Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Two items of interest from today's Independent Mail. Apparently the mayor's race is heating up and a key issue is Downtown development. Two challengers are making noise about wanting to push downtown development more.

The other article is about the Walgreen's Distribution Center. According to the article, about 500 jobs are being created there. The point of interest is that about 200 of them are pledged for persons with disabilities. The whole center is being built with that in mind. It's one of Walgreen's social priorities apparently.

Interesting stuff.

This facility is larger than either of those, from what I recall.

It is. By far.

I think its great that Anderson's politics are becoming focued on downtown. Anderson has a really cool downtown with gobs of potiential. Many historic buildings are still around. Those two projects (Chiqola and that tower that was the old folks home) seem to be pushing forward, which is also a good sign.

Two items of interest from today's Independent Mail. Apparently the mayor's race is heating up and a key issue is Downtown development. Two challengers are making noise about wanting to push downtown development more.

The other article is about the Walgreen's Distribution Center. According to the article, about 500 jobs are being created there. The point of interest is that about 200 of them are pledged for persons with disabilities. The whole center is being built with that in mind. It's one of Walgreen's social priorities apparently.

Interesting stuff.

I watched that on the news last night. They are definately leaning toward special needs workers and training for them has already begun. Quite impressive. Still much to be done on this site though... :yahoo:

Great notes from the Tuesday night Council meeting. Apparently one of the builders in Anderson (Jimmy Davis) is trying to buy and build on property next to 28 bypass and Whitehall. It's a key intersection in the city with good infrastructure which has seen good development in recent years and poised for much more. I think the property is 45 acres total. He wants to build (I might have the details wrong) 90 houses on 35 acres and then put offices on the other 10 acres.

The neighbors are going bonkers. They came out in force to get him turned down on a first reading claiming the ubiquitous "traffic". [insert rant here] Let's get real. Anderson doesn't have traffic except on major holidays and Clemson home game days. And even that's not really that bad. Certainly at 28 and Whitehall that's not a problem. I think the neighbors also said something about "not consistent with the character of the neighborhood. Give me a break. [end rant]

What is great is that Jimmy Davis called them out on it. He said something to the effect of, "these people aren't concerned about traffic, neighborhood character, etc... they just want that wheat field to stay a wheat field forever."

Apparently the poor land owner also went to the meeting and complained that she and her family can't seem to sell the land with it's current zoning and can't handle the farm anymore. To the council's credit (IMO), they approved the rezoning request. I think it requires three readings.

Is it just me or does Anderson seem to struggle with "rural" identity more than G'ville and Spartanburg? How much really good development goes undone because people don't want to fight? I might be wrong on this - but I seem to remember BMW being very interested in property in Pendleton until neighbors made it clear they would not be welcome.

It does struggle with that. I read about this in the paper, but I forgot to post about it. This project is right around 3 units/ acre, which is not much at all. The old neighborhoods in Anderson are atleast that much if not more. The benefits of this project for that part of anderson outway the costs, IMO. There won't be that much of a traffic increase- not to mention that traffic is not that bad to start with.

Marble Slab Creamery headed to Clemson Boulevard

Anderson Independent-Mail, March 6, 2006

Article Here

Can't ever get enough ice-cream.

There were a couple of other articles of interest in the Independent Mail today.

News of a new business opening on 81N. Commercial development seems to be moving along at a pretty good pace along this corridor. It'll be fun for me to drive through this summer and take a look.

Also news of how the county is thinking in terms of road improvement construction. There is new tax money available. The interesting part (to me) was discussion of widening Whitehall Road from 28 to Centreville Road.

Also news of how the county is thinking in terms of road improvement construction. There is new tax money available. The interesting part (to me) was discussion of widening Whitehall Road from 28 to Centreville Road.

Whitehall Road should be widened to four lanes farther out to SC-24. It will ease some traffic congestion from those lakefront communties to Anderson Mall.

Whitehall Road should be widened to four lanes farther out to SC-24. It will ease some traffic congestion from those lakefront communties to Anderson Mall.

I completely agree.

Also in today's Anderson Independent...

...an article about the Anderon housing market bucking the national trend. It's continuing to heat up.

...and for all you burger lovers, Five Guys is opening an Anderson location. Having lived in Alexandria, VA, I can say, Five Guys is a great addition to the local burger market.

I completely agree.

Also in today's Anderson Independent...

