Is Charlotte really North Carolina?

monsoon

Does Charlotte feel like North Carolina?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Does Charlotte feel like North Carolina?

• Yes
    • No
    • This is a dumb question

Of course Charlotte is NC, as much as Wilmington, Raleigh, Greensboro and Boone/Blowing Rock is. Part of what makes this Southern state such a great place is that we go from Manteo to Murphy and can experience the coast the Mtns. We can go from a big town to the boonies in a matter of minutes. Charlotte is a part of here, despite its apparent "big city" feel. It's feel is no different than the difference between town and countryside...Greensboro and Jackson Springs.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me throw this out purely for discussion....

I just think that some Charlottans (wow that sounds bad) Charlottonians feel supreme to the rest of the state and almost have a complex about their treatment.  Bear with me...I don't want to sound condescending, it's just been an observation.  There have been some comments from the legislature that may have led to that thinking, but I don't see the need in some (mind you) people's attitudes towards the rest of the state.  I don't think that decision makers' attitude is what should dictate attitudes expressed here - maybe demographics, geography. etc.  I commuted every weekend to Charlotte for a year, and in my experience there, Charlotte was beatiful, upscale in some areas, and bustling with people.  It felt like a bigger Raleigh, Winston, Gboro, except without the NFL, NBA or NASCAR.  I love Charlotte and am proud for it to be in my state!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have lived in Raleigh and Charlotte. I my first 19 years were near Wilmington, NC I like Raleigh and Charlotte better.

• 3 weeks later...

Charlotte is just an island of concentration in a sea of culdesacs and farms... most of which is also culdesacs and farms. I guess the 'Charlotters' have a good point that their city is further along in its development than the rest of the state (some think Raleigh will catch up; I sincerely doubt it), but being first has its toll. Other cities can use Charlotte's development as a measuring stick for what works and what doesn't.

I think it's a good city though, and I'm glad it's on our side of the border.

Archived