Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

OK, I've found something in regards to the Virginia state song.  Here are the words:

Carry Me back to Old Virginny

Written by James Bland

Carry me back to old Virginny,

There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,

There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,

There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,

There's where I labored so hard for old massa,

Day after day in the field of yellow corn,

No place on earth do I love more sincerely

Than old Virginny, the state where I was born.

CHORUS

There's where this old darkey's heart am long'd to go.

There let me live 'till I wither and decay,

Long by the old Dismal Swamp have I wandered,

There's where this old darke'ys life will pass away.

Massa and missis have long gone before me,

Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore,

There we'll be happy and free from all sorrow,

There's where we'll meet and we'll never part no more.

Here is a link to the tune of the song here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. I often think people get a bit too easily offended but this song is horrible. All I could think after reading those lyrics is WTF.

I like JRQ's idea. Let's make a new one.

OK, I've found something in regards to the Virginia state song.  Here are the words:

Carry Me back to Old Virginny

Written by James Bland

There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,

There's where I labored so hard for old massa,

Day after day in the field of yellow corn,

No place on earth do I love more sincerely

Than old Virginny, the state where I was born.

CHORUS

There's where this old darkey's heart am long'd to go.

There let me live 'till I wither and decay,

Long by the old Dismal Swamp have I wandered,

There's where this old darke'ys life will pass away.

Massa and missis have long gone before me,

Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore,

There we'll be happy and free from all sorrow,

There's where we'll meet and we'll never part no more.

Here is a link to the tune of the song here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now i understand why we don't have a state song. WTF were they thinking? This was obviously written back during civil war days.

I'm as Norfo-centric as you are but it's often necessary to compromise.  They're new but they're big and it's necessary to cooperate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So should Kansas City share its name with its counties that are more populated, should St. Louis, etc. It should be named where the history lies in it. Richmond should be called the Chesterfield/Henrico/Richmond area then, both counties are more populated than Richmond

My understanding is that the state song was written by a former slave. It was adopted as the state song earlier in the 20th century and it stuck for a while until many found it offensive and out of touch with today's society. So, I think they are still looking for a replacement....

found this in the Times-Dispatch. It covers multiple parts of VA so I'll post it here...here are the important parts:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only two states Wyoming and Hawaii -- boast lower unemployment rates than the Old Dominion.

With a 3.3 percent jobless rate, seasonally adjusted, Virginia tied with North Dakota for third-best in the nation.

From February 2004 to February 2005, the latest data available, the number of Virginians with jobs increased 79,000 to 3.73 million. That's the most ever.

The state unemployment rate has dropped from a recent peak of 4.3 percent in July 2003.

Virginia's success these days isn't that unusual, at least judging by recent history.

Right now, the state's unemployment rate is nearly 2 percentage points below the national rate. In July 2003, when post-recession unemployment was peaking here and nationwide, Virginia's jobless rate also was two points below the U.S. average.

And back in the dot-com boom days, say March 2000, Virginia unemployment dipped to 2.3 percent compared with 4 percent nationally. You can do the math.

So in good times and bad through recessions, recoveries and expansions -- Virginia has consistently enjoyed lower than average unemployment rates.

What have we got that other states don't?

Lots of government jobs for one thing. When the national recession hit in March 2000, 628,900 Virginians earned a paycheck from the government state, local or federal. When the recession ended in November 2001, Virginia boasted 630,000 government workers. A year later that total had grown to 636,000.

Today, about 655,000 government employees call Virginia home.

It's no accident that regions with relatively low unemployment --Richmond, Hampton Roads and, especially, Northern Virginia -- also have substantial government workforces that bring a measure of stability to the local economy.

That's not the whole story. Richmond boasts growing financial services and health-care sectors, for example, and Northern Virginia is a high-tech center of international proportions.

But proximity to the always-expanding flow of government money, especially federal dollars, can boost a region's economic stability.

A dependence on manufacturing frequently has the opposite effect.

Five years ago, 367,000 Virginians held manufacturing jobs. Today, the number has dropped to 299,000.

Southside Virginia, which has relied heavily on textile, furniture and apparel makers, continues to suffer from stubbornly high unemployment.

Statewide, manufacturing supplies only about one in 12 jobs, compared with one in 10 nationally.

