Anderson Developments

JT Boy

A Pittsburg based plastics company is expanding their Anderson operation and moving their headquarters to Anderson! :tough: They are located in the Advanced Materials Center (formerly Clemson Research Park) and plan to expand their current site.

Anderson Independent Article Here.

Company rep says over the next few years they'll invest about $6 million, add 40-50,000 sq ft of space and add an addtional 20 employees.

For anyone that doesn't know - that research park is one of the real bright spots in Anderson. It's located off of I85 exit 14 towards Pendleton in a very quiet area. The park targets research and tech companies and cooperates closely with Clemson University. I'm not sure on the numbers, but there are probably 10 companies located there. Anderson recently started marketing it more aggressively. Hope this is a sign of things to come. :thumbsup:

Also noticed a new space in DT Anderson called Bella. Anyone know the scoop on this?

I got an answer for you about Bella. It's going to be a women's and children's store with some unique fashion emphasis. The info comes from an Anderson Independent piece about new businesses moving to downtown in the near future. There is also a new restaurant on the way across the street from Bella.

Check out the article here. :thumbsup:

I have a theory about Pendleton Station although I have no evidence other than watching Pendleton politics for a long time. My theory is that a lot of people never wanted Pendleton Station. They prefer not to have their town developed. They don't want more housing 'cause they don't want new neighbors...especially students! They couldn't legally stop Pendleton Station, but they waited until the developer made a mistake and shut the whole thing down. :) Admittedly this is a very cynical perspective, but these are the same people that chased BMW away from Anderson to Spartanburg! :(

Don't know what Bella is. I'd like to though.

I'm not sure how BMW is related to this at all. Its in Spartanburg County, and its location was chosen in large part due to the proximity to GSP International and proximity to both Greenville and Spartanburg workforces.

I'm not sure how BMW is related to this at all. Its in Spartanburg County, and its location was chosen in large part due to the proximity to GSP International and proximity to both Greenville and Spartanburg workforces.

I admit the connection between BMW and Pendleton Station is a stretch... but my point was the general lack of positive response to development in Pendleton. They have made it pretty clear they do NOT want their town developed. They do NOT want a lot of new people moving in. They want to remain a small town. I can't help but think this affects anyone trying to do a major development like Pendleton Station - even if it has official approval. The negative climate has consequences.

For the connection with BMW you have to know the history. It was a site in Pendleton that attracted BMW to the upstate. They were keen to locate in Pendleton. It was the frontrunner. It was only after the community made it clear they were not welcome that the site in Greer emerged as the odds on favorite to win the development.

A few items of note...

Anderson Joes season starts May 18. Stadium renovations are scheduled to be complete ontime for opening day.

AIM Article here.

A new Restaurant downtown had a soft opening this week with over 200 patrons! That's good news. :thumbsup: McCarty's is the name. AIM article here.

Finally, downtown Anderson has a new marketing strategy which looks cool as all get out (have you heard that phrase in the last 10 years!?) Check out the marketing plan here. It's the "branding" link that I thought was really well done. If this is implemented well. Downtown Anderson will really be a destination soon and will be thriving! The future looks bright. :shades:

Here's some stuff I didn't know about efforts Anderson County is making to spur development.

Anderson is proactively looking at Agricultural development in very progressive ways. "Niche markets for the pharma and bio indsutries. Raw material production for alternative fuel. Organic and free range foods." - Heather Jones - Econ Dev director for AC posted on another site.

Another similar angle being explored is the Equine industry which Anderson is already a leader in... "Garrison Arena is a huge asset that we should be proud of. We also have the Equine Reserach Center at Clemson in Anderson County as well as some of the cattle/bull research facilities at Simpson." - Heather Jones.

Here's where they are looking for the future. How about an outdoor arena. A place for folks to attend sactioned events like at Kentucky Horse Park. The idea is that locals love horses and would support it. And there is an avid group of people who follow equestrian events. We have an event coming next month to Garrison Arena that will draw 450 out of towners to Anderson. Could the Equine industry bring tourists to Anderson? Sure it could. And it's a green industry to boot.

I'd just never thought of that angle on Anderson County development. It's not exactly "Urban" development, but it's sustainable, capitalizes on existing culture and infrastructure and is progressive. :thumbsup:

Finally, downtown Anderson has a new marketing strategy which looks cool as all get out (have you heard that phrase in the last 10 years!?) Check out the marketing plan here. It's the "branding" link that I thought was really well done. If this is implemented well. Downtown Anderson will really be a destination soon and will be thriving! The future looks bright. :shades:

Impressive! Downtown Anderson has the makings for what could be SC's next downtown success story.

I'm digging the logo as well; it fits "the Electric City" quite well.

I know this is only a rumor, but I really like the sound of it: A fairly reliable source informed me that Cabela's is pretty much a sure thing for Anderson. Whether this means that it will be included in the new center at I-85 and Clemson Boulevard, or whether it will be part of a new development, I did not confirm. :shades:

According to WYFF, Anderson Mall will be getting a new, large anchor tenant. Dillard's has announced they will put their first Anderson store at the mall and it will open in the fall of 2008. It will join JC Penney, Sears, and Belk's as the primary anchors of the mall.

^ this Dillards news is good. :thumbsup: We have known about this for a long long time though. I wonder why it took so long for clear plans to materialize.

Glad to hear it will be a two floor anchor. I think the Belks would do well as a multi-story anchor as well, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to make that happen.

I like to see Sears and JCPenney expand into multi level anchors unless any bolt out to Rosewood. Vertical expansion for retailers remain the way to go.

I wonder if Simon Management plans to make exterior improvements to the mall repaving the parking lot, new landscaping, a new road marquis, etc.

The AIM story today has the answer to the question of external renovations. They are planning to create a "lifestyle center" which as best I can tell means renovating the outside and having outside oriented retail as well with really nice landscaping. See the article here. This article also has a photo rendering that looks nice. The new retail will add 30,000 sq ft... that's in addition to the Dillards. :thumbsup:

^ I don't know what they'll try to attract to the new lifestyle space. At least one cafe would be appropriate I think.

I think their timing is good too. Anderson Mall needs a major face life if it's going to compete with the Rosewood Mall coming at 85. If done well (and the rendering on the AIM website is charming) I think it will be a great addition. They'd better make sure they can keep those storefronts full though. Nothing would be worse than empty space on the outside part of the mall.

It looks like there is yet more retail coming to Clemson Blvd. A former car lot was bought and bigbox retail is coming. Rumors are Kohl's, Staples and Starbucks. Read the story here.

In even better news though - Genesis Solutions a software development company based on Florida is setting up shop in downtown Anderson. The owner bought the Avenue of the Oaks (antique shop) building (201 S Main) and is renovating the facade and second floor. They say they'll start with 6-10 employees. It's a small investment, but just the kind of thing downtown Anderson needs! :thumbsup: Article is here.