Anderson Developments

JT Boy

I'm new here, but thought I'd share a little Anderson info.

There was an article yesterday in the Independent Mail newspaper about redevelopment of the Chi Hotel downtown. This would be a major development. The hotel which sits across the street from the Court House and is on Main Street has been functionally vacant for more than 25 years. I suspect this proposal is serious as the politicians got the bankers to a meeting to talk financing.

There was an article on June 13 regarding the connector between Clemson Blvd and Hwy 81. It's a go. It seems the state has bailed the city out financially to keep the project on schedule for 2007. The article doesn't say anything about 2 or 4 lanes. Seems to me they should do it right the first time considering the development in that area.

There was an article yesterday in the Independent Mail newspaper about redevelopment of the Chi Hotel downtown. This would be a major development. The hotel which sits across the street from the Court House and is on Main Street has been functionally vacant for more than 25 years. I suspect this proposal is serious as the politicians got the bankers to a meeting to talk financing.

There was an article on June 13 regarding the connector between Clemson Blvd and Hwy 81. It's a go. It seems the state has bailed the city out financially to keep the project on schedule for 2007. The article doesn't say anything about 2 or 4 lanes. Seems to me they should do it right the first time considering the development in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wanted to show that hotel a while back but it was under contract. I hear they are going to do high end condos. It is a beautiful old building glad to hear something is going to be done with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum, interestedexpat! Thanks for keeping us up to date on those Anderson projects :)

I wanted to show that hotel a while back but it was under contract.  I hear they are going to do high end condos.  It is a beautiful old building glad to hear something is going to be done with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody got a pic of this place? Sounds great for Anderson. I haven't been to DT Anderson in a few years. I need to get by there again.

It has done a complete 180-degree turnaround from what it was 10 years ago. It has earned its place among the "All-American City" list. I think lots of work needs to be done to the southern end and western side of the city, but the change in downtown and toward the northeast is phenomenal. :thumbsup:

Great building.  A hotel would actually probably be better than Condos, at this stage of Anderson's redevelopment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm curious as to why a hotel would be better than condos.

I love the project. I think it would be great for downtown Anderson. But I struggle to figure out why someone would want to stay in a hotel in downtown Anderson. There really isn't too much going on there yet. It's not in the retail center. And there really isn't a business center yet. There are a few neat things: the Farmer's Market, the soon-to-be Arts Center and a great Library, but that wouldn't be enough to draw me into downtown from options closer to the commercial center.

I agree with others that downtown Anderson has made a lot of progress in recent years. I'd like to see someone put up one or two 5-10 story buildings in downtown Anderson with a mix of ground floor retail, maybe a couple of floors of offices and a few floors of condos. Small steps would really contribute to a vibrant feel.

Another thing Anderson needs (perhaps one is going in the shopping center being built near Clemson Blvd and I 85?) is a full service bookstore (Barns and Noble, Borders, something).

Another thing Anderson needs (perhaps one is going in the shopping center being built near Clemson Blvd and I 85?) is a full service bookstore (Barns and Noble, Borders, something).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does Books-a-Million count? There's one located on Clemson Boulevard adjacent to Office Depot and Circuit City. I can agree a full service bookstore with a music section is well needed for Anderson.

The Anderson newspaper reported that the city has contracted to demolish the old Belk's Building downtown. This is something that's been needed for a number of years and hopefully will make re-development of the property much more likely since any new owner/developer would have had to do that anyway.

The Independent News reported today that the owner of the Calhoun Senior Living downtown is planning at 6-7 million dollar renovation and turn the place into condos with first floor retail. His plans aren't definite yet - but residents are already being helped to find new places to live.

It seems like a number of exciting projects are 'almost' ready to go in downtown Anderson: a renovated 4 story hotel, a renovation of a 7 story building into condos, the demolition of an eye sore (Old Belks building) and rumor of a condo project there as well - all with retail on the floor, and a really good looking new arts center. That's more excitement than I've seen in years.

I've noticed that none of them involve office space. Is there any market for a new small office building in downtown Anderson? It could round out a very charming downtown as long as there were tenants to create life.

The Independent News reported today that the owner of the Calhoun Senior Living downtown is planning at 6-7 million dollar renovation and turn the place into condos with first floor retail. His plans aren't definite yet - but residents are already being helped to find new places to live.

It seems like a number of exciting projects are 'almost' ready to go in downtown Anderson: a renovated 4 story hotel, a renovation of a 7 story building into condos, the demolition of an eye sore (Old Belks building) and rumor of a condo project there as well - all with retail on the floor, and a really good looking new arts center. That's more excitement than I've seen in years. I've noticed that none of them involve office space. Is there any market for a new small office building in downtown Anderson? It could round out a very charming downtown as long as there were tenants to create life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read in an article not long ago, that original hopes/plans for the "old hotel" location included the possibility of a high-rise, which I assume meant lots of office space. I definitely see downtown Anderson needing some office footage in the near future. All the work being done to transform it into another Upstate treasure will inevitably attract businesses into its core area (the CBD). :)

I was in Anderson today to see how my friends restaurant, Jax New Orleans Bistro was coming along and to take pictures of the Orr-Lyons Mill so I decided to get yall pictures of The Calhoun while I was there. This is the building being turned into condos.

Calhoun1.jpg

Calhoun2.jpg

The new Hilton Garden Inn is at the Clemson Blvd / I-85 exchange. It's on the side going toward Anderson where Howard Johnson's used to be.

There is also a big condo project just getting started near there called Arcadia Point. Looks to be 4 or 5 floors on the water where the old Catherine's Kitchen waterslide once was.