RIPTA's Annual Financial Crisis

Cotuit

PROJO: "RIPTA still counts on state rescue"

http://www.projo.com/news/content/ripta_bo...v5.3827d9c.html

You know what frustrates me about this to no end? We had a ballot question this year to cash in on bonds to help pay for two things: highways and bridges and public transportation. I believe the numbers were:

$80 million in total

$6 million for RIPTA

$74 million for highways and bridges.

So, RIPTA absolutely needs this money to stay afloat. But to get it, we have to give over 90% to the roads. For 50 years, highways have been given the majority of federal, public money while public transportation has taken a back seat. Now that we're smartening up and realizing the errors of our ways, the numbers should be reversed - ie 90% of money to fund public transit. Put tolls on all interstate highways for one thing.

Frustrating and I felt my hand was forced on this one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^In theory I absolutely agree with you, except that Rhode Island's existing roads and bridges are deteriorating to near third-world condition. None of the bond money should go to new roads, but it will take far more than $74 million to restore the ones we have to the point they aren't a detriment to our overall economy.

RIPTA absolutely needs more money, and its entire financial structure needs to be revamped. However, well-maintained roads are critical to the overall health of any region, for a number of reasons. This is an investment RI has deferred for far too long, with results that should be obvious to all of us. I reluctantly supported this ballot question because, despite the high cost, it is money we need to spend. I would have felt the same even if it included no money for RIPTA. Public transportation shouldn't have to compete with public roadways for funding. We need both.

^In theory I absolutely agree with you, except that Rhode Island's existing roads and bridges are deteriorating to near third-world condition. None of the bond money should go to new roads, but it will take far more than $74 million to restore the ones we have to the point they aren't a detriment to our overall economy.

RIPTA absolutely needs more money, and its entire financial structure needs to be revamped. However, well-maintained roads are critical to the overall health of any region, for a number of reasons. This is an investment RI has deferred for far too long, with results that should be obvious to all of us. I reluctantly supported this ballot question because, despite the high cost, it is money we need to spend. I would have felt the same even if it included no money for RIPTA. Public transportation shouldn't have to compete with public roadways for funding. We need both.

Just to add on to this... RIPTA needs well maintained roads and bridges. After all, it is a bus and does use them. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived