Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

You had everything right until you got to the hampton roads cities, you used the 2000 pop. estimates. 

Also I believe your math is a little off your Richmond total should be 1,138,234

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man can you check my math homework for me before I turn it in just to make sure everything is correct :D j/k...After spending forever doing all that sh*t I got lazy and decided touse the city pulldown for the info. I didnt realize they would have not included on the city pulldown, yet included it on the county pull down that included cities (hopefully that made sense).

One thing I will point out is that the 2003 census estimate for the city would be inaccurate, as the city is definitely not losing that many residents. That was from previous population trends which don't hold into account the recent shifts in the local market.

Something about Chesapeake bothers me too. My wife was trying to get me to move there and i refuse to move there. Can't figure out why but i just won't move to there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived in Chesapeake for 8 years and the only thing I didn't like was the rapid housing development. I lived by 100's of acres of corn and wheat, and suddenly houses are being built on them. Quite sad...

The thing about Chesapeake is that it brings nothing new to the table. No beach, no downtown, etc. It's just a big boring suburb for people who want a "bigger yard" than they can get in VA Beach (I have heard this a lot).

They do have the Dismal Swamp and the southern part is pretty, I'll admit. It's just that the totally boring sea of development in the northern and western parts make it so blah. Plus all the bridges that are always clogged with traffic. I would not live there if you paid me. Well maybe I would lol, but only if it was free.

Some good news for ole' Virginnie: Unemployment numbers are lower yet again in March. Increases were found in only one place and remained unchanged in one other.

"Virginia's jobless rate falls to 3.4%

Construction, tourism among sectors that added jobs in March

BY JOHN REID BLACKWELL

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Apr 28, 2005

Virginia's unemployment rate dropped by 0.2 percentage points to 3.4 percent in March as the tourism industry and the professional and business services and construction sectors had strong hiring.

The jobless rate was down from 3.6 percent in February and 3.9 percent in March 2004, the Virginia Employment Commission reported yesterday.

"Most of the change seemed to be seasonal," said Bill Mezger, the VEC's chief economist. "We had a pickup in the start of the tourist season." Leisure and hospitality businesses added 5,800 jobs in March to reach an employment of 306,600, the VEC said.

The professional and business services sector continued its strong performance by adding 6,000 jobs for a total of 589,900 workers. "Those are the kind of jobs that a lot of the new college graduates are applying for," Mezger said.

The construction industry added 4,500 jobs for a total of 232,800 workers, even though the weather in March wasn't ideal for that sector.

Employment also rose in trade and transportation, government, private education and health care, finance, manufacturing and information....

....The Richmond area followed the state trend with unemployment dropping to 3.6 percent in March from 3.8 percent in February and 4 percent one year ago. The region also had gains in tourism, construction and professional and business services.

The unemployment rate dropped in eight of the state's 10 metropolitan areas in March. It rose in one metro area and was unchanged in one -- Harrisonburg. Loudoun County had the lowest unemployment rate among cities and counties, at 2 percent. Martinsville city had the highest rate at 10.6 percent."

the whole article...

I remember reading this article that Carry Me Back To Old Virginia WAS the state song, but it was dumped, and they have tried for years to makc a new one, but none have been that good. I swear I read this huge article sometime about that.....

I remember reading this article that Carry Me Back To Old Virginia WAS the state song, but it was dumped, and they have tried for years to makc a new one, but none have been that good. I swear I read this huge article sometime about that.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we talked about that on here not too long ago.....the old one, written by a former slave, was found to be offensive by today's standards. So the search continues for a song good enough to represent the Old Dominion.

Maybe an idea for other areas of congestion in the state????

"VDOT makes deal for new toll lanes

Australian firm will provide some funds for the N.Va. project

BY PETER BACQUE

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Apr 30, 2005

Virginia may be outback-sourcing critical financing for new toll lanes on the Capital Beltway in Northern Virginia.

Assuming the $900 million project meets environmental and economic tests, an Australian company will be footing the bill for at least 15 percent of the high-occupancy toll lanes' construction cost.

The innovative private funding for the 14-mile project is part of an agreement announced yesterday between the state Department of Transportation, Australian firm Transurban Ltd. and U.S. construction giant Fluor Corp.

"Our game plan is to proceed on a path that would require no state revenues," said state Transportation Commissioner Philip Shucet.

Fluor's earlier proposal for the HOT lanes would have required VDOT to put up $200 million, Shucet said, money the state does not have. The construction on the Beltway -- Interstate 495 would be paid for with user fees.

The deal was signed under the state's Public-Private Transportation Act, which allows VDOT to join with private companies to build projects more efficiently........."

read the rest here

I think VDOT needs to get focused on completion of highway 58. Its taken them like 30 years, and they still have alot to go.....it makes me soo mad to see another road slapped in Rchmond, or Newport, when this thing has been going on forever, and it still has alot to go...its a major road coming down the mountain....if you look it up, I'm sure you'll see where I'm coming from on this issue.

Good job Richmond and Hampton Roads!

Richmond tops in joblessness

Richmond Times-Dispatch May 3, 2005

The Richmond area ranks high in its jobless rate and that's a good thing.

Among the 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas, the Richmond area tied with the Washington, D.C., area for the lowest jobless rate -- 3.6 percent -- in March, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News area and the Las Vegas area tied for second lowest with unemployment rates of 3.9 percent.

Seasonally-adjusted statistics indicate that Hawaii had the lowest unemployment among the states at 2.8 percent, Wyoming was the second lowest at 3.1 percent, and Virginia and North Dakota were tied for third at 3.4 percent.

Look for more on this economic story, and the Fed's decision to raise interest rates, in tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Good job Richmond and Hampton Roads!

Richmond tops in joblessness

Richmond Times-Dispatch May 3, 2005

The Richmond area ranks high in its jobless rate and that's a good thing.

Among the 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas, the Richmond area tied with the Washington, D.C., area for the lowest jobless rate -- 3.6 percent -- in March, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News area and the Las Vegas area tied for second lowest with unemployment rates of 3.9 percent.

Seasonally-adjusted statistics indicate that Hawaii had the lowest unemployment among the states at 2.8 percent, Wyoming was the second lowest at 3.1 percent, and Virginia and North Dakota were tied for third at 3.4 percent.

Look for more on this economic story, and the Fed's decision to raise interest rates, in tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow thats great! Virginia as a whole is doing great!

Good news for the CAA...

CAA to begin sponsoring division I-AA football in 2007

Richmond.com

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Colonial Athletic Association Commissioner Thomas E. Yeager announced today that the conference will sponsor football beginning with the 2007 season.

"We are pleased to announce the addition of football to the CAA," Yeager said. "College football, with all of its tradition, pageantry, and rivalries, creates an interest and excitement on campus and across communities that is unmatched. We look forward to having the CAA name attached to such a distinguished group of institutions and building on the successes that those members have had in the past."

Members of the CAA's Division I-AA football conference will be the University of Delaware, Hofstra University, James Madison University, the University of Maine, the University of Massachusetts, the University of New Hampshire, Northeastern University, the University of Rhode Island, the University of Richmond, Towson University, Villanova University and the College of William & Mary. All 12 teams are currently members of the Atlantic 10 Football Conference and will continue that affiliation through the 2006 season.

"The addition of Northeastern as a full CAA member and the sixth football-playing institution qualified the CAA for football conference recognition by the NCAA," Yeager said. "With the commitment to begin conference competition, invitations were sent to the other six institutions and we are thrilled that the long, competitive history of this league will be preserved."

The conference is already considered one of the finest in Division I-AA football, having produced the past two national champions in Delaware (2003) and James Madison (2004) and three of the last seven with Massachusetts claiming the title in 1998. Ten of the 12 teams have reached the Division I-AA playoffs at least once in the past five years....."

the rest...

hopefully the environmental impact from this will be minimal. I suppose the barge was travelling to the Port of Richmond?

"James River fuel spill may be larger than first thought

By Mike Garrity

NBC12 News

Monday, May 9, 2005

Cleanup crews have resumed the cleanup of a large amount of diesel fuel that spilled into the James River yesterday. The accident involved a fuel barge that ran aground near the Osborne boat landing, just south of Varina.

Initially, authorities said they believed at least 200 gallons of fuel had leaked into the river, as of last evening. Now, they are saying there could be thousands of gallons spilled. The Coast Guard says at least 1200 gallons has been lost. Noting that a 10,000 gallon spill is considered a

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From today's New York Times Business Section

To Conserve Gas, President Calls for Less Driving

By DAVID LEONHARDT, JAD MOUAWAD and DAVID E. SANGER

Published: September 27, 2005

With fears mounting that high energy costs will crimp economic growth, President Bush called on Americans yesterday to conserve gasoline by driving less. He also issued a directive for all federal agencies to cut their own energy use and to encourage employees to use public transportation.

"We can all pitch in," Mr. Bush said. "People just need to recognize that the storms have caused disruption," he added, and that if Americans are able to avoid going "on a trip that's not essential, that would be helpful."

Mr. Bush's comments, while similar to remarks he made shortly after the disruption from Hurricane Katrina pushed gasoline prices sharply higher, were particularly notable because the administration has long emphasized new production over conservation. It has also opted not to impose higher mileage standards on automakers.

In 2001, Vice President Dick Cheney said, "Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it cannot be the basis of a sound energy policy." Also that year, Ari Fleischer, then Mr. Bush's press secretary, responded to a question about reducing American energy consumption by saying "that's a big no."

"The president believes that it's an American way of life," Mr. Fleischer said.

More...

==========

I find it truly amazing that one of the greatest opponents of public transportation this country has known, and one of the men on a years-long campaign to destroy AMTRAK, is now ADVOCATING transit and energy conservation.

Maybe this is a sign that people in this country are starting to come around? I can be an optimist, can't I? :rolleyes:

From today's New York Times Business Section

To Conserve Gas, President Calls for Less Driving

By DAVID LEONHARDT, JAD MOUAWAD and DAVID E. SANGER

Published: September 27, 2005

With fears mounting that high energy costs will crimp economic growth, President Bush called on Americans yesterday to conserve gasoline by driving less. He also issued a directive for all federal agencies to cut their own energy use and to encourage employees to use public transportation.

"We can all pitch in," Mr. Bush said. "People just need to recognize that the storms have caused disruption," he added, and that if Americans are able to avoid going "on a trip that's not essential, that would be helpful."

Mr. Bush's comments, while similar to remarks he made shortly after the disruption from Hurricane Katrina pushed gasoline prices sharply higher, were particularly notable because the administration has long emphasized new production over conservation. It has also opted not to impose higher mileage standards on automakers.

In 2001, Vice President Dick Cheney said, "Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it cannot be the basis of a sound energy policy." Also that year, Ari Fleischer, then Mr. Bush's press secretary, responded to a question about reducing American energy consumption by saying "that's a big no."

"The president believes that it's an American way of life," Mr. Fleischer said.

More...

==========

I find it truly amazing that one of the greatest opponents of public transportation this country has known, and one of the men on a years-long campaign to destroy AMTRAK, is now ADVOCATING transit and energy conservation.

Maybe this is a sign that people in this country are starting to come around? I can be an optimist, can't I? :rolleyes:

The highest budget for mass transit (almost 40% increase) has come from this administration. How do you say that he is an opponent of mass transit. Amtrak is running itself into the ground, he just rather take amtrak out and save the time and money. Look at the newport news, richmond segment. It is never even a quarter of the way full as far as passenger count. But yet it runs twice a day. And guess who pays for it. That's right, we do, taxpayers. :wacko:

The highest budget for mass transit (almost 40% increase) has come from this administration. How do you say that he is an opponent of mass transit. Amtrak is running itself into the ground, he just rather take amtrak out and save the time and money. Look at the newport news, richmond segment. It is never even a quarter of the way full as far as passenger count. But yet it runs twice a day. And guess who pays for it. That's right, we do, taxpayers. :wacko:

And highway appropriations under Title 1 in SAFETEA-LU increased 42.5% from TEA-21. SAFETEA-LU isn't the advancing of the spirit of intermodalism begun with ISTEA and advanced with TEA-21. It's merely a step in place and we're stuck with it for 6 years. Many transportation planners such as myself are frustrated with it.

AMTRAK's plight isn't for lack of trying. They're at the mercy of freight carriers who own many of the railroads, their hands are tied when it comes to fundraising, they're forbidden from lobbying Congress or making campaing contributions. So when it comes time to discuss transportation issues in committee, there is a very uneven playing field.

Wikipedia has an interesting history of AMTRAK

Here

• 2 weeks later...