rather than malls which seems to be doing better. The Dick's site seems to be a best bet since they don't really belong in that mall.

I could see Crate & Barrel with a two-level store like atlrvr described at Morrison Place. They tend to build muti-level stores when they're full-line. In fact, that may be the answer to the Charlotte Crate & Barrel mystery :thumbsup:

The reginoal department store portion of Saks (Proffitt's, Parisian, McRae's) is the part that's having the most financial trouble. Saks Fifth Avenue as a chain is a little healthier, and even though they've been closing stores, they've also been opening stores too.

We'll have to see what shakes out of the next few years concerning Charlotte.

I could see Crate & Barrel with a two-level store like atlrvr described at Morrison Place.  They tend to build muti-level stores when they're full-line.  In fact, that may be the answer to the Charlotte Crate & Barrel mystery :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'm just dumbfounded that Crate & Barrel still doesn't have a Charlotte store. Recently they put up a distribution center in Lincolnton, but still no plans for a Charlotte store - despite there being a Raleigh store. I think C&B is one of the most requested stores by Charlotteans, and it would be stupid for them to keep stalling and not plan a Charlotte store by now.

I think I'm just dumbfounded that Crate & Barrel still doesn't have a Charlotte store.  Recently they put up a distribution center in Lincolnton, but still no plans for a Charlotte store - despite there being a Raleigh store.  I think C&B is one of the most requested stores by Charlotteans, and it would be stupid for them to keep stalling and not plan a Charlotte store by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a friend who works for a retail advisory services company and works with Crate & Barrel on a regular basis. Besides saying they're a bunch of kooks (they're owned by two people along the lines of J. Peterman on Seinfeld), he tells me that they don't "get" Charlotte. Seems we suffer from too much wealth. Yeah, you heard me right. They chose Raleigh because it has a very large middle-income population which is their target customer. Charlotte, on the other hand, has a large high-income population, but not so large mid-range. My friend swears they told him C&B has no plans for a Charlotte store, regardless of what Clay Grubb might say about Elizabeth Ave or Morrison Place.

So it looks like if Crate and Barrel goes to Morrison Place, then they will have to be 2 stories.

Seems like the C&B in Chicago is 5 stories. It's been a while since I lived there and I can't remember, but that sounds right.

I've been in that Crate and Barrel and simply don't understand what the big deal is about them. I didn't seen anything in there that you can't get anywhere else, and like Williams-Sonoma, there really isn't anything in the store that is worth the money. Certainly not good cooking implements. Most people who are serious about cooking are going to go elsewhere.

Personally, I quite like their furniture and atmosphere. I'm not so sure you can get the stuff elsewhere. There are some select stores at Southpark that carry some of the trends like Bombay, but as a whole there isn't a store that carries it all or even most.

Grubb project in south park at Morrison and Colony, caddy corner to Morrocroft. It will include 125,000 sq. ft. of retail, and about 450 apartments in the first phase. The next two phases include condos and age-restricted apartments/condos. It is fairly urban in design, but much less so than the orginal plan.

Grubb project in south park at Morrison and Colony, caddy corner to Morrocroft.  It will include 125,000 sq. ft. of retail, and about 450 apartments in the first phase.  The next two phases include condos and age-restricted apartments/condos.  It is fairly urban in design, but much less so than the orginal plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have any renderings?

Unfortunately those renderings don't correspond to the current site plan....there will be some 2 story buildings near the corner and the project gets taller towards the back.....weird, it seems backwards from an urban planning perspective.....anyway, I drove by there today and the footing are poured for several buildings and steel is going up for one of them.

I've been in that Crate and Barrel and simply don't understand what the big deal is about them.  I didn't seen anything in there that you can't get anywhere else, and like Williams-Sonoma, there really isn't anything in the store that is worth the money.  Certainly not good cooking implements.  Most people who are serious about cooking are going to go elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wholehartedly disagree, monsoon. There are some retailers out there that are more about image than substance (cough, Pottery Barn, cough, Bath & Body Works, cough) but Crate and Barrel and Williams-Sonoma are the real deal.

I've been in that same Crate and Barrel that you mentioned in Chicago (as well as several others) and found it to be an excellent store. The things that they sell are fairly priced, of great quality and will fit into any home and almost any situation. Maybe it doesn't have much 'wow' factor for you, but it's not really about 'wow.' It's about getting things for your home that are modern, well-designed and functional, as well as tasteful. A lot of stores like Target have emulated Crate and Barrel to the point that it may seem redundant, but the prices are just as good at Crate and Barrel (by comparasin) and the selection is more interesting and consistent.

Williams-Sonoma is an excellent retailer as well. Their service is better than most stores and the accessable knowledge base about their products is far above what you'd find in most retailers. Williams-Sonoma has a lot of great things I like to use like Emile Henry earthenware, Le Creuset and All-Clad cookware, and Neilson-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla that are scarce at most stores, and the return poilicy is above and beyond what anyone would expect.

My how everything cycles (a good thing for the most part)...it's time for retail to re-enter the downtown/uptown/center city/whatever-you-wanna-call-it market. Does anyone recall the Belk's that used to sit on the current BOA Corporate Center site?

For downtown: North Tryon "Village" where the old Sears building sits - two department stores and a plethora of small retail (both chain and local/upstart). Among national retailers, we need a Crate & Barrel, bookstore, music store, etc.

As a long-time downtown resident (3rd Ward), I would love to have a basic hardware store nearby (as opposed to a Hard Rock Cafe - ugh). I'm thrilled that Whole Foods is coming in and the Home Depot Expo/Target at midtown. Hurry!

Just a tip here, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel and many other similar retailers get the majority of there upholstered furniture pieces from Mitchell Gold which is a North Carolina manufacturer. Mitchell Gold has a factory outlet in Hickory where you can buy this furniture at much lower prices then the stores themselves have.

Also, it appears Mitchell Gold is now opening its own stores in many cities so it would be nice if Charlotte could have one of those.

Archived