Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a neat little map that shows what cities people commonly identify themselves with. I find Roanokes sphere of influence to be surprisingly large for a city its size. Also surprising is how small DC's sphere of influence is in this state.

national_1280.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a neat little map that shows what cities people commonly identify themselves with. I find Roanokes sphere of influence to be surprisingly large for a city its size. Also surprising is how small DC's sphere of influence is in this state.

I think Roanoke's sphere of influence is larger (in land area) because it is farther away from competition than Richmond or DC. If you look closely, a good 20% of the Roanoke sphere is in West Virginia, and it extends farther southwest, where competition from Johnson city is weak and Knoxville is the first large city. Richmond is really feeling the squeeze from Norfolk, DC

and Charlottesville. And notice that the Richmond sphere extends the farthest to the southwest, toward Roanoke. Poor DC is very close to Baltimore, severely reducing its dominance in that direction. Look how large Billings Montana's sphere is, despite its small population, because there's no competition. I think oftentimes people relate to the closest city that provides certain services, especially the city that is the hub for the media market for their area. I wonder how closely this commonCensus project would mirror the media market boundaries of the country?

Another factor is uneven participation. Richmond and Norfolk are probably under-represented. Look at Los Angeles, which has fewer participants than San Fransisco, despite being significantly larger.

I don't know if here is where I would ask about this but here goes... In Europe, a main image of the U.S. we have in our minds is of the telephone poles along the highways with the ceramic or glass insulators sticking out on the tops with many lines swagging down. Most of Europe has lines under the ground. The point I wish to make here is as I drive around Hampton Rds. I notice how the cities are cutting the trees to look like the sling shot toys around the lines and it really looks bad to me. I know they have to do this to keep the limbs from dropping on lines from the bad storms which occur here but why doesn't the city or power/telephone company put the lines under the ground? Poor trees!!!

I don't know if here is where I would ask about this but here goes... In Europe, a main image of the U.S. we have in our minds is of the telephone poles along the highways with the ceramic or glass insulators sticking out on the tops with many lines swagging down. Most of Europe has lines under the ground. The point I wish to make here is as I drive around Hampton Rds. I notice how the cities are cutting the trees to look like the sling shot toys around the lines and it really looks bad to me. I know they have to do this to keep the limbs from dropping on lines from the bad storms which occur here but why doesn't the city or power/telephone company put the lines under the ground? Poor trees!!!

Alot of that has to do with cost and also we are close to sea level which makes it that much more expensive to put duct banks down and such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think its my new computer. I noticed now the colors are gone. I think the old monitor and new computer are having a few issues.. I knew I wasn't losing my mind. :P

If you just replaced the monitor you may want to check the capable connection to your graphics card. I was having the same problem and swore up and down that it was the monitor but it just turned out that the connection was loose. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...