Anderson Developments

JT Boy

There were some great articles/pictures today in the Anderson Independent regarding the new Arts Center Warehouse. I think it really looks great! Anderson Independent Mail

Today's paper also has some info about a couple of new housing communities recently approved. I mention it because new housing starts for this year in Anderson County are about 25% ahead of last year's pace. That's an encouraging sign of growth.

• 2 weeks later...

I read today that Barberitos is opening a restaurant in Anderson. It's a chain from Athens, GA offering mexican food and will be in the shopping center behind Ruby Tuesdays. They are also opening a location in Aiken and looking at Greenwood. I've never heard of it, but they say it's well known among U of G alumni.

Also in last week's Independent Mail Newspaper there was an article about two areas of land near Concord and 28 bypass where the Council seems in favor of allowing more dense housing. It sounded like two subdivisions were on the drawing boards.

Seems to me that more density is good news although the neighbors (as often is the case) seem distraught by the possibility.

Today's Anderson Paper has two interesting things of note:

(1) There is a new buyer for the Chiquola Hotel. They haven't named the person but it's under contract. The article said condos with first floor retail. Frankly that makes more sense to me than the hotel idea. But we'll see. I noticed they have kept the Calhoun Condo auction results pretty hush hush. Does that mean they didn't sell well?

(2) Michellin announced it's investing another 80 million dollars between two plants in Anderson. The Starr plant will get the bulk of the investment. But Sandy Springs is getting something too. Only a few jobs (26 I think).

I saw in the news today that the developer name was announced for the Chiquola Hotel. It's B&B Developing. They've done other projects in the upstate but nothing with historical preservation/restoration. Sounds like a neat project. They aren't naming the investors yet.

Funny - the mayor and a city councilman waxed eloquently about how this was a "better fit" than the deal that fell through last month. It's funny because I remember them praising the other folks too. I just hope when the investors are named, none of them are close relatives or friends of the council members. I still think the way the other deal fell through sounded fishy. Hopefully I'm just paranoid.

The Calhoun also announced that the auction sold 4 units (out of 41 available) mostly the higher priced ones on upper floors. They sounded pleased. I don't know that much about these things - but I was hoping for more.

4 out of 41 units is pretty disappointing. Most lenders will require 50% of the units be reserved before releasing funds. That also doesn't bode well for the Chiquola Hotel, if it is doing condos.

I think a hotel would be far superior to condos, given this stage of redevelopment in Anderson. A hotel would have constant turnover, all of it's occupants would be looking for dining options nightly, some for lunch too. Condo residents will do at least some of there cooking at home. Visitor's to a hotel will want to check out the area, especially if it is pleasant.

Don't get me wrong, permanent residents are needed too, but a mix of both is ideal. Greenville certainly started with hotels before permanant residents.

I, too, worry that the lack of sales in the Calhoun doesn't bode well for the Chiquola. However, I'm not the one doing the market research. I'm assuming people who are investing money in these things are doing that. Let's hope so.

I do see potential. If I were investing - I think I would have started out with a smaller project. A building with 10 or so units rather than 40+ in one and 20+ in the other. I guess the size and the history of the two buildings under consideration are irresistable.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see a small, nice hotel downtown. 5 or 6 floors with 20 or 30 rooms, meeting space and a little retail. Maybe on the old Belks site. I think it would do well and really add to the downtown amenities as long as it was niched properly. I'm not sure what that niche would be. I remember when the Hyatt in Greenville was new. It filled a great niche, and that was before downtown was cool. It worked very well. And I'm sure helped convince business to locate downtown. Having a nice facility like that makes it much more attractive.

Why not apartments then?

That's a great idea actually. They could rent it as apartments for 5 years, then convert to condos. Finanacing would be easier and there are some tax incentives too. In 5 years the downtown area would be further along, and the units would bring higher prices.

There is a building in DT Gville directly across from the Hyatt that has apartments. This was one of the first projects done there.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiquola Article in the Independent News

Okay - news is the Chiquola hotel is about to get a face lift. Renderings look great, financing is in place and the developers are scheduled to close on the property Dec. 15.

I'm still a little nervous about condos and whether there is a market. These seem to be more upscale than the Calhoun offering, but my nerves stem from the underwhelming sales at the Calhoun auction. They are also talking about a nice restaurant, a few stores and (lord help us) a Starbucks!

They are talking about beginning construction in February 2006 and finishing by the summer of 2007. That would be great for Anderson.

It also sounds like these two developers have other plans for downtown Anderson if this one goes well.

This is great news for Anderson. I think this issue is deefinately worthy of its own thread and fortunately BoDragon has been kind enough to start one. So from now on lets talk about any developments with Chiquola there:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18838

Edited by Spartan

The GSA Business Journal has an interesting article about condo sales in Anderson. It highlights two big projects near Lake Hartwell. The Overlook apparently sold out the phase I (147 units) so quickly that they upped the price for phase II by 15%. On the other hand, Arcadia Pointe is delayed for redesign. Does that mean it didn't sell well or was selling too well so they are making it bigger?

At any rate, I guess the lesson Overlook teaches is there is an underserved Condo market in Anderson if consumers get what they want. Article here

Edited by interestedexpat

• 4 weeks later...

There's another condo complex that's supposed to get built behind the Charlie T's near Exit 19. They've got a sign up -- Watermarke. Anybody know anything about that?

:)

Welcome aboard, SunnyRain.

I'm not yet aware of it. I would not be surprised to see more residential complexes going up around Clemson Boulevard's lake area.

• 2 weeks later...

Food Lion introduces new shopping experience in the Upstate

Anderson Independent-Mail (SC)

Anderson is about to get a new supermarket of firsts. Food Lion will open its first Anderson store at the northeast corner of SC-81 and Hopewell Road. This will be a Bloom store, Food Lion's take on a supermarket using an assortment of various technology and extensive customer research.

• 2 weeks later...

Little disappointing news. Atlanta Bread Company closed in Anderson. The interesting thing is the franchise owner blamed it on the local business (Anderson) climate. Apparently - business was brisk, but taxes, local regulations and temporary sign restrictions drove them out. That's a bummer.