Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

• 1 month later...

Stevenrocks, what is all this chatter on the Norfolk forum about important new retail on Granby north of Brambleton? They are tossing the "B" word around. Seems an unlikely site for a stand-alone major department store. You're an inside retail expert; what's your reading?

Edited by burt

Stevenrocks, what is all this chatter on the Norfolk forum about important new retail on Granby north of Brambleton? They are tossing the "B" word around. Seems an unlikely site for a stand-alone major department store. You're an inside retail expert; what's your reading?

Why is it an unlikely site with all that is going on around that area. And the "B" was speculation and Vdogg said he can't tell us what is coming but its a big name!

I've already explicitly stated that it is not the "B" word. Someone else threw that out as a red herring. Do not concentrate so much on the standalone part either. While retail is the only thing I was clued into I imagine there's more to it than that. That whole strip has been bought and those businesses days are numbered, this has been general public knowledge for quite some time. What hasn't been public knowledge was who is coming, and if you read the retail thread a little closer, you should be able to figure it out. :lol:

Edited by vdogg

I've already explicitly stated that it is not the "B" word. Someone else threw that out as a red herring. Do not concentrate so much on the standalone part either. While retail is the only thing I was clued into I imagine there's more to it than that. That whole strip has been bought and those businesses days are numbered, this has been general public knowledge for quite some time. What hasn't been public knowledge was who is coming, and if you read the retail thread a little closer, you should be able to figure it out. :lol:

I give up, vdogg! But I bet Steven can figure it out.

Incidentally, I've heard that Bloomie's was seriously considered for Short Pump but the concensus is that it will be Macy's.

Maybe Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus will rise at Watkins Center in Metro Richmond. OR, maybe in the ground level of our new 50-story skyscraper! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna put this in HR off-topic but this is a decidedly rosey report with good news for all virginians (no forum is left unmentioned :D ) so I am putting it here instead.

2005 Virginia Business expansion.

Just a tidbit:

" As more New York and Washington, D.C., investors buy in cities such as Richmond and Norfolk, local players are getting priced out of the market, says Downs."

wow... I'm surprised Richmond has the largest industrial market in the state....

It's usually known for its large financial, law, corporate etc... presence.

Guess it's good though, if anything, it shows that the local economy is pretty diverse and not overly dependent on one sector of business!

Glad to hear the rest of VA is boomin' along too!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Richmond nags its 7th Fortune 500 Headquarters.!! Meade/Westvaco just announced that it will move its headquarters from Stamford. Ct. to Richmond. 400 new high-paying jobs will be created and the company is scouting sites in Greater Richmond for a site to construct a new home office. A lot of us are hoping it will rise downtown. :yahoo:

posted by Willy:

Hampton Roads as a region has received 20 percent less road funding per capita than Richmond over the past 10 years. In terms of funding from the state, we’ve received $1,346 per person over 10 years for new road construction and improvements, yet a citizen of Richmond received more than $1,687. If we crunch the numbers, Hampton Roads is owed nearly $423 million for road construction.
The roadways in Richmond are substantially better than the ones here in Hampton Roads. According to The Road Information Project (TRIP), it costs $1,000 a year to operate a car in Richmond and $1,300 a year in Hampton Roads due to poor road safety, increased congestion and vehicle wear.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the quickest Route from Raleigh to the Norfolk/Virignia Beach Area? Most map sites tell me to go up I-95 to US 58 in Emporia. Could I make it a day trip? Also, what if I were coming from Greensboro? Thanks.

I would come 95 to 64. 58 has way to many cops on it and speeds go up and down too much. I think its a 4 hours drive but don't hold me to it.

I would come 95 to 64. 58 has way to many cops on it and speeds go up and down too much. I think its a 4 hours drive but don't hold me to it.

Yeah, it is about 4 hours. I always take 58, not that I love going thru the small towns. 95 does not intersect with 64 that I recall.

Actually, Henrico's borders have taken the Varina-Enon Bridge... it used to meet in the center of the river but the James is Henrico's river now. I am not sure when the borders changed, but Chesterfield gave Henricus back to Henrico and Henrico took the river on both sides of Richmond... although I think Henrico should have taken its former outline along the old channel. Chesterfield has the cut-offs though.