Plantation Market Eckerd closing by 12/05

Apparently, the sign showing CVS as the only tenant across the street from Plantation Market on Weddington Rd. suggests that the Eckerd in the HT shopping center will close sometime soon. Since CVS/Eckerd are now owned by the same parent company, it wouldn't make since for them to keep that Eckerd open, when they will have a new freestanding CVS across the street. The Harris Teeter in that plaza does well, but I could actually see them building a bigger more modernized Harris Teeter in the open field across the street, and vacating (but still paying rent)

on the Plantation Market location. The only other businesses that make money in that plaza are the Mario's Pizza and the newly opened Benny's.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. When's the CVS supposed to open? I heard a *rumor* that they'd expand the project across McKee Road to possibly include a Lowe's Foods.

Speaking of CVS/Eckerd, at the Corner of Ballantyne/Mckee and Providence there's a CVS in the Promenade and an Eckerd across the street in Providence Commons.

They're not owned by the same company. A Canadian company, Jean Coutu-Brooks, bought the stores from GA and TN up to Maine. Those stores will remain Eckerd. CVS bought the ones in FL and from AL to TX those are changing to CVS. Since the stores yall talking about are owned by separate companies they can both stay open.

They're not owned by the same company.  A Canadian company, Jean Coutu-Brooks, bought the stores from GA and TN up to Maine.  Those stores will remain Eckerd.  CVS bought the ones in FL and from AL to TX those are changing to CVS.  Since the stores yall talking about are owned by separate companies they can both stay open.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok whatever, but the Harris Teeter still might move, that location is too smal for it's business

Do you really think so? Where did you find out the information about the Piper Glen Harris Teeter closing? I'd like to know, thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i work in retail, and when the vendors remove all their product from the store you can usually tell something is up. the piper glen Harris Teeters sales floor was being vacated by the vendors all the way back in January. Right after Christmas, I think they were pretty sure they were going to close it. From what I have heard the tentative date is still March 30 or so. Don't expect any big clearance sales though. Harris Teeter never lowers their prices, even when they are closing a store. They probably just transfer the old merchandise to the new stores without people knowing. This way they don't lose profit. This was the case with the old Providence Square store on International Drive off Providence Rd. and with the Independence Boulevard store. From what I remember there were protests from small groups of residents during the closing of the Providence Square store, and the VP of HT walked right by them without comment, and then later making politically correct comments to appease them. Same thing happened to a lesser extent at the Independence Boulevard store. There are low income housing developments behind that store, and these people ( a lot of whom worked there) now had to drive 5 more miles to shop and if they worked there they had to commute to another HT. This is why I sometimes get upset by HT saying they are falsely working for the good of the community when in reality they are just working for the $75,000+ income bracket. So next time HT closes a store you can almost guess where it will be; The store at Eastland Mall, The store in Monroe, Sardis/Monroe Rd. Store, and maybe the Gastonia store. The only Harris Teeters on the west side of town are basically the one near Lake Wylie and the one near Mt. Holly. So, I do feel for the minority and lower income bracket in those cases because HT completely blew them off. Getting back to the Piper Glen Harris Teeter, this will not become another grocery store because there is already too much saturation of grocery stores in this area, plus there was a Food Lion at one time across Elm St. in the Touchstone community where Tuesday Morning stands now, and they didn't do very well. It would be a great location for a Dollar General or something of that sort though.

thanks for the reply. You did make some good points in there, and certainly it won't be surprising to see some of those stores close down.

By the way, I checked the tax website, and both the Plantation Market and Piper Glen Harris Teeters were opened in 1990. That's when the old Harris Teeter in the arboretum opened too, but then in 97 it moved to its bigger location in the expanstion of the Arboretum.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's 1/06 and Eckerd is still open...

Give it until the summer...they've just started clearing out the land across the street and whenever that CVS is built and opened, the Eckerd will close. Someone actually told me that they spoke with someone inside that Eckerd and the EMPLOYEE said that it IS owned by the same people as the CVS, so whoever the person on this forum was that said they aren't, better check their facts! More evidence to support this is that the CVS near Idlewild and 51 in Mint Hill is open and sort of nailed the coffin in the Eckerd next to the Mint Hill HT. And that is closed now. I may have been a bit off on the date, but the Eckerd at Plantation Market probably wont be there in 2007, and there will be a CVS across the street.

• 2 weeks later...

It's 1/06 and Eckerd is still open...

This story is still circulating in many forms...sorry to misinform you and to straighten out some of the facts I was unaware of, it seems that Eckerd was going to close the Plantation location not because of the CVS across the street, but because they were planning to build an outparcel Eckerd with a drive thru perscription window. Unfortunately the Bank Of Granite has now acquired that outparcel site to the left side of the Mckee Road entrance to Plantation Market. So, Eckerd may now be forced to stick with their current location (albeit outdated), or choose a location somewhere else in that area. That may prove hard to do since all the outparcels in PLantation Market are now full...i.e. Bank Of America, ABC store, and the BP station. So apparently to sum things up, the closing of this Eckerd was apparently an erroneous story and a misunderstanding. But it will be interesting to see how their business does once the CVS opens up across the street.

I plan on going to that "outdated" Eckerd tomorrow, just for the hell of it now. hehe :)

I think there are only a few like that left. That one, the Park Rd. location, and the one at Strawberry Hill off of Providence Rd. There are probably other "outdated" ones, but I know most are stand alone outparcels these days (or at the very least offer drive thru perscription service.)

Someone actually told me that they spoke with someone inside that Eckerd and the EMPLOYEE said that it IS owned by the same people as the CVS, so whoever the person on this forum was that said they aren't, better check their facts!

I'm the one who said they aren't owned by the same company (they aren't) and current circumstances dictate that I'm also an Eckerd employee.

When JC Penney sold the company, CVS bought the stores in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, and Alabama. CVS is converting those Eckerd stores to CVS.

The Jean Coutu company of Canada (who also owns Brooks Pharmacy in the New England area) bought the Eckerd stores in Georgia, Tennesee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut. Those stores are still named Eckerd (Though everyday it seems more likely that we're changing to Brooks) and are completely separate from CVS.

Facts:

Jean Coutu/Brooks

http://www.brooks-rx.com/ppt/eckerdinvesto...m#slide0148.htm

CVS

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...0532&highlight=

I'm the one who said they aren't owned by the same company (they aren't) and current circumstances dictate that I'm also an Eckerd employee.

When JC Penney sold the company, CVS bought the stores in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, and Alabama. CVS is converting those Eckerd stores to CVS.

The Jean Coutu company of Canada (who also owns Brooks Pharmacy in the New England area) bought the Eckerd stores in Georgia, Tennesee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut. Those stores are still named Eckerd (Though everyday it seems more likely that we're changing to Brooks) and are completely separate from CVS.

Facts:

Jean Coutu/Brooks

http://www.brooks-rx.com/ppt/eckerdinvesto...m#slide0148.htm

CVS

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...0532&highlight=

the story was corrected...apparently they weren't going to move totally, just to an outparcel

Archived