Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Thumbs up to both Hilton Garden Inn and Exit 19's growth in recent years with hotels and restaurants. All it needs is some retail and residences.

Does anyone think Exit 19's current interchange could use some improvement?

I think it was on heard that I had first heard that Anderson was getting a Wild Wings Downtown. I have since heard it is actually going to be at exit 19.

I see that the latest news on the Chiquola Hotel is that the mayor told a group of business leaders yesterday that the city was looking into buying the hotel to make it more marketable and speed the process next time someone is interested in renovating.

Is this a normal practice? I think I would be a little upset if I'd spent a bunch of time and money on a deal that colapsed at the last minute and the people I was negotiating with then turned around and bought the property.

See article: Independent Mail Article

The City of Greenville has been known to buy properties they wanteed to focus for redevelopment.

They used to own the West End Market and Currently own shares of the Woolworth's Building.

But the fact they they are buying the hotel is a slap in the face IF they are the reason the deal fell through.

But the fact they they are buying the hotel is a slap in the face IF they are the reason the deal fell through.

"IF" is always the key. The Independent Mail has done a couple of stories on the deal but none of them sorted through the allegations. They just reported what each side said. I still think a little investigative reporting would be interesting.

Oh well, maybe it's time to move on. One deal doesn't a city break. Good to know it's not unusual for a city to buy property it thinks is ready for re-development.

I see that the latest news on the Chiquola Hotel is that the mayor told a group of business leaders yesterday that the city was looking into buying the hotel to make it more marketable and speed the process next time someone is interested in renovating.

Is this a normal practice? I think I would be a little upset if I'd spent a bunch of time and money on a deal that colapsed at the last minute and the people I was negotiating with then turned around and bought the property.

See article: Independent Mail Article

Yes. It can be good or bad. Columbia has used this practice for many years, with decent results, but that is extremely arguable in some cases. They did get the ball rolling that way though. The quesition is how well do you think Anderson can do the project?

It's not too uncommon for a city to buy property for redevelopment, but the West End property was donated to Greenville, they didn't buy it. I think the same is true of the Woolworth building shares too.

Plus, this type of action is usually taken when nothing is happening is a given area, NOT when there is a live prospect in the pipeline. I'm sure the whole truth has not been printed.

I can't say for sure either but I think Skyliner is right. I think it's the County Arts Center Warehouse. I also saw a design a few months back (can't remember where). I remember thinking it looked pretty cool in the renderings. It's hard to see right now.

Having artist studios (I assume that's what we are looking at) butt right up to the Farmer's Market could make for some interesting synergy. I can imagine strolling through the farmers market and continuing down another block checking out local artists.

It looks like more lakefront condos in Anderson (although against the wishes of some local residents who protest anything that means more people).

There is an article in the IndependentMail today Independent Mail article I hate to see the fighting over it though. I understand it a lot better when the project seems further out of a developed area like the Pendleton Station stuff.

I can think of at least a couple other projects along the same lines that have been announced recently. Is the lakefront thing Anderson's real chance at a share of the amazing upstate growth?

Thanks for the article. I read it and I agree with the developer. I think that the owners nearby would much rather see another residential development versus a commercial one. Why are they so concerned with this. I would be excited to see more residential developments. I think it is a great market, especially on the lake.

It looks like more lakefront condos in Anderson (although against the wishes of some local residents who protest anything that means more people).

There is an article in the IndependentMail today Independent Mail article I hate to see the fighting over it though. I understand it a lot better when the project seems further out of a developed area like the Pendleton Station stuff.

I can think of at least a couple other projects along the same lines that have been announced recently. Is the lakefront thing Anderson's real chance at a share of the amazing upstate growth?

I think that Anderson's future growth lies bewteen the city and the Lake. There will be some growth from Pwsdersville, but less towards it.

Great development! :thumbsup:

The area between Powdersville and Anderson is pretty high priced currently. I know that in Anderson district one, prices are especially high due to it being Wren High School's district. When I looked around for land with a house, I was very amazed by by how expensive even a simple home was. The development will be gradual, but it will happen. Now there will be another highway built which will encourage even more growth around the Powdersville and Easley suburbs. Piercetown Community is very likely to grow, given its location close to I-85 and the way Brookstone Meadows is taking off. It is quite a sprawlopolis! ^_^

The Anderson Independent Mail link reported that a new group of professional buildings is being built on Beltline Blvd. The interesting thing is it calls for 16 buildings 2 stories each. The rendering in the article showed them looking like cheap houses. I was a little disappointed.

What I don't get is.... why not build 8 buildings of four floors each or 6 buildings with 5 floors each? I'm sure it is more expensive but it can't be that much more expensive. The difference would be tremendous visibility in a small market like Anderson. I'll bet the taller mid-rise buildings (4 or 5 floors each) would be "the place to be" in a small office market.

or 2 buildings of 16 stories?

It really depends on the nature of the buildings (professional could be doctor's offices). Anderson might be too small to have the need for that type of density out on Beltline. You could also argue for redeveloping existing buildings downtown rather than build something new. We could really speculate for some time on this. Thoughts?

Why is Beltline called that when it is nothing like a beltline? It doesnt even come close really. Just curious.

Having grown up in Anderson I feel like I should know why Beltline is called that but I don't. Anyone know?

I was suggesting 4 or 5 buildings at 4 or 5 floors because (although I don't know too much about construction costs) I assume that when you get real height (over 5 or six floors) you really do increase the cost significantly. But I'm open to being corrected? 4 or 5 floors in Anderson would really stand out. They'd be the tallest buildings in that area and so would be easily recognizable.

I think they'd benefit from a psychological effect too. They would be perceived as prestigious because they would be the tallest. That would especially be the case if the design went for more of an "office building" look rather than the homey look of the pictures.

Of course I would love to see that kind of stuff downtown (or infill anywhere along Clemson Blvd) - but I think a little more momentum would need to happen downtown before those kinds of office/professional tenants would want to be there. The shopping, eating and entertainment is all closer to Beltline.

That's my very unprofessional two cents.

I hope the Calhoun condos are pretty competitive to get in on. It'll be interesting to see how the auction goes.

In other news - Powdersville is getting a 43 acre recreation complex complete with soccer fields and baseball diamonds. Located off Old Anderson Road (is that HWY 81?). Here's the Newspaper Article

Old Anderson Road was SC 81 before it relocated southeastward decades ago. The old bridge over the Saluda River may be rehablilitated into a pedestrian bridge and hopefully some fishing access. The recreation complex and recycling center will be a great addition to the Powdersville area.

Speaking of SC 81, it can really use widening to four lanes from SC 153 to just before Carolina High School & Academy.