Mass Transit in KC

thewack

What is the mass transit situation like in the KC metro area? I assume there is a regional bus system, but is there any sort of light rail system? Any commuter rail? Is it possible to get to Royals games on mass transit easily in the metro area?

If there is no light rail.subway, are there any proposals for a light rail/subway system, or other transit expansion?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to mass transit - There are metro buses (though not hydrogen gas or some other environmentally friendly fuel) that have routes through the metroplex. KC, as other cities, has had budget issues and it seems as though bus routes and service is always on the chopping block. There was a 1/8 sales tax passed about 18 months ago to preserve and prop up the bus system, so it is more stable than in past years.

Light rail - Not here, not likely to become reality any time soon. This is a topic which is a sore point for many around here. While no politico-type has ever really pushed light rail, there has been an activist who has managed to get it on the ballet four (maybe five) times. Each time is has been defeated. By the last few times it appeared I think it got defeated because of who pushed it, not what the measure was for. I believe if it came from someone else it might have passed by now.

Unfortunately, none of the measures had the support of city council, and they've never really proposed their own solution. The lack of light rail, or a vision for it, is one of the major detraction for the KC area currently IMO.

Let me know if you're interested in more...

Hey Wack - Forgot to answer the most important part of your question. Yes, there is mass transit to the Royals/Chiefs games, but it's kinda quirky. There are buses which run special game-day routes to the stadiums, but you obviously have to get to their departure points. I know they leave from the Union Station/Crown Center area, and a couple of area malls. The buses have priority when approaching the stadium area and save you the $9 parking fee. (They raised it from $7 last year. Terrible!) 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

What is the mass transit situation like in the KC metro area?  I assume there is a regional bus system, but is there any sort of light rail system?  Any commuter rail?  Is it possible to get to Royals games on mass transit easily in the metro area?

If there is no light rail.subway, are there any proposals for a light rail/subway system, or other transit expansion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no rail transit in Kansas City and attempts to build a light rail line in the City's excellent Country Club line corridor have been repeatedly thwarted by politics and other petty concerns. Now a Bus Rapid Transit line called MAX is about to be implemented in the CC corridor on streets next to a the former (mostly available) alignment of the former Country Club trolley. What a pity! Mark my words: if the MAX line reduces running time on the present bus Route 56 between downtown and Waldo by more than 10 minutes, I'll be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that the MAX Bus Rapid Transit route, which opens in Kansas City in July, will make the trip from Waldo to 12th and Walnut in 27 minutes. The present Route 56 Express, which uses Southwest Trafficway, makes the same trip in 28 minutes.

Of course, when you ride the Route 56 Express you cannot make use of those way cool bus shelters that MAX will offer nor will you be able to experience the thrill of whooshing through extended green lights made possible by bus operator activated signal preemption technology.

The MAX system reportedly is costing $21 million. This to save one minute of travel time. Oh, I forgot. There are also those "nifty" shelters.

Hmmm!

Ugh! Boston's "Silver Lie" multiplies. :sick:

The MBTA in Boston refused to build light rail down Washington Street in the South End and Roxbury neighborhoods of that city and tried to pass of the Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit as the best thing to happen to Boston since sliced bread. They claimed it would travel in its own lanes, be able to hold green lights longer, have faster boarding than ordinary buses and have comfortable, friendly passenger shelters. It has none of that and was a huge waste of money.

Now we're seeing KC do the same thing with this MAX line. I don't live in KC or know all that much about it, but Wolfgang's post makes it sound like the BRT route will be very much like Boston's. If so, then they will have flushed $21 Million down the toilet.

• 2 months later...

As far as BRT in Kansas City, you may remember that I made the following comment several months ago: "if the MAX line reduces running time on the present bus Route 56 between downtown and Waldo by more than 10 minutes, I'll be surprised." -_-

Now, the jury is in. The MAX, which I think starts operation on July 24, will make the trip from Waldo (74th Terrace and Broadway) to Downtown (12th and Walnut) in 31 minutes. The present Route 56 local makes the same trip in 35 minutes!!! Total travel time savings = 4 minutes. :(

It still may be worth noting that, according to published public timetables, the Route 56 express makes the trip today from Waldo to 12th and Walnut in 28 minutes, 3 minutes faster than the MAX. :)

As far as BRT in Kansas City, you may remember that I made the following comment several months ago:  "if the MAX line reduces running time on the present bus Route 56 between downtown and Waldo by more than 10 minutes, I'll be surprised." -_-

Now, the jury is in.  The MAX, which I think starts operation on July 24, will make the trip from Waldo (74th Terrace and Broadway) to Downtown (12th and Walnut) in 31 minutes.  The present Route 56 local makes the same trip in 35 minutes!!!  Total travel time savings = 4 minutes. :(

It still may be worth noting that, according to published public timetables, the Route 56 express makes the trip today from Waldo to 12th and Walnut in 28 minutes, 3 minutes faster than the MAX. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is too bad. It makes bus rapid transit look more like a boondoggle. It would have been good if the voters would have approved light rail.

MrCoffee

Archived