Suggestions

vdogg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

How about a seperate forum (like HR, Richmond, Roanoke) with town pages? So far, i have a South Boston page but mayyyyybeeee two are on the way to be started by the end of the week. It will be a suprise, stay tuned:

Out of Virignia:

One in NJ

Three in SC

Suprisingly, none in NC but i need to make one for my hometown soon.

I was thinking like a seperate sub-forum for individual small town pages to go up, not necessarly give them URL's like the bigger cities do. Its a project that can be started to motivate other people to start up/expand town pages mainly with photography and other useful information about them. So far, only South Boston is up there but besides me that will contribute a little more, it will motivate others of doing so.

• 2 months later...

I like the consolidated Virginia Forum (ditching that extra "Hampton Roads" level). That said, I think it might require changing the subtitle under Norfolk. I mean, is it fair to call Norfolk "The Urban Center" of Virginia? What could be a more appropriate subtitle for Norfolk?

Some brainstormed ideas:

Life. Celebrated Daily. (city's slogan)

A Port City Reborn

Mermaids and more!

City of Seamen (giggle)

Heh, I don't know. You may have a point there but I think most on this site know we're referring to the Norfolk metro area with that descriptor. I guess it's debatable, I don't really know what to change it to though.

• 2 weeks later...

haha I never noticed that... that must be left over from the Hampton Roads section.

Not that I really care, but some might mis-take that for meaning the urban center of Virginia, which wouldn't be the best fit. Norfolk has many great attributes, I'm sure something even better could be had. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

I think it would be nice to see a "southwestern Virginia" forum, or even a forum for the largest city in southwestern Virginia, which is Bristol. There are several cities in southwestern Virginia that are fairly high populated and its strange that there is not one for southwestern VA. Seems like they are currently incorporated into "Roanoke". Even Abingdon is a decent size city, with alot of history. Also, I-81 goes right through the heart of SW Virginia, so there are all sorts of little towns along I-81 - there is Marion, Blacksburg, Wytheville, Damascus, etc and even down along I-77 - Hillsville, Galax, etc.

As an example- here is a "skyline" photo of the largest city in southwestern Virginia- in Bristol, which also shares its name with Bristol, TENNESSEE. This is overlooking the downtown Bristol TN-VA area. Total population of both cities combined is around 47,000. Total Tri-Cities population (Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City) is around 160,000 and entire metro population is over 450,000. Bristol, VA kindof blends in with Kingsport and Johnson City, simply because TN and VA share the Bristol name. Its like one big city.

100_2007.jpg

And here are a couple of the taller buildings on the Virginia side of town....

100_2004.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_1937.jpg

100_2000.jpg

I understand what you're saying but I am reluctant to add any more subforums at this time, we simply do not have the demand for it. Also, in doing away with the Hampton Roads subforum, we made a conscious decision to stay away from regional subforums (or adding layers) and instead concentrate on the main cities (those with the most interest) and lump everything else in the Virginia main forum. There is very little activity in the main forum and I would have to see far more to justify any forum reorganization at this time.

That's understandable, but I have lately been thinking that it might be a good idea to include some of the Hampton Roads discussions into the Norfolk thread so that they might see more activity - like they did when they were their own forum. The Richmond forum includes the surrounding suburban counties so why not let Norfolk stand for Greater Norfolk?

That's understandable, but I have lately been thinking that it might be a good idea to include some of the Hampton Roads discussions into the Norfolk thread so that they might see more activity - like they did when they were their own forum. The Richmond forum includes the surrounding suburban counties so why not let Norfolk stand for Greater Norfolk?

Thats understandable, but if there was some way to also label the "Roanoke" forum as something like "Roanoke/Bristol", or "Roanoke/southwestern Virginia".

I think if it looked like that area was also meant to be included that more people MAY be apt to post there for SW Virginia. As of now, it looks like they are "unwelcome", or "unimportant" so to speak.

It used to be but it was not getting much attention so I moved it over to guys forum. If you talk NoVa you might as well say DC. That part of the state is very much an enclave in its own right, having more in common with D.C. proper than with the rest of the state. The same can be said for the Maryland suburbs.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived