Anderson Developments

JT Boy

That WaterMarke is a fabulous development! We heard something about this awhile back, but I never saw a rendering and I lost the details I had before.

I wonder if they have concret plans or if this is just fishing for interest?

In other news...

The Independent News reported that Orian Rugs is looking to expand again.

This is becoming a pretty big operation. The article said they have over 500,000 sq ft now and are looking to purchase another 9 acres. This is on Hwy 81 about 2 miles from I-85 toward Anderson.

The new mini city hall will house several departments that are now scattered throughout the City. This includes the utilities division, business license, tax, planning, building codes, and community development. The project was just let for design and is supposed to be completed in approximately 18 months. It will be located just south of City Hall on the southeast corner of the Main/River intersection.

The new mini city hall will house several departments that are now scattered throughout the City. This includes the utilities division, business license, tax, planning, building codes, and community development. The project was just let for design and is supposed to be completed in approximately 18 months. It will be located just south of City Hall on the southeast corner of the Main/River intersection.

Thanks for the info "city planner" and welcome to UrbanPlanet. Hope to hear more from you in the future. There are only a few of us who contribute to the Anderson news.

Do they have a rendering yet of what this building might look like? Will it be multi-story? :whistling:

News out of Anderson Council meeting March 21 was good for development. The Council approved a subdivision off of Whitehall and Hwy 28 that had been under fire from neighbors. I went back to link the article and couldn't find it. The area in question is probably less than two miles from Anderson Mall - hardly an area that anyone can expect to stay rural. I loved one of the quotes in the story. One of the neighbors opposing the development said, "would you want to have 90 homes built right next to yours?" My answer is "yes". If it's a good development, it's raise property values and increase area service and shopping options. And I like people!

Anyway the Council also approved Rivendell as a planned community off of Midway road and the Orian Rugs rezoning request for their expansion.

But the big news (sad news) out of Anderson is the local politics has gone nasty. I don't know all the details or the players involved but from reading the Independent Mail, it looks like the anti-development folks have decided to try intimidation as a primary tactic. SLED has been called in to investigate harrassment issues. See article here. :shok:

Edited by interestedexpat

Yeah, the small pool. :rofl: Also, is it just me or does the whole building look a little twisted? :shok:

From what I can tell about where this is going, it won't be visible from 85, but it will be from Clemson Blvd crossing the lake going toward 85. Is that right? Sweet.

Also: is this going to be a new tallest for Anderson?

The Anderson City Council approved plans last night to install live security cameras throughout the downtown business district. The great part is each camera (I think there are six) will also be a wireless Internet relay. So Anderson just voted to blanket downtown with wireless. A great step forward IMO.

Yeah, the small pool. :rofl: Also, is it just me or does the whole building look a little twisted? :shok:

From what I can tell about where this is going, it won't be visible from 85, but it will be from Clemson Blvd crossing the lake going toward 85. Is that right? Sweet.

Also: is this going to be a new tallest for Anderson?

I think the Calhoun building downtown might still be taller. The scan probbaly makes the building look twisted.... somehow I doubt they would construct it that way :)

There was an interesting note in the Independent Mail's reporting on last night's County Council meeting. It said, "the Anderson County Council also agreed to start soliciting requests for economic development along Hartwell Lake."

I'm not sure exactly what this means. Does this mean they are starting to focus attention on development around the lake? Does it mean that they have a bunch of property that they are now ready to sell to a good project?

Anyway I found it interesting. I think the lake could be Anderson's niche in the upstate development.

There was an interesting note in the Independent Mail's reporting on last night's County Council meeting. It said, "the Anderson County Council also agreed to start soliciting requests for economic development along Hartwell Lake."

I'm not sure exactly what this means. Does this mean they are starting to focus attention on development around the lake? Does it mean that they have a bunch of property that they are now ready to sell to a good project?

Anyway I found it interesting. I think the lake could be Anderson's niche in the upstate development.

They will probably be looking at developing Lake Hartwell similar to Lake Keowee in Pickens County.

No one mentioned the great "news" from yesterday.

Anderson was recently awarded a future State Veterans Cemetery and memorial gardens. This will be the only one of its kind in the state and will be a tribute to the many local and statewide veterans who have bravely served the United States of America.

Recent release from Senator Jim DeMint's office

Agreed. Although they could also take Oconee's approach with those condo towers...

I think that condo development that could along Lake Keowee with four 12 story buildings is the worst idea ever. :sick: If they want to build something like that, build it somewhere like in Downtown Greenville, not on a lake with forests surrounding it. I am glad Oconee County is delaying this project from moving forward. Even residents are upset about this. Wow, this sure will make the nice forest around the lake look great. Another Myrtle Beach on the way; hopefully not.

Edited by g-man430

I don't know too much about the lake Keowee proposals other than it was clear that residents didn't want it. I think Anderson (particularly around exit 19 and 21) is in a little different situation though.

I can envision a designated area(s) of high density lake development. Perhaps the two new condo developments around exit 19 are the start. Buildings could be clustered perhaps with a beach and small marina, and walkable retail (It's a shame all the retail has located away from the lakeside of the exit. I wouldn't want it right on the lake, but it would create a great walkable cluster if it were close to big condo units.).

Four 12 story condo in addition to what's being built now, with well planned, walkable shopping nearby. I think that would be much better than what will happen if the area continues with low density development like fastfood chains and motels.

(A little off topic) I can't believe no one has built a 5-10 floor hotel with a lake view. I seems like a no brainer.

Even if there was demand, I think it would be a mistake to spread high-density development over the entire lake front. Actually, I'd hate to see any development (even single family housing) spread over the entire lake front. One or two clusters of condo highrises around exit 19 and maybe 21 might actually save some of the other areas from development.

Anderson could create a couple new large parks on the lake with first class amenities, perhaps paid for with a "lake development tax" or something.

This would benefit the whole area and could greatly contribute to quality of life in addition to guaranteeing some untarnished shoreline.

Great post, interestedexpat. I agree completely with your vision for Lake Hartwell in Anderson. I see the lake eventually looking similar to Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte. I would love to see highrises included in the plan as well. :thumbsup:

As for the Oconee County plan; I rather like it and think it would be a positive for that area. The main concern would be access by road, but that should be somewhat easy to work around.

Another interesting thing to note in regards to the Upstate lakes as a tourist destination: There was an article over a year ago which showed how many people visit these lakes each year. The number was astounding - somewhere over 4 million. :shades:

I agree that the towers on Keowee are a horrible idea. But that is what happens when you have no zoning and rich Atlantans that don't want to maintain property.

I got a copy of the Anderson Journal last week. There are some exciting things going on down there, including its first parking garage. I will post more on that later :)

Ok, so how about Anderson....

There is just not that much going on down there. Usually. They are laying the groundwork though. The front page aritcle of the Anderson Journal highlights that the city has started several important projects that will make its future even brighter:

• a $13,000 market study has been launched
  • a $2.5 million parking garage on Whitner St
  • new city government offices on S Main

The developer of Chiquola has had talks with many national food chains such as McDonalds, Subway, Starbucks, and Port City java.

The article compares Anderson's accomplishments and future goals to Concornd, NC (which is a very similar comparison). And to Spartanburg- noting that both Spartanburg and Anderson got a Wild Wings last year, but the Spartaburg's is downtown, whil Anderson's is out by the interstate. Anderson still has some work to do, but it seems to me that downtown has a bright future.