Anderson Developments

JT Boy

The new Walgreen's Distribution Center in Anderson is getting national attention.

NBC Nightly News and the WallStreet Journal are both doing stories.

In case you aren't familiar, the unique thing about this place is that a huge percentage of the workforce will be people with some form of disability. I forget the numbers. Pretty cool publicity for Anderson and the entire upstate. :thumbsup:

That's pretty awesome! I have some more respect from Walgreen's, that's for sure. While able bodied individuals can fill a lot of positions that may open in the county, this will definitely help unemployment numbers, because those who can't find certain jobs as easy, now have a little help to make that easier. If that made any sense.

Had to run to Clemson the other day, and I loved how the Watermark Condos looked from Clemson Blvd. It's definitely got some great exposure for Anderson. I can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup:

Had to run to Clemson the other day, and I loved how the Watermark Condos looked from Clemson Blvd. It's definitely got some great exposure for Anderson. I can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup:

They had an open house on Saturday. I don't remember ever seeing any major announcement about this place, but it's got to be the biggest residential structure to be built in Anderson in decades. Next to the Calhoun, the Hospital and the First Baptist Senior Home - it's the tallest building in Anderson, right?

Exit 19 is starting to look... dare I say... urban. :thumbsup:

Edited by interestedexpat

So I guess, is it complete or nearly? I didn't think it looked that far along.

What's going on with the proposed retail center at exit 19? I assume when we first heard anything about it that it was in very early stages. So naturally it will take a while to get started with construction, but I'm surprised nothing else has been said-- or atleast I haven't heard anything else. I hope that it will be urban in nature. Something along the lines of McChesney's Greenville project in terms of density or mixed use... Just thinkin' here.

Back to Anderson....

Downtown doesn't have vary many people, this much is true. However, you have to look beyond downtown. What type of market is within a few miles of downtown? Would these people drive to downtown? Perhaps the grocery stores that are there now serve them well. That Ingles on Main near the Boulevard always seems to be packed with cars, and maybe that is enough to serve downtown?

The convenience store idea would be great. The whole concept of a corner store is all but lost these days.

The Kroger downtown Anderson closed after a short run because of theft. The store was carried out bit by bit. I worked for a "rival" at the time and it was common knowledge that they were being taken. They finally cut their losses and closed. No one ever even tried to go there again.

The Kroger downtown Anderson closed after a short run because of theft. The store was carried out bit by bit. I worked for a "rival" at the time and it was common knowledge that they were being taken. They finally cut their losses and closed. No one ever even tried to go there again.

Hi Romania,

Do you know if it was employee theft or customer theft? The location was/is in a pretty dicey location. I wonder if modern theft supression techniques might be able to solve that problem.

Hi Romania,

Do you know if it was employee theft or customer theft? The location was/is in a pretty dicey location. I wonder if modern theft supression techniques might be able to solve that problem.

As I understood it, definitely the neighborhood. Sometimes the theft late at night was so brazen people just carried things out of the store. Employees were too afraid to stop them and the police were there all the time. They finally cut their losses and closed shop. It seems that they were told the River St. store was a really bad idea, but not being a local chain, all they saw was a lot of potential customers.

This article is in today's Anderson Independent Mail on-line... city wants to buy Kroger River St. site for offices.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2007/j...go-renovations/

Just a small correction - the County bought the site earlier this year. It caused the standard Anderson drama of Councilwoman Cindy Wilson claiming that administrator Joey Preston was doing something illegal. The new news is that they are ready to begin renovations which will move some county offices to the site.

Just a small correction - the County bought the site earlier this year. It caused the standard Anderson drama of Councilwoman Cindy Wilson claiming that administrator Joey Preston was doing something illegal. The new news is that they are ready to begin renovations which will move some county offices to the site.

Thanks .....what is going on with Ms. Wilson? Always seems to have controversy and conspiracy surrounding her.

Well let's see here. Bath and Body Works is opening their new store on the 23rd, followed by Victoria's Secret on the 25th. Kay Jewelers appears to be close to completing their renovation. The Men's Express closed. I don't know who's coming in there, but Gap was about 10 years ahead of it's time. God forbid it's Charlotte Russe.

And why in the hell did Sonny's BBQ close?

On a side note, what would it take to give Anderson its own subforum? If there is a moderator out there that could create one, that would be great. A few topics could include: Mall renovations, new shopping center at 85 @ clemson blvd, downtown renovations (Chiqola club, etc), Development of Highway 81, any others....?

On a side note, what would it take to give Anderson its own subforum? If there is a moderator out there that could create one, that would be great. A few topics could include: Mall renovations, new shopping center at 85 @ clemson blvd, downtown renovations (Chiqola club, etc), Development of Highway 81, any others....?

That's the same thing I was wondering about Rock Hill considering the amount of projects and the large growth.

I'll say the same to y'all as I did to the Rock Hill folks. We base new subforum creation on activity levels. Anderson has seen a pick up in activity recently, so a subforum may not be out of the question in the near future. But until such time occurs- you or anyone else out there should feel free to make as many threads about Anderson as you want. All of those are legitimate topics that until now have basicly been covered in one thread. Lets get some new threads and new discussions going, then we'll see about a subforum.

It is great to see an investment bettering the quality of healthcare in the downtown area.

Parking will be an issue if they want to have multiple surface parking lots. I do not find that aesthetically pleasing, as a surface lot looks uglier than a parking structure with vast landscape around it. The hospital should seriously consider a parking deck.

Ditto for support for an Anderson forum.

I wonder how feasible it would be to expand the current parking deck? But, the other side of the hospital will need some form of a parking lot if they are going to put another builing there. The last thing i like to see in downtown environments is a piece of land turned into pavement, it stunts upward growth too much.

I'll have to start taking pictures and find topics to discuss, seeing how im moving to Anderson in the next year I'll make an effort to show interest in the City and this board.

I'd love to see Anderson with it's own subforum, but based on the activity in Anderson threads, I'd say we aren't ready yet. It's good to see a couple of new people posting.

Took my annual trip to Anderson last week and was really encouraged by the amount of building going on. The track of land near the Walmart of Clemson Blvd is really big. The rumor was a couple of big chains plus a starbucks. If it's the entire property that's being talked about there must be more to it.

I was particularly impressed with the number of Apartment and dense (for Anderson) housing developments that are being built. There's been a lot of movement in the last few years.

The Watermarke looks great BTW. It makes a big impression coming from Anderson towards Clemson on Clemson Blvd. :thumbsup:

Edited by interestedexpat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was a story in AIM late last week that the Hilton Garden Inn at Clemson Blvd and I85 is having problems. Apparently the hotel is doing well, but the restaurant and conference center are not doing well. There is some problem with the management refusing to act in a responsible manner. Some of the investors are suing for the right to remove the current management. The story made it sound like a crisis point. I hope the investment is too much money for someone to just let the thing close. It would be a big blow.

It'd be great if Anderson could support its own subforum on here. If Myrtle Beach has one, surely Anderson could support one. MB's last posts were 25th and 31st of July. The next most recent: May and March. Anderson has more interest than that, though I'm sure Myrtle Beach has more development.