Is Charlotte really North Carolina?

monsoon

Does Charlotte feel like North Carolina?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Does Charlotte feel like North Carolina?

• Yes
    • No
    • This is a dumb question

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, thats why. But I have heard of steel production in Charlotte by Nucor, I wonder where they make it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NUCOR doesn't have any steel production facilites in Charlotte...however their HQ are here...and they are the largest Steel Company in the USA. The closest manufacturing facility is in Darlington, SC.

There is the Charlotte Pipe & Foundry which is visable from the 277-Belk and I-77 interchange. The do a lot of casting and molding there. If the wind is blowing the right direction you can smell it throughout downtown.

There is a steel mill just north of Harris Blvd on 115. There is another steel mill on Wilkinson Blvd west of the intersection with Remount Rd. Both mills specialize in deailing with recycled metal.

In addition there are several European based companies that have US operations in Charlotte where specialized parts used for steel making are manufactured.

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of any one city in NC being the epitome of what is "typical NC", is really going to be difficult. We are really blessed in being in a state that has such a divergent landscape and indeed historical development. Because of these dynamics, the cities and towns of the state have development (or some cases stagnated) due to various influences of geography and history.

Even today, those influences are still shaping the communities (large and small), which make the state so unique.

Having lived in various NC cities...including Charlotte...and spent a lot of time in the mountains and the coast of NC for the past 28 years...I can say whole heartedly that Charlotte does have a different feel than the rest of NC.

If you go to Asheville, G'Boro, Raleigh, Winston, or Wilmington...they all feel like NC...they have the same smells, the same people, and a lot of similar architecture.

Charlotte is the only major NC city that is not part of the I-40 corridor.

This is not a good thing or a bad thing...its just the way it is.

I think a lot of it has to do with Charlotte tearing down most of its history with the urban renewal of the 50s and 60s. If we had kept a lot of those historical buildings...then I think maybe we would have felt more NC than we do today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a native Floridian, I live in Tampa, Florida born and Raised there and as a state we have that same problem. Jacksonville dosen't feel very Floridian, many people feel like as if it feels Georgian or another city out of Florida. Orlando dosen't feel very floridian It's really losing it's identity as a city wilth all the Theme Parks etc. But Tampa and Miami very Floridian! :)

I think this topic is unusual if you even have to question if a city in your state doesn't feel like the rest of the state is somewhat stupid? It is within your state so that makes it part of that state. It should be looked upon as a good thing to show how diverse your state really is. Raleigh has some things that are not found anywhere else in nc does that make it not really nc? The same is true with greensboro, ws, and charlotte.

I truly think that Charlotte belongs in NC.

In my opinion:

Charlotte has more banks and bank employees which allows more money for new construction while Greensboro has more colleges/universities and student employees.

Then you have:

Fayetteville - a military town

Southern Pines/Aberdeen - a golfing resort

Asheville - a tourist town for Biltmore Estate

(I didn't mention Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill - schools, research, government)

A lot of cities are known for something in NC and I just see Charlotte as the "Financial District" of NC.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of cities are known for something in NC and I just see Charlotte as the "Financial District" of NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Every state has cities that represent different parts of there region. SC for instance, Columbia is it's financial and educational city while MB is it's tourist city. Greenville, like Greensboro is a educational but yet commercial and industral/manufactoring city. Every state has a city that sticks out as it is more different than most of the state. Charlotte' one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of us SC folks would suggest that much of our opinion of NC was based on Charlotte, especially growing up in Rock Hill.  Now there are parts of NC that I prefer more - like Pisgah forest, and other elements that seem genuinely 'NC' such as vinegar based bbq or the Tarheels.  But Charlotte is the entrance into NC for many South Carolinians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that depends on what parts of NC you have access too. Being from the Upstate, most of my experience comes from trips to the mountains and dealing with small towns like Waynesville, Hendersonville, Saluda, etc, and the rural parts of western NC. I never really went to Charlotte except for concerts or the airport. NC has always been a distinct place to me, so the same goes for Charlotte. I can usually tell when I've crossed the state line :)

Charlotte is definately NC to me.

I would also think that most SC transplants to Charlotte would consider themselves South Carolinians who just happen to live in Charlotte moreso than North Carolinians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I would :thumbsup:

I had the chance to use the Charlotte-Douglas airport (very nice airport btw) not too long ago to Denver and back over a 4 day period. Charlotte most certainly feels like North Carolina to me with a touch of South Carolina feel also. I noticed that the southern accents were stronger there than up here in Greensboro, but I also noticed several New-York accents moreso than in the Triad. I know that this can go under the southern accents thread, but it also fits here too with the vibe of the place. Charlotte had a slight Triangle feel to it, just on a bigger scale and more of a city feel AND strangely a more southern feel than the Triad and Triangle.

I think Charlotte is a part of North Carolina. It feels diffrent because its the biggest city in North Carolina. The feeling is going to feel more fresh and urban and modern than the rest of North Carolina except a couple of other places. Charlotte is a part of North Carolina and most are proud to say that it just has a big city feel and most of north carolina is not a big city.

I would say that Charlotte still isn't as big as it thinks it is. Street-level uptown is still mainly Tryon street with a bit of College street. It's the size of a business park, just with really high buildings. Give it a few more years... after some more residential towers are built, and a little infill creeps in between them, it will seem more like a metropolis.

Suburban Charlotte doesn't feel much bigger than Fresno to me. Yes I've lived there. :rolleyes:

I would also say you can just discern a difference in the vegitation in Charlotte, compared to the rest of the piedmont. The pines are a little more rounded-topped. If feels more southern.

But I think you have to get far enough south to say, Darlington or Columbia before you really notice the change in the angle of the sun, and feel like you're on a different place on the globe.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived