Anderson Developments

JT Boy

This is indeed sad news. Atlanta Bread Company already left the Spartanburg Market over a year ago, I assume for the same reason. You'd think people in these two cities would have been able to support them, but sometimes we are fooled. I think if they would locate next to the AnMed Health Campus on highway 81, they would remain strong.

the olny atlanta bread locations in spartanburg that I knew about was the one in the mall and the one way out at exit 63. I think that if they had a location somewhere near westgate mall, not in it, or if they had one in the hillcrest area that they would have had a lot of business.

the olny atlanta bread locations in spartanburg that I knew about was the one in the mall and the one way out at exit 63. I think that if they had a location somewhere near westgate mall, not in it, or if they had one in the hillcrest area that they would have had a lot of business.

Exactly. That location in the mall was horrible, because you wouldn't go to the mall just for that restaurant. I agree that if they had a location downtown or in Hillcrest they could have easily survived. I actually did enjoy that place, but I rarely go to the mall, so it wasn't an option.

In Greenville, I can think of four Atlanta Bread Company locations that do very well.

• Main Street at North Street
  • North Pleasantburg Drive at Cherrydale
  • Woodruff Road at Greenville Mall/Hollywood 20
  • Pelham Road near Thornblade

I'm not sure if there is another location in Haywood Mall, but these are the ones I can think of right now. You'd think the business climate in certain areas around Spartanburg and Anderson would be nearly as strong as these in Greenville. I know they can't compete in volume, but there are plenty of people there.

It would be interesting to know exactly what ABC looks for when deciding to locate a new store. Did they honestly think business would boom in a separate lot along 290 in Duncan? That place was only open a year at most (it seemed less to me at least). If they had located next to Publix down at the Reidville Road intersection, I'll bet they'd still be open for business today. :huh:

NewSpring Community Church which has been meeting at Anderson University will open it's new worship center on Hwy 81 this Sunday. It might not sound like development news - but the worship auditorium seats 2500. Last weekend at Anderson University they had almost 5000 people through four services. They are expecting 7000 this weekend. The parking lot holds 1300 cars.

NewSpring Community Church which has been meeting at Anderson University will open it's new worship center on Hwy 81 this Sunday. It might not sound like development news - but the worship auditorium seats 2500. Last weekend at Anderson University they had almost 5000 people through four services. They are expecting 7000 this weekend. The parking lot holds 1300 cars.

That will be the biggest auditorium in Anderson County I hear.

Not to get off the subject, but we have many large-to-mega churches in the Upstate and I wonder what some of the membership numbers are for the largest? I know Greenville has the third largest Presbyterian Church in the nation (or is it the World?) with over 6000 members. Rock Springs Baptist Church in Easley is HUGE in every sense of the word, as is First Baptist in Greenville, Fairview Baptist in Greer, First Baptist in Spartanburg, and Taylors First Baptist. Prince of Peace Catholic Cathedral is also quite a large place. There are many others, but I just thought it was interesting the number of big churches we've got all over the Upstate.

Okay, back to Anderson Updates. :lol:

The Walgreen Distribution Center is quite large and no where near completion. They have at least another 6 months or more to go.

There are some beautiful condos going up near 85 by Trehel construction that are nearly finished and being landscaped now.

The Hilton is still being built in the rear area and coming along nicely.

There is a Fatz Cafe across the interstate on the Clemson side being built by Abbott, just put in the footers last week (rain slowed this one down a bit)

There is also a Food lion and shops being built on hwy81 going toward Anderson on the left.

The Hospital is undergoing changes by MJ Harris and Rock City Mech.- should be finished in a few weeks...

Even more growth in the Clemson/Easley areas:

A new Hampton Inn at 123/153 which is under pressure to get caught up, it would seem the electrician has slowed things a bit....

Plenty going on in the upstate...

I forget why I was driving out there, but I drove by the site and I could not fathom what this large metal frame was (it was just a frame at that point). I knew Walgreens was bulding out there somewhere, but it took me several days before it clicked. I just never imagined that it would be so large. But after thinking about it, Dollar General and Disney in Union are no different.

Walgreens Distribution: I last drove by there last summer. Awesome site. Only the grading had been done, but you could tell it was going to be huge. I'm looking forward to seeing it again this summer.

Does anyone know how many people are going to be employed there? Will there be a sizeable "white collar" contingent? I did read that a portion of the facility will be office space.

I forget why I was driving out there, but I drove by the site and I could not fathom what this large metal frame was (it was just a frame at that point). I knew Walgreens was bulding out there somewhere, but it took me several days before it clicked. I just never imagined that it would be so large. But after thinking about it, Dollar General and Disney in Union are no different.

This facility is larger than either of those, from what I recall.