Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/1383937.html

New Liquor Law Changed by Amendment

Richmond

Updated: 10:53 PM Mar 19, 2005

Tim Saunders

The general assembly has passed legislation to keep liquor out of the hands of minors at private parties, but an amendment has actually reversed that restriction. The problem caught the attention of the bill's supporters, who want Governor Mark Warner to fix it. Current law allows people who hold parties in their own homes to serve booze to anyone, regardless of age. The Governor has through March 27 to veto, amend or sign the legislation.

Courtesy was from WHSV Harrisonburg

***edit: topic moved***

Edited by vdogg

Hi guys, just doing a little spring cleaning :) . This thread is for general talk about Virginia issues outside the Norfolk metro. If you have a topic not necessarily dealing with the urban theme, such as politics, entertainment, etc. Post it here. We'll try this for a while and see how it works. This is all just an effort to organize our fairly large and rapidly growing forum so it is easier to read and use.

LOL, i don't think you realize the storm you've just created. :D . This topic has been under continuous discussion and debate for some 30 years and has even spawned quite a few arguments at the city level between different municipalities. That being said, i prefer seven cities (another nickname of this region). I think its more descriptive, has a better ring to it, and is more neutral. I also don't mind it being called Norfolk metro, but that one would be a fight in and of itself. :lol: .

I have always heard of that area referred to as "Tidewater." That woudl be my preference... it has a colonial ring to it. I know someone from Virginia Beach, and that is how they refer to it. For a long time when I heard Hampton Roads, and I assumed it was another name for Hampton. It took me some time to realize that it was the waterway there. How did that name come about?

I have always heard of that area referred to as "Tidewater." That woudl be my preference... it has a colonial ring to it. I know someone from Virginia Beach, and that is how they refer to it. For a long time when I heard Hampton Roads, and I assumed it was another name for Hampton. It took me some time to realize that it was the waterway there. How did that name come about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclope...mpton_Roads.htm

The term "Hampton Roads" is a centuries-old reference that originated when the region was a struggling British outpost nearly 400 years ago. Designated in the 17th Century as the name of the harbor, "Hampton Roads" honors one of the founders of the Quick Facts about: Virginia Company

Quick Summary not found for this subjectVirginia Company and a great supporter of the colonization of Virginia, Quick Facts about: Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton

Quick Summary not found for this subjectHenry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton. Signifying the safety of a port, "roads" in nautical terminology means "a place less sheltered than a harbor where ships may ride at anchor." Although perhaps by that definition the label harbor is technically incorrect, Hampton Roads has become well-known as the "world's largest natural harbor."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tidewater is just the Southside and excludes the Pennisula. Its weird but that is what Tidewater is. Tidewater: Norfolk, Va.Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Portsmouth.

I prefer Hampton Roads. That's what I grew up hearing, so that's what I'm used to. I also like Seven Cities as well. It just sounds cool.

Tidewater is just the Southside and excludes the Pennisula.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And yet another name to add to the fray: The Southside is also called South Hampton Roads. Funny how I've never heard the Peninsula called North Hampton Roads, though.

I prefer Hampton Roads.  That's what I grew up hearing, so that's what I'm used to.  I also like Seven Cities as well.  It just sounds cool.

And yet another name to add to the fray:  The Southside is also called South Hampton Roads.  Funny how I've never heard the Peninsula called North Hampton Roads, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, you don't expect there to be logic and reason to these names do you :lol: .

That is interesting, thanks for that info everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have a huge identity problem here, that is the big urban core issue that we have here. Norfolk has really been the urban core here for along time. The counties became cities due to the fact that Norfolk starting annexing land and if they became cities Norfolk could not annex anymore land

Yeah I know you have to say Norfolk or Va beach to get them to say ok i know but they give you a weird stare when you say "Hampton Roads". I don't know whats wrong with this area. I love it but sometimes i just get frustrated at the stuff that goes on with the different cities. I wish i could just change things around and make them better. Power makes people do things that are not the best thing for the area.

As someone who is not a native of Virginia, I was originally part amazed and part confused by the strange way folks in this area had to refer to this area.

I can tell you that 99% of the people around the country have no idea which Tide and which Water is being referred to with Tidewater, they have no idea what the Peninsula and Southside represent, they think Hampton Roads refers to the system of streets and highways in the city of Hampton, and I doubt they would even know that Seven Cities referred to somewhere in the USA.

Having lived here for 30 years now, I remain amazed but I am no longer confused.

It all boils down to politics, and the fact that we have seven different power structures now firmly entrenched and protecting their turf and their paychecks and their taxing authority.

Only the economic development groups from southside and the peninsula seem to understand what could be, but that marraige is very young.

Because of the way this area has developed politically, there will never be an agreement on calling the entire area Norfolk-the most well-known and widely recogized of the Gang of Seven. It will never happen, and we will just have to be satisfied with that and all the ramifications, which are many.

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

• 2 weeks later...

Tidewater is just the Southside and excludes the Pennisula. Its weird but that is what Tidewater is. Tidewater: Norfolk, Va.Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Portsmouth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Tidewater is the geographic area east of the Piedmont (Richmond) extending down South from the Northen Neck. So yes, Tidewater include the Pennisula as well as the Eastern Shore.

I agree with Chesapeake Pirate about the futility of marketing these regional-inclusive names for the area.

Perhaps as a compromise to those who do not wish to be represented under a Norfolk-centric nomenclature we could call the area Norfolk/Virginia Beach, much in the way Raleigh/Durham, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Dallas/Fort Worth, etc. have successfully attached and marketed two city names. Adding Newport News would be more inclusive but it makes the name ridiculously long and complicated. Plus I think Norfolk and/or Virginia Beach are things outsiders know of and understand.

I guess 450 years means nothing, VaBeach since the 60's, I think it should be the Norfolk area. Show a little respect for your elders....lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm as Norfo-centric as you are but it's often necessary to compromise. They're new but they're big and it's necessary to cooperate.

• 2 weeks later...

So, isn't Virginia the only State without a state song? We should get together, make one, and turn it in. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virginia does have a state song. It's called "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia". I've actually never heard the tune of this song, but I'm going to look for it on the internet right now! If I find something good, I'll post it here.

OK, I've found something in regards to the Virginia state song. Here are the words:

Carry Me back to Old Virginny

Written by James Bland

Carry me back to old Virginny,

There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,

There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,

There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,

There's where I labored so hard for old massa,

Day after day in the field of yellow corn,

No place on earth do I love more sincerely

Than old Virginny, the state where I was born.

CHORUS

There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,

There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,

There's where this old darkey's heart am long'd to go.

There let me live 'till I wither and decay,

Long by the old Dismal Swamp have I wandered,

There's where this old darke'ys life will pass away.

Massa and missis have long gone before me,

Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore,

There we'll be happy and free from all sorrow,

There's where we'll meet and we'll never part no more.

Here is a link to the tune of the song here