Virginia off-topic talk

Jerseyman4

• 3 weeks later...

I read the rules and I don’t think I am breaking them with this post. If I am please let me know as I don’t want to be a problem.

My wife and are have a week off in the middle of June. We had been talking about coming to Virginia for that week. I spent a lot of time in Newport News and that area as a kid. The problem is I am twenty nine now and don’t remember much of what’s down there. Its been about eighteen years since I was there.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what there is to do, or things that maybe you would consider must do while there. My wife loves the beach and I am happy just wondering around. I don’t know if we should get a room for a week in one place or travel around and stay at a few places. I received the Virginia travel books in the mail. Unfortunately they don’t really give a good idea of things in the various areas. I am hoping maybe some insight from locals can help make this trip special. This is the first time in our 9 year marriage that we are getting to go away together.

Any help would be appreciated. If this is violating the rules again I am sorry. If anybody needs to know any specifics from me I would be happy to answer them if it helps. I am open to the idea of traveling around and see multiple sites. I loved Virginia as a kid and hope it is even better than I remember.

Do you have children that you will be bringing along?

Edited by Glassoul

As far as accomodations while you're staying in Hampton Roads, there really is no better place than the Renaissance in downtown Portsmouth - it has the best views around and is walking distance to all of Old Town Portsmouth and a ferry ride away from downtown Norfolk. The ferry is something not to be missed.

Here are pictures of the hotel and the view from the rooms:

NOR_RENA-exter-1.jpg

hotel.gif

Edited by gosscj

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize some of us don't like polls but I found this one interesting. Forbes listed four Virginians among the 400 richest Americans.

Rank Name Net Worth ($bil) Age Residence Source

21 Forrest Edward Mars Jr 10.5 75 McLean, VA candy

21 John Franklyn Mars 10.5 70 Arlington, VA candy

215 Winnie Johnson-Marquart 1.6 47 Virginia Beach, VA SC Johnson & Sons

278 Frank Batten Sr 1.4 79 Virginia Beach, VA Landmark

source