Yeah it's great if you don't mind making $5.15 an hour...  which sums up the kinds of jobs we have here in droves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be kind of worried if we didn't have alot of jobs at 5.15 an hour. You don't just expect teens to go out at get a first time job at 10.00 hr. (which most of those people are teens.) We have alot of high paying jobs here in this area. How else can people afford to pay to live in Williamsburg and commute to the shipyard or norfolk. Or james City County. Even Gloucester. Lots of high priced homes in this area. I wonder how they buy these if there only making 5.15 hr. I've watched this area turn from sprawling gettoes to mid-high priced homes. Low income housing is few and far between anymore and continues to be bulldozed every chance it gets. Yes we do have alot of 5.15 hr jobs but put it in the context that it should be in. We also have alot of ceo's at the shipyard making 100,000's. I've only worked one job my whole life at minimum wage. You always start at the low end and work your way up. Now I make enough (in less than four years) to support my family own a mid-priced home tithe more than 10% to my local church and own (not owe money) two mid-priced cars. And I havn't even finished my education yet. It only gets better. I would love to see this area bring even more high paying jobs to the area, but to imply that this area is a low income area with low wage paying jobs is just not accurate.

I would be kind of worried if we didn't have alot of jobs at 5.15 an hour.  You don't just expect teens to go out at get a first time job at 10.00 hr.  (which most of those people are teens.)  We have alot of high paying jobs here in this area.  How else can people afford to pay to live in Williamsburg and commute to the shipyard or norfolk.  Or james City County.  Even Gloucester.  Lots of high priced homes in this area.  I wonder how they buy these if there only making 5.15 hr.  I've watched this area turn from sprawling gettoes to mid-high priced homes.  Low income housing is few and far between anymore and continues to be bulldozed every chance it gets.  Yes we do have alot of 5.15 hr jobs but put it in the context that it should be in.  We also have alot of ceo's at the shipyard making 100,000's.  I've only worked one job my whole life at minimum wage.  You always start at the low end and work your way up.  Now I make enough (in less than four years) to support my family own a mid-priced home tithe more than 10% to my local church and own (not owe money) two mid-priced cars.  And I havn't even finished my education yet.  It only gets better.  I would love to see this area bring even more high paying jobs to the area, but to imply that this area is a low income area with low wage paying jobs is just not accurate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look again the next time you go to WalMart, Target, MacDonalds, etc. You will see a lot of people who are not teens working their butts off for almost nothing. For them it doesn't get much better than that.

It may be easy to assume that because there are nicer houses that people are better off. It could also mean that there are a lot of people living beyond their means. Your case is not exactly the norm either.

In any case, compared to NoVa and Richmond, we do not have high paying jobs. That is a fact that can't be disputed.

Look again the next time you go to WalMart, Target, MacDonalds, etc.  You will see a lot of people who are not teens working their butts off for almost nothing.  For them it doesn't get much better than that. 

It may be easy to assume that because there are nicer houses that people are better off.  It could also mean that there are a lot of people living beyond their means.  Your case is not exactly the norm either.

In any case, compared to NoVa and Richmond, we do not have high paying jobs.  That is a fact that can't be disputed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every target or Walmart that I have seen are full of mostly young people or older people looking to supplement there retirement pay. I should no my mother has managed Hampton Walmart, Newport News Walmart, Portsmouth Walmart (College Drive), and Norfolk Walmart (Military highway). Yes there are some people who work there that might not fit into this category, but the majority do. Compared to Richmond I believe that our per capita here is actually higher than richmonds. And in reference to D.C. your trying to compare apples with oranges. Trying to compare a metro area of 1.6 million to an area of 5+ million with a higher cost of living is not even close. Compare our cost of living with areas such as St. Louis and Milwaukee and San Diego and you'll find that for our size our per capita is just about right. Last I checked there are alot of medical jobs in this region with huge medical centers like the norfolk medical campus, thousands of jobs that are pretty good income. Shipyard's don't pay poor either, starting pay at Newport News is now at 30,000 yr. (starting) Jefferson research labs, even all of the calling centers that are popping up don't pay poor either, of which I have worked at a few. By the way the majority of people who work at walmart that arn't in the ages I described are mostly departmant managers, associate managers, regional managers..etc..... and they don't make a poor salary either. Walmart is actually a pretty good wage if you work your way up. Just like any thing else in life you have to work for it. It just doesn't fall into your lap.

I make good money at the Verizon Fiber Solution Center right around 60,000 a year with potential to grow in the company. There is alot of good jobs here. Alot of people are content at working at WalMart because they don't want to put in the hard work it takes to make the big bucks. I am still going to college as well to become an Electrical Engineer. I really want to make big bucks and have a career so i put in the work to make this happen. I just bought a house and have a car note and getting ready to by another car when this payment is done.

