Anderson Developments

JT Boy

I think that the best way to answer that is with a quick history lesson. We've tried many different ways of organizing the forum over years, and this is the one that seems to work best. We used to have it set up with an Upstate forum, then Greenville and Spartanburg subforums. This proved to be too cumbersome for staff to manage and confusing/frustrating for some members to navigate, and the Upstate portion of it was rarely used. To see how it used to look, click here. We discussed merging Greenville and Spartanburg into an Upstate forum last year, but the consensus was to leave it alone.

So our policy today is generally to do a regional forum or individual city forums for places like the Upstate. For examples of regional forums, check out North Carolina's Triad and Triangle forums. I personally prefer the way we have it set up to the way they have it set up. It makes finding what you want to talk about much easier (at least to me it does!).

All I'm asking for is an Anderson subforum. I don't see a need to have an upstate subforum, just because of the discussion in the Audi/VW topic doesn't mean we have to merge all the cities together on the board too ;):P

I have to agree that the board is relatively easy to navigate, although I don't like how there is 2 sections of topics under the South Carolina sub forums. It makes sense to have sub forums for cities as well as generic posts under SC, but the 11 Topics floating between the 2 really annoy me :lol: . Use the sticky feature if its neccesary, but I think those 11 topics could use some prunning and be moved off that little sub-section.

PS: Mods, I know you're working on the subforum for Anderson, this is just some friendly ribbing ;)

Edited by ab1137

I am starting to think that neither of the Town Centers at Exit 19 are going to happen.

The 60 Acres Rosewood Owns is up for sale. Click Here for Website

ANd the 125 Acres ReltiCorp owns across the street is also for sale. Click Here for Website

I checked out the ads in the links and they don't look to me like the projects are on hold - they look like attempts to sell within the development. Both provide an overall site plan. Now it looks like they are looking for someone who wants to start building. But you probaby know a lot more about how commercial realestate developments like this work. I'm just an interested observer from the outside on these things.

On another note - I don't think these two will compete with each other (other than for tenants) but they will compete with other areas of commercial development in Anderson. Two major developments like this could really hurt the Mall area for instance (which has been hurt with each new development headed out Clemson Blvd. This is particularly true if the demographics of Anderson cannot support all the new shopping opportunities. This worries me a bit. Rather than renovate and update existing space - sprawl just buys new land and builds new. Generally I'm against sprawl.

I checked out the ads in the links and they don't look to me like the projects are on hold - they look like attempts to sell within the development. Both provide an overall site plan. Now it looks like they are looking for someone who wants to start building. But you probaby know a lot more about how commercial realestate developments like this work. I'm just an interested observer from the outside on these things.

On another note - I don't think these two will compete with each other (other than for tenants) but they will compete with other areas of commercial development in Anderson. Two major developments like this could really hurt the Mall area for instance (which has been hurt with each new development headed out Clemson Blvd. This is particularly true if the demographics of Anderson cannot support all the new shopping opportunities. This worries me a bit. Rather than renovate and update existing space - sprawl just buys new land and builds new. Generally I'm against sprawl.

Exactly, I don't believe either the Rosewood owner or RealtiCorp ever had the intention to develop the site, other than possibly in a JV capacity. My understanding is, they'd like to sell the respective tracts to a developer with experience doing a lifestyle or power/lifestyle hybrid center.

I've heard the Rosewood owner is primarily a land investor, whereas RealtiCorp is not only a land investor but also a developer. Therefore, a straight sale seems to be the only potential deal structure at Rosewood, whereas RealtiCorp appears to have a great deal more flexibility.

Personally, I don't think there are enough anchor targets for each site, and for that reason I don't envision two major developers each going forward with properties directly across Clemson Blvd from one another, but that's just my $0.02.

Danny Ford is one of the partners in a group that is going to invest $5 million to put a biodiesel firm in Anderson County. The article in AIM said it would bring about 30 jobs. It's a partnership with Clemson U. Additionally it said the facility would be in district 3. Isn't that Iva? That's awesome for that part of the county. It's not a hotbed of development. This will be really important for that community.

AIM Article Here.

Anderson Independent-Mail (18 June 2007): Anderson City Council approved the purchase of land to build a four-level parking structure at West Whitener and Murray. The ground level will offer commercial/retail space, and up to 260 parking spaces are planned.

So now we know where parking will be for the Chiquola.

The two city lots between Main and McDuffie are just as convenient to downtown and never anywhere near full.

I wonder what kind of retail they'll end up with... Isn't Dickie the guy who owns the Jockey Lot?

• 3 weeks later...

A Greenville doctor just bought the Old Anderson Hardware building in downtown Anderson. He also bought a couple of other sites. The Old Hardware building has been closed since the early 1970s. It's great to see something positive happen there. It is a strategic location in the downtown. :thumbsup:

Read about it in the AIM story here.

• 2 weeks later...

The Food Lion opened on US 24 at the intersection with Whitehall Road. AIM Article here. There is a Bilo being built right next door and an Ingles across the street. How much you wanta bet at least one of these stores is empty in 3 years?

Along with the Food Lion, there are the standard tag alongs. Chinese carry out, an ABC store and a Credit Union. Rumor has it that a national restaurant is looking at the space. McDonalds? It would do well there.

The McDonald's notwithstanding - this is classic sprawl. On the upside it does create a new commercial cooridor in Anderson in an underserved up and coming community.

Super Bi-Lo opened two weeks ago, replacing the Bi-Lo on Pearman Dairy Road (SC-28). Joining Ingle's and Food Lion, expect some healthy competition. The one who shorts in price, service (exceptional customer service, necessary departments including pharmacy, etc.), and selection will be the first to falter.

For national restaurant chains, I think there will be someone steps above McDonald's, something along the line of Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday.

Stine Gallery in downtown Anderson will be closing. It is a family business and the owners are retiring. The good news is the building is under contract. They didn't say who or what the plans are. But I have to think that when someone new puts a contract on a building, they must have plans. :thumbsup:

Article Here.

^ Agreed. I was excited to hear that another developer was willing to step in. This could have just sat and sat and sat until it was unredeemable. I understand that the people of Pendleton have to give the developer a variance allowing more than two unrelated people to live in the same dwelling. This seems targeted at CU students. Pendleton has been pretty clear in the past that they don't want to be a housing option for CU group homes. However, this might be the exception because of the alternative - abandoned development.

I understand some people do not like vagrant students living together and partying, but they do not look at the students who not prefer such a densely populated area and desire to live farther in a quieter area like Pendleton.

Speaking of student living, why is there a lack of decent apartment communities nearby US-76 that could target Clemson and Tri-County students?

^ Couldn't agree more Bo.

I would say that Pendleton's approach is borderline illegal. Is a city allowed to blatantly target a particular population of folks to keep out? Seems like classic discrimination. I'm sure college students are not a protected group in terms of civil rights, but can you imagine if a town tried to create ordinances targeting African Americans or gays.

It seems like this came up in Arlington VA or one of the towns in Fairfax Co when I lived in DC. Same type of ordinance - limits on numbers of non-relatives living together under one roof. It was targeting Latino group homes and I think there might have been a court challenge. Can't remember. Definitely remember it seemed discriminatory.

Seems like a better way to go would be to put fines in place making it clear that Pendleton wasn't the place to live if you want loud parties. A noise ordinance with a hefty fine would do the job.

Pendleton seems like it'd be missing out on some great revenue from student spending, especially in its downtown. Right now, students have no need to go to Pendleton, there's very little offered there and "no one" lives out that way. I can understand the reasons.

Clemson has a similar ordinance for houses, so it's not just Pendleton.