Anderson Developments

JT Boy

I don't think you can say outright that "we don't want any college students" but you can restrict what types of housing you allow in your town. You could say that you don't want to allow any more multi family housing (which attracts the most college students), but they could still live in single family housing. Thats what Central has done. They've had such a headache dealing with UV, the Reserve, and the other apartment complexes that they said that they just don't want to deal with it anymore, so they aren't going to allow any new complexes like that.

If Pendleton is doing the same thing its going to be interesting to see how that plays out on the Clemson housing market in the long term, as well as other parts of northern Anderson County.

Pendleton seems like it'd be missing out on some great revenue from student spending, especially in its downtown. Right now, students have no need to go to Pendleton, there's very little offered there and "no one" lives out that way. I can understand the reasons.

Clemson has a similar ordinance for houses, so it's not just Pendleton.

I'm guessing that a few bad instances clouded their view of the positive impact college students can bring. For a small town with a very small staff, it's easy to say "let's just not accomodate them." It's unfortunate.

• 2 weeks later...

AIM reported on Tuscany a new upscale neighborhood off of 81 N in Anderson is moving along well. It features fountains and lagoons. Interesting. One of the really interesting things though is this is another Anderson neighborhood locating on the far side of I85 from Anderson. I know of a few. It's a fairly recent trend that shows Anderson stretching its wings a bit. As neighborhoods stretch across the freeway, we are likely to see Anderson becoming more and more visible along 85 in the near future both in terms of traffic and development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kennedy Street School Redevelopment

The AIM is reporting a major senior living complex development from an old decrepit school facility in south Anderson. An area of the city which has long been neglected. This is good news on many fronts. It is not far from downtown. It's in a neglected area of town. It's infill. It sounds like a quality project. I could go on and on.

• 2 weeks later...

The developer doing the shopping cntr on Clemson Blvd purported to include a few big box retailers and a starbucks (among other things) is asking for tax incentives. The investment is $29,000,000.

I have some mixed feelings, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with tax incentives for retail. What about you guys? Is that a good idea from a development perspective? Is it normal for a retail project (big as it is) to request and get tax breaks?

• 1 month later...

Two hotels in Anderson are getting facelifts and a new name in the new year. The Ramada Inn on Clemson Blvd (not sure of the address) is becoming a Knight's Inn. My limited experience of hotel chains, that's a downgrade.

However, the Quality Inn at Clemson and Beltline is going to become a full service Holiday Inn. The artists rendering makes it look like it's going to be six floors to boot. That's a little taller than it is now! :) I wonder if the artist got is wrong though - 'cause the article doesn't say anything about building up. But it does emphasize over and over again how extensive the renovation will be.

At any rate - that's news.

• 2 months later...

Ethanol Company to invest $10 Million to build near Belton.

Not many jobs with this one, but the article says it will create a pretty good amount of tax revenue for District 1 and that it coudl open up this area to more development. I'm not sure I see how that will happen, but here's dreaming. That part of Anderson County sure could use some high quality jobs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Expanding beyond the city into the county, Powdersville may be getting a new shopping complex consisting of Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Walgreen's on the southeast corner of 153 and 81. Both a strip center has been demolished, and another huge tract of land is being cleared. If the rumors are correct, Walgreen's will go up at the interesction of 153 and 81, and Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond will go up in the new complex.

Expanding beyond the city into the county, Powdersville may be getting a new shopping complex consisting of Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Walgreen's on the southeast corner of 153 and 81. Both a strip center has been demolished, and another huge tract of land is being cleared. If the rumors are correct, Walgreen's will go up at the interesction of 153 and 81, and Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond will go up in the new complex.

Is Ingles still coming to this development?

I hope that it's well-designed. That road should not be allowed to get any more ticky-tacky development than it already has.

Speaking of roads, it is helpful to implement several projects:

1. Widen SC 81 to four lanes plus turn lane from SC 153 to Old Anderson Road North (Greenville County).

2. Relocate McNeely Road to intersect with Old Anderson Road in front or behind the site into a four way signalized intersection.

Is Ingles still coming to this development?

My initial guess was Ingle's planning a store on the northwest corner, the wooded corner, across from Rite Aid and Bi-Lo. If you check out aerial shots of the site, that makes it difficult for a very large store.

Locating in a development with Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond would not be shocking, but I have nothing new on that front to report.

• 2 years later...

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2011/nov/17/main-street-building-reflect-new-style-downtown-an/

This is a prototypical example of the 'modern vs. traditional' in a historic Downtown. This may be one of the most stark examples that I have seen in a long while.

I personally think it is not modern but more of a throwback to the '60's and '70's. It has been awhile since I have been to DT Anderson, but this doesn't fit in with what I remember this area to be. I hope they only 'cover up' the historic facade and not remove the elements. I can see someone wanted to 'restore' it in a decade or two.

That said, I think modern and historic can and do co-exist well, but this example is just a bridge too far, IMO.

http://www.independe...le-downtown-an/

This is a prototypical example of the 'modern vs. traditional' in a historic Downtown. This may be one of the most stark examples that I have seen in a long while.

I personally think it is not modern but more of a throwback to the '60's and '70's. It has been awhile since I have been to DT Anderson, but this doesn't fit in with what I remember this area to be. I hope they only 'cover up' the historic facade and not remove the elements. I can see someone wanted to 'restore' it in a decade or two.

That said, I think modern and historic can and do co-exist well, but this example is just a bridge too far, IMO.

Wow. This building/developer has middle-child syndrome. They're asking for more than share of attention.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...