Edited by rusthebuss

Every target or Walmart that I have seen are full of mostly young people or older people looking to supplement there retirement pay.  I should no my mother has managed Hampton Walmart, Newport News Walmart, Portsmouth Walmart (College Drive), and Norfolk Walmart (Military highway).  Yes there are some people who work there that might not fit into this category, but the majority do.  Compared to Richmond I believe that our per capita here is actually higher than richmonds. And in reference to D.C. your trying to compare apples with oranges.  Trying to compare a metro area of 1.6 million to an area of 5+ million with a higher cost of living is not even close.  Compare our cost of living with areas such as St. Louis and Milwaukee and San Diego and you'll find that for our size our per capita is just about right.  Last I checked there are alot of medical jobs in this region with huge medical centers like the norfolk medical campus, thousands of jobs that are pretty good income.  Shipyard's don't pay poor either, starting pay at Newport News is now at 30,000 yr. (starting)  Jefferson research labs, even all of the calling centers that are popping up don't pay poor either, of which I have worked at a few.  By the way the majority of people who work at walmart that arn't in the ages I described are mostly departmant managers, associate managers, regional managers..etc.....  and they don't make a poor salary either.  Walmart is actually a pretty good wage if you work your way up. Just like any thing else in life you have to work for it.  It just doesn't fall into your lap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to retract a statement I made. Richmond does have a higher per capita then we do. I went to the official U.S. Census online and took the median income statistics and per capita statistics and then took population statistics. For each City or County in the metro areas I took their metro's population and divided it by each city/county population and got thier percentage. Than by taking their percentage of the population you can multiply that by the median income and per capita, then add them all together, and you get the average median income and per capita for each region.

Here are the facts:

RichmonD:

Median Income = 45,982

Per Capita = 22,195

Hampton Roads:

Medain Income = 45,385

Per Capita = 21,951

So yes I did give a false fact but I hardly think that a few hundred dollars short really constitutes that much of a difference in any area.. Remember, Richmond is the one with all the big headquarters and supposedely high paying jobs. If that's the truth, then we aren't doing to bad without the "big paying jobs" imagine what a few could do for this region.

I have to retract a statement I made.  Richmond does have a higher per capita then we do.  I went to the official U.S. Census online and took the median income statistics and per capita statistics and then took population statistics.  For each City or County in the metro areas I took their metro's population and divided it by each city/county population and got thier percentage.  Than by taking their percentage of the population you can multiply that by the median income and per capita, then add them all together, and you get the average median income and per capita for each region.

Here are the facts:

RichmonD:

Median Income = 45,982

Per Capita = 22,195

Hampton Roads:

Medain Income = 45,385

Per Capita = 21,951

So yes I did give a false fact but I hardly think that a few hundred dollars short really constitutes that much of a difference in any area.. Remember, Richmond is the one with all the big headquarters and supposedely high paying jobs.  If that's the truth, then we aren't doing to bad without the "big paying jobs"  imagine what a few could do for this region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond-Petersburg, VA (MSA)-$32,268

Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA (MSA)- $27,452

Source: Bureau of Economic Analysis

Check Chesterfield or Henrico's per capita or per household income. They are substantially higher than Richmond

Richmond-Petersburg, VA (MSA)-$32,268

Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA (MSA)- $27,452

Source: Bureau of Economic Analysis

Check Chesterfield or Henrico's per capita or per household income. They are substantially higher than Richmond

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As many counties and cities I could think of I used for each MSA. I have listed the facts below.

Also I will provide a link to the census.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/

Here are the facts according to the official U.S. Census Beaurea. Which are pretty accurate. However the last census was 2000 so keep that in mind.

Henrico County

pop. 271, 083

median income = 49, 185

per capita = 26,410

Hopewell

pop. 22,391

median income = 33,196

per capita = 16,339

Petersburg

pop. 33,091

median income = 28,851

per capita = 15,989

Richmond

pop. 197,790

median income = 31,121

per capita = 20,337

Chesterfield County

pop. 276,840

median income = 54,537

per capita = 25,286

Hanover County

pop. 94,081

median income = 59,223

per capita = 25,120

Richmond metro (unless I missed some counties, Don't know if you consider some of the peninsula counties part of msa) 895,276 (I might be leaving some counties out but the major population is about right. I don't know where the 1.2 million comes from maybe you can tell me of a county or city that I missed.