...an article about the Anderon housing market bucking the national trend. It's continuing to heat up.

...and for all you burger lovers, Five Guys is opening an Anderson location. Having lived in Alexandria, VA, I can say, Five Guys is a great addition to the local burger market.

Did it say the location of the new Five Guys? I love their burgers! :thumbsup::thumbsup: This will be the second or third in the Upstate.

Edited by gsupstate

Yeah. Five Guys will be in the old shopping center next to Applebees on Clemson blvd. I forget the name of the shopping center. In the place a Mexican restaurant has been, Ixtapa is the name (I think I've misspelled it, but it's something like that).

The article said it was the second in the upstate. Sounded like they plan to continue to expand.

Edited by interestedexpat

I doesn't sound like too much but a German company (I can't remember the name) just bought a 10,000 foot warehouse on 29 near Williamston. They manufacture industrial belts. It only means six jobs for now. But it will be their southeast hub and might mean expansion as their southern US business is expanding.

There was also an article in the Independent Mail today about ICAR moving along much faster than anyone expected.

The Independent Mail has been writing a lot about the Mayoral election coming up in Anderson. I love the focus of all the candidates on the downtown area. Who would be best from a downtown development perspective?

Mayoral candidates eye economic growth

March 11, 2006

Article Here

Edited by interestedexpat

Really exciting news about downtown Anderson in the Independent Mail today. I'm going to link this article for a story on the Chiquola Condos too, but there was general development news too.

Independent Mail

March 18

Article Here

The city is doing a needs assessment and in a couple of months will be recruiting developers for the Belks site. There was a hint of condo development. What was interesting is the downtown manager was saying she wasn't sure that was best for the site. Are things heating up enough to be choosey? That would be awesome.

Local merchants are dying for more retail downtown. I can see that, but I think the biggest impact would be corporate offices (a 5 or 6 floors with 50 employees would have a major impact), small hotel (5 or 6 floors with 100 rooms), retail/restaurants, and a mid-range rent apartment building (5-8 floors with 20 units)... in that order.

Some of ya'll on this board have much more experience/knowledge in the area of urban (re)development. What do you think?

I agree that roughly 5-6 floors would be the common way to grow, but I'd personally love to see a new 15-20 story mixed-use highrise with intricately detailed architectural design on Main Street. A new headquarters would work wonders for downtown and take it from the small town feel to a more urban one. As long as Anderson focuses on adding new residential downtown, great things will develop. :shades:

Where is the old Belks, exactly? i am having trouble picturing it.

You are exactly right. At this point, a development like that in Anderson would be huge. skyscrapers do not always make the best downtowns (thats not to say that they don't add a lot to them). Just imagine what it would be like if Anderson had 3 or 4 Chiquolas.

I may have said this before, but Anderson's advantage is that it has so many great historic buildings still left. It seems that the urban renewal era mostly skipped over Anders, which truely benefits it now. Even side streets like McDuffie have lots of cool things that could be going on, and I think they will at some point.

I think that someone should reinvest in that old Motor Lodge on Orr(?) St. They sould improve that lot, or just raze it and start over witha new hotel.

Also, they need to encourage people to stay open later. Everything shuts down at 5 except for a handful of places- half of which are higher priced dining options.

If I had a choice between one 15-20 floor building or two 7-10s I'd take the two 7-10s strategically placed. I just think the bigger tower would look out of place at the moment. I agree though - a headquarters building would really do amazing things for Anderson downtown.

The old Belks building was between off McDuffie Street (b/t Main and McDuffie) right around the Whitner Street intersection. This is just off the "square". It would be a very strategic location for a 7-10 floor project in terms of creating an urban feel to the core of downtown. It would also be good in terms of synergy. The Theater is right there in the mix.

I agree about the motor lodge on Orr St. There is also a small motel a little further down one block past Greenville Street.

Let's say that something in the 7-10 floor range develops on the Belk property. Something visible. AND something visible was to happen at Orr St (tear down and build a new hotel in place of the Motor Lodge). That would move Anderson light years ahead of where it is today in terms of urban feel. It would sort of connect Main Street with the library with the Hospital building a few blocks away. Then I would be ready to see a 15-20 floor tower.

In the most recent Greenville Journal their is an ad for a 8 Story Condo project to be built on Lake Hartwell in Anderson by Tom Winkopp. No information yet about it on his site. Here is a scan of the ad with a rendering.

WaterMarke.jpg

Edited by btoy