Cheseake

pop. 199,184

median income = 50, 743

per capita = 21,949

Hampton

Pop. 146,437

median income = 39,532

per capita = 19,774

Newport News

Pop. 180,150

median income = 37,597

per capita = 17,843

Norfolk

Pop. 234,403

median income = 31,815

per capita = 17,372

Portsmouth

pop. 100,565

median income = 33,742

per capita = 16,507

Suffolk

pop. 63,677

median income = 41,115

per capita = 18,836

Virginia Beach

pop. 425,257

median income = 48,705

per capita = 22,365

Poquoson

pop. 11,844

median income = 60,920

per capita = 25,336

James City County

Pop. 53,487

median income = 55,594

per capita = 29,256

Williamsburg

pop. 11,605

median income = 37,093

per capita = 18,483

Isle of Wight

pop. 31,925

median income = 45,387

per capita = 20,235

Gloucester County

pop. 36,698

median income = 45,521

per capita = 19,990

Hampton Roads Metro = 1,495,232 (also missing a few counties to keep from being too laborious)

These are the facts according to the U.S. Census of 2000. If you really want me to I can crunch all of the numbers out for you. I don't know where you got those numbers but check that we are on the same page as far as per capita and median income. And if all else fails I would go with the census being a little more accurate. That's what the government uses to get all of its facts.

Edited by urbanfan

Okay found it. Here is the link. It is from the Census website as well. The population numbers are from the Census 2003 estimates.

METROPOLITAN AND MICROPOLITAN STATISTICAL AREAS AND COMPONENTS, November 2004, WITH CODES

(Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas, and metropolitan divisions defined by the Office of Management and

Budget, November 2004)

Source: Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau

Internet Release Date: March 2005

The Richmond MSA consists of the following:

Amelia County- 11,742

Caroline County- 23,190

Charles City County- 7,118

Chesterfield County- 276,840

Cumberland County- 9,189

Dinwiddie County- 24,853

Goochland County- 18,138

Hanover County- 94,081

Henrico County- 271,083

King and Queen County- 6,588

King William County- 14,131

Louisa County- 28,031

New Kent County- 14,843

Powhatan County- 24,649

Prince George County- 34,305

Sussex County- 11,956

Colonial Heights City- 17,286

Hopewell City- 22,391

Petersburg City- 33,091

Richmond City- 194,729

Richmond MSA Total: 1,137,964

The Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News MSA consists of the following:

Currituck County, NC-20,834

Gloucester County- 36,698

Isle of Wight County- 31,925

James City County- 53,487

Mathews County- 9,216

Surry County- 7,009

York County- 60,948

Chesapeake city- 199,184

Hampton city- 146,437

Newport News city- 180,150

Norfolk city- 234,403

Poquoson city- 11,844

Portsmouth city- 100,565

Suffolk city- 63,677

Virginia Beach city- 425,257

Williamsburg city- 11,605

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News MSA Total: 1,593,239

The Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News MSA consists of the following:

Currituck County, NC-20,834

Gloucester County- 36,698

Isle of Wight County- 31,925

James City County- 53,487

Mathews County- 9,216

Surry County- 7,009

York County- 60,948

Chesapeake city- 199,184

Hampton city- 146,437

Newport News city- 180,150

Norfolk city- 234,403

Poquoson city- 11,844

Portsmouth city- 100,565

Suffolk city- 63,677

Virginia Beach city- 425,257

Williamsburg city- 11,605

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News MSA Total: 1,593,239

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You had everything right until you got to the hampton roads cities, you used the 2000 pop. estimates. To get the 2003 estimates you have to use the county pulldown menu to the left and scroll all the way to the bottom until you get to the cities. With that said I'll post the correct numbers.

Chesapeake = 210,834

Hampton = 146,878

Newport News = 181,647

Norfolk = 241,727

Poquoson = 11,844

Portsmouth = 99,617

Suffolk = 73,515

Virginia Beach = 439,467

Williamsburg = 11,605

Currituck County = 20,834

Gloucester County = 36,698

Isle of Wight County = 31,925

James City County = 53,487

Mathews County = 9,216

York County = 60,948

Surry County = 7,009

Total = 1,637,251

Also I believe your math is a little off your Richmond total should be 1,138,234

Edited by urbanfan

In the 2003 Census additions HR didn't acquire any more NC counties?  And didn't the name of the MSA change from Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA-NC to Virginia Beach, VA-NC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is not a 2003 Census just population estimates based on previous growth. More than likely these numbers are pretty safe. I would bet that Hampton Roads is closer to 1.7 mill. and Richmond closer to 1.2 million. I'll base that on the phenomenal growth here on the peninsula. Not to mention all of the growth going on in Downtown norfolk and Virginia Beach. And of course Chesapeake and Suffolk are hitting serious growth spurts. And as far as Metropolitan names are concerned, as of 2004 the metro area is still defined as Norfolk-virginia beach-newport news, va-nc. Only the counties and cities defined are part of the statistical area. Who knows what the future holds. I know alot of people at the NN Shipyard that are commuting in busses from gates county and others down in north carolina so in the future I expect to see a couple of North Carolina counties added. However I don't think you would ever see the name change because of the fact that there is not one dominant city that people commute to. We all cross commute to different cities in